Wickaboag

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2012
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey All, Wicka here :hello:
So I have about $250 to work with, I know it's not a lot, *cough* timzim*
Anyways, I was wondering what you all think I should do, should I do a box of dimes a day? Or do 25 rolls of quarters, reroll, and do a couple rounds of quarters a day? I could probably even do two boxes of dimes a day if I was ambitious. :unhappysmiley:
Lately, I've been doing pennies, nickels, and some loose rolls of dimes. I got like 50$ of dimes about 3 weeks ago, and got 2 silvers, and did 100$ worth the other day, and got 1 50% 1968 Canadian, any opinions on what I should do?

Please no hate!!
Thank you very much,
Wicka :hello2:

Upvote 0

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:)

First off - get good at looking at teller trays. Buy halves if you see silver in there - same with quarters and dimes.

I would do as many boxes of dimes, and customer rolled dimes as you can. An just turn them over as fast as you can. No Free penny arcade? ( coin cointer ) that is not the end of the world. Just get 10 dime rolls, and rubber band them togeather for 50 dollar blocks that you can deposit.

remember - do not dump where you buy. That is all.

But between teller trays - loose halfs, rolls of halfs, and dimes, you should be good.

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, I have lots of $$ to CRH with, and have a bunch of money makes me sloppy. I don't keep correct counts, and the coin counters might be screwing me. Plus, I buy 500-1000 dollars worth of halves at a time that are all skunks.

So, if I had less funds, then I could be smarter about it all - and probibly do nearly as well. Because most of my finds have been from less that 150 dollars of halves bought at a time.

OP
OP
Wickaboag

Wickaboag

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2012
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Coinfetcher, being nice today? That's a good thing to see!

The tellers where I get my coins want me to roll them and bring them back :P (my Grandma is the Manager and my Cousin is the head teller ;D )
I asked for halves, and my cousin said "here I'll put the silver on top for you" So that worked out, going to ask her to save all the halves she gets for me >:D
And you think just rock the dimes?
Thanks for the input!
Wicka
oh yeah, there is a Coin counting machine, but its at a different branch of the bank, (two towns over, I go there when I do like 5 boxes of pennies a day lol! ;D )

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay, grandma manages the bank, and cousin is a head teller. that is different.

USE AND ABUSE THEM.

Have them save ALL customer rolled everything for you to look through and cherry pick. you dont need to buy anything except silver from them.

GRANDMA RUNS THE JOINT - Just show up like you freaking work there, and pull the silvers. Go there a couple days a week if you want.

Buy at other banks, and dump at grandmas. Buy halfs too, because you can dump them so easily. screw the dimes. This is too easy.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It just depends on why you are CRHing in the first place and what coins you enjoy searching.

If you just enjoy the search, $250 will buy a lot of cents to keep you busy. If silver is the goal, then I would buy all the halves I could find and use whatever remaining money to buy dimes. But, if you'd rather search nickels and/or quarters by all means buy those. Its your money...spend it the way that you enjoy. Do it your way...not mine or someone else's. The one thing that I would say that you definitely should do is that when you go to the bank(s) with $250 in your pocket for CRH purposes, spend the entire $250. There is no sense letting your money sit "idle." You have already spent the gas money to get to the bank, so you might as well try to score something.

If your goal is to turn a "profit" in this hobby, you will most likely have to increase your bankroll. Just to pay for gasoline alone, at today's prices for silver and gas you pretty much have to find 2 silver dimes or 1 40% half for every gallon of gasoline that you burn driving to banks to buy and dump coins. That will be very hard to do with only a $250 bankroll IMO.

OP
OP
Wickaboag

Wickaboag

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2012
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
I go there daily =) Get what ever I want, I can't have her break rules for me though, I live in such a small town though, 2.5k people. Only people that take rolls from bank is Dunkin' donuts, and the gas station, and a little corner store ;D So I go in and get whatever I want :D Cousin put the silver half on my pile for me.

OP
OP
Wickaboag

Wickaboag

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2012
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
It just depends on why you are CRHing in the first place and what coins you enjoy searching.

If you just enjoy the search, $250 will buy a lot of cents to keep you busy. If silver is the goal, then I would buy all the halves I could find and use whatever remaining money to buy dimes. But, if you'd rather search nickels and/or quarters by all means buy those. Its your money...spend it the way that you enjoy. Do it your way...not mine or someone else's. The one thing that I would say that you definitely should do is that when you go to the bank(s) with $250 in your pocket for CRH purposes, spend the entire $250. There is no sense letting your money sit "idle." You have already spent the gas money to get to the bank, so you might as well try to score something.

