My sons butt is made of metal?

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My son's butt is made of metal?

So I just got a couple of new metal detectors tonight. My son who is 8 was laying on the floor and I was joking around with him and scanned my metal detector over his butt. It actually beeped. He thought that was funny but I assured him that it must be something in the floor or in his pants. He stood up and I ran it over his backside again. It beeped. So he took his pants off and was standing there in his underwear. It beeped again! Now I was really confused. So I had him strip down so that he was completely naked. It beeped again!

I was now convinced that he must have swallowed some foil or something and just needed to pass it out of his system. He was all excited because he has a "metal butt". This was really starting to worry me because I was expecting the worst. What if he doesn't pass whatever this is? What if it is a metal staple left over from a surgery he had as a kid? And the list goes on and on.

Eventually he asked me to scan him again. This time I noticed that when I passed it over his chest it beeped as well. So I had him try it on me. It beeped when passed over my heart too. I tried it on my daughter and it beeped when passed over her heart as well.

So now I'm completely confused. My older metal detectors do not pick it up but my new ones do. Is this expected? Why would I get consistent readings on someone's butt and chest? Is it iron in the body or the electrocardio pulses in the heart? Someone please enlighten me.

Upvote 0
B

BIG61AL

Re: My son's butt is made of metal?

I think most likely it just errant signal. Try kicking the coil lightly and it will beep too. Trees if too close to my coil beep too. Swinging over a hole or dip will cause it to beep.

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Tell him the Flintstones Chewable Vitamins are NOT candy.
Other than that I wouldn't worry about it since it beeped on all three of you.

Or you may be 'not from these here parts'
*cue Twilight Zone Theme

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Blood does contain a lot of iron. Try him again with some discrimination. :wink:

And never trust a detector's responses indoors.

OP
OP
mts

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Charlie P. (NY) said:
Blood does contain a lot of iron. Try him again with some discrimination. :wink:

And never trust a detector's responses indoors.

The signal was repeatable so I don't think it was interference of any kind. At first I thought it might be picking up the TV behind him. But we moved to different rooms and tried all different kinds of tests and they all came back the same: his heart and his butt caused the detector to go off. Maybe we are from a different planet after all! :wink:

By the way, discrimination was telling me that it was just above the foil range which is why I figured he had injested a piece of Easter candy with a small bit of foil on it.

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

"scanned my metal detector over his butt. It actually beeped." :laughing9:
"So I had him strip down so that he was completely naked. It beeped again!" :laughing9:
That is insanely funny!

OP
OP
mts

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

4-H said:
"So I had him strip down so that he was completely naked. It beeped again!" :laughing9:
That is insanely funny!

I've got to tell you that the first thing that came to my mind was that scene in "Spinal Tap" where the guy is trying to get through the metal detector at the airport with a cucumber wrapped in foil in his pants. I was one step away from asking my son if I needed to do a cavity search! ;D

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

mts said:
4-H said:
That is insanely funny!

I've got to tell you that the first thing that came to my mind was that scene in "Spinal Tap" where the guy is trying to get through the metal detector at the airport with a cucumber wrapped in foil in his pants. I was one step away from asking my son if I needed to do a cavity search! ;D
Oh Gawd that poor kid!
LOL

OP
OP
mts

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

4-H said:
mts said:
4-H said:
That is insanely funny!

Oh Gawd that poor kid!
LOL

Just remember, it's YOUR fault! You are the guy who sold me these ultra-awesome detectors in the first place! ;D

2bits

Nov 19, 2009
Detector(s) used
One to many
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ok! What detector is that?
Doc

OP
OP
mts

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The detectors are Tesoro Vaquero and Silver uMax. I just received them yesterday.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I Can't pass through Security Detectors
without setting them off
they always have to use the handheld Garrett
on me.

not sure what it is

Alien Implants :tongue3:

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Cute! ...Send it into Funniest home videos.

JohnnieWalker

Nov 30, 2009
Zebulon NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari Teknetics T2

How old is he? Is he old enough for it to be silver or do you think it's just clad?

OP
OP
mts

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

JohnnieWalker said:
How old is he? Is he old enough for it to be silver or do you think it's just clad?
;D

TxMike

Mar 6, 2005
Columbus, Tx
Detector(s) used
White's
Fisher
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

I bet that trick would work on a First Sergeant I had in the Army.
Our nickname for him was "Old Iron A$$". :tongue3:

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Let