If your goal is to turn a "profit" in this hobby, you will most likely have to increase your bankroll. Just to pay for gasoline alone, at today's prices for silver and gas you pretty much have to find 2 silver dimes or 1 40% half for every gallon of gasoline that you burn driving to banks to buy and dump coins. That will be very hard to do with only a $250 bankroll IMO.

I didn't tell you I'm 15 and can't drive, I walk to the bank :P I enjoy the hunt, don't really care what I find :D Looking for war nickels, silver dimes/quarters. My mom won't let me take out money from my Acc to buy boxes of halves :c but it's what ever :P
Anyways, thanks for the tips! Looking for silver I guess :D
No need to buy gas here ;D
Wicka

PS, looking for silver to invest in, trying to get as much as I can, as quickly as I can. :P

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dimes!!!!!!! Good luck. If i was you i would go out and scrap find metal. Bring it to the scrap yard. You can make good money doing that. If you want more info pm me!!!!

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Dimes!!!!!!! Good luck. If i was you i would go out and scrap find metal. Bring it to the scrap yard. You can make good money doing that. If you want more info pm me!!!!

Yup, I agree with Tim, search the Dimes, grab the silver halves when they show up there, and I also Scrap to get extra money for CRHing, I am self employed and drivve around my area servicing my lawn accounts everyday so I can find scrap pretty easily. Good Luck, HH, Maverick.

OP
OP
Wickaboag

Wickaboag

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2012
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
Yup, I agree with Tim, search the Dimes, grab the silver halves when they show up there, and I also Scrap to get extra money for CRHing, I am self employed and drivve around my area servicing my lawn accounts everyday so I can find scrap pretty easily. Good Luck, HH, Maverick.

Hey there Mav, thanks for the tips! I don't think I could scrap, I can't fit much in a back pack, and ride a bike to the scrap yard. :\ only 15, no license yet.
But thanks for the tips! You think I should do box of dimes, or 250$ in CWR?
Hope for some input!
Wicka

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey there Mav, thanks for the tips! I don't think I could scrap, I can't fit much in a back pack, and ride a bike to the scrap yard. :\ only 15, no license yet.
But thanks for the tips! You think I should do box of dimes, or 250$ in CWR?
Hope for some input!
Wicka

All the Dimes that I have found have been in CWR's, I don't search alot of Dimes though. I will say that you are doing the right thing starting out doing this now, I wish at 15 I knew about this, I would be rich by now, well maybe not rich, but have a nice stack of silver, ( I'm 40, 41 here in a few months), so take advantage of the time you have ahead of you to do this hobby. Definetly increase your bank roll as much as you can, don't deprive your self, you are still young, so have funn and spend a little money on somethings a 15yr old would buy, but think ahead and save everything you find, it will go up in value ( we are hoping to see something like 50 to 100 dollars an once maybe in 10 years or so but who really knows. I save all I find for me later in life and if I don't need it before I die, then my kids will get it all. HH, Maverick.

OP
OP
Wickaboag

Wickaboag

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2012
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
what are your averages for Cwr? Just curious, throw a estimate if you don't know for sure, and yeah, I've been collecting silver since Iwas 12 :P Got a bar when i was 12, and some morgans, and a benny, and a walker. I wanted coins to collect. I want something that if I ever need money, I got it sitting @ home. I got a .999 Troy ounce of silver for like 15$ I think it was when i was 12. :D I liked that when i saw it at high 20's ;D
I can't increase my bank roll... I got 1000's in my bank, but my mom won't let me touch it -____- And what are normal teen things to buy btw? :P I'd like to hear that! I deprive myself socially anyways, all I did past few years is play xbox. . =.= so i figured, screw xbox, I'll mine silver from the local banks!
Thanks for the input, hope to hear from you soon!

Last edited:

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
what are your averages for Cwr? Just curious, throw a estimate if you don't know for sure, and yeah, I've been collecting silver since Iwas 12 :P Got a bar when i was 12, and some morgans, and a benny, and a walker. I wanted coins to collect. I want something that if I ever need money, I got it sitting @ home. I got a .999 Troy ounce of silver for like 15$ I think it was when i was 12. :D I liked that when i saw it at high 20's ;D
I can't increase my bank roll... I got 1000's in my bank, but my mom won't let me touch it -____- And what are normal teen things to buy btw? :P I'd like to hear that! I deprive myself socially anyways, all I did past few years is play xbox. . =.= so i figured, screw xbox, I'll mine silver from the local banks!
Thanks for the input, hope to hear from you soon!

Ya, I'm not sure what teens would buy nowa days, we didn't have all the fancy electronics and internet back then.

I would say in $100 in dimes I would find at least 1, my smaller pick up bank rolls their own change, so if I go in and get a box of dimes, it's technically CWR's.

If you want you mom to see the profit, show her what 1 of those 90% halves is worth and what the other silver coins are worth, if she sees that a dime is worth 3 bucks a quarter almost 5 and a 90% half about 10 bucks, and you can find these in boxes, she may let you order a couple to try, you can allways deposit the money back in the bank. Maverivk.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wickaboag

Wickaboag

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2012
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
Ya, I'm not sure what teens would buy nowa days, we didn't have all the fancy electronics and internet back then.

I would say in $100 in dimes I would find at least 1, my smaller pick up bank rolls their own change, so if I go in and get a box of dimes, it's technically CWR's.

If you want you mom to see the profit, show her what 1 of those 90% halves is worth and what the other silver coins are worth, if she sees that a dime is worth 3 bucks a quarter almost 5 and a 90% half about 10 bucks, and you can find these in boxes, she may let you order a couple to try, you can allways deposit the money back in the bank. Maverivk.

She might actually go for that! Thanks for the tips, I'll try it when I get back from vacation next week :P
You get 1 silver per 100$ in dimes? That's great! I get about 1 a box, although I did get 2 silver rosies in like... 50$ worth of CWR a few weeks ago... maybe I should go through the banks CWR's. I could do that in just a few trips, I run that banks circulating change ;D
Thanks for the tips though! Hope to hear from you soon, I got to leave town for a flight in 4 hours. going to bed I think :P
Goodnight, happy hunting
Wicka :notworthy:

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Be sure to put a mark on the rolls you turn back in so you dont get those picked out for you again if your going through all of them in that bank over a period of time, my small bank will let me buy a box of dimes and bring back and trade for the next box of dimes, since they wrap all of their own I just put a squiggly line down the side of each roll and mark the top of the box so they know not to give me the same box back. once I searched all their boxes I just waited till they had another one rolled up to swap out for, my bank is very cool and I bring them homemade sweets every so many weeks too so, I get some extra courtesy there. HH, Maverick.

OP
OP
Wickaboag

Wickaboag

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2012
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah, I throw a black sharpie line around each roll. =) I don't mark the boxes, because they know not to give me my own stuff ;D But hey, mind private messaging me sometime? I'd rather talk on that, then having to keep refresh every few minutes to see if you reposted :Cool: Notworthy:
But I do the same thing, bring in a re-wrapped box, for a fresh one, I don't know how much they carry but I'm sure I could go through their supply fast.. There is another bank probably 15 minute walk up the road, I have an account there, never tried CRH there.. Maybe I should once I run out of coins to peek through at this bank. (they are two different bank companies)
:O! *lightbulb*
I could bring re-wrapped boxes of dimes from my usual bank to the bank I haven't tried yet, and go through their boxes?
Thanks a lot for the ideas and input, please pm me though for further conversation! Going to Missouri in a few hours, gunna see if I can't get some Mid-West Ag in them rolls! Don't know if I'll be able to though, not having an account and all... Maybe stop at a walmart and just ask cashier for a roll of dimes.. would they do that???
Please pm me though!
Thanks a lot!
Wicka :hello:

iratepirate

Tenderfoot
Aug 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wickaboag said:
She might actually go for that! Thanks for the tips, I'll try it when I get back from vacation next week :P
You get 1 silver per 100$ in dimes? That's great! I get about 1 a box, although I did get 2 silver rosies in like... 50$ worth of CWR a few weeks ago... maybe I should go through the banks CWR's. I could do that in just a few trips, I run that banks circulating change ;D
Thanks for the tips though! Hope to hear from you soon, I got to leave town for a flight in 4 hours. going to bed I think :P
Goodnight, happy hunting
Wicka :notworthy:

Yep, Your best bet is to get that cash flow increased. As a teen you might find yourself withdrawn from your parents...but if you go the extra mile to bring her in on what you are doing she may let the leash out. Share your finds with her, let her know your smart, staying off the drugs an BS. Good luck!

AC1955

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
New Hampshire & Maine
Detector(s) used
V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster, Teknetics EurotekPro, White's Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I may be shot for saying this here, but if you are looking at silver as an investment, have your parent (or Grandma or cousin) take you to a coin shop or coin show and buy bullion. You can get nice .9999 silver coins (not legal tender) from US, other countries and private mints, for a bit over spot price. (Some sell for more money depending on the # minted). Look up daily prices here on TNet under metal prices for spot price. Usually dealers are selling about $2.00-$3.00 over spot per coin. (Today's spot was $27.83, so you can expect to pay about $30 per coin). As much fun as CRH is, buying bullion is much simpler and at .9999 the coins have more silver in them than circulated U.S. currency. JMHO

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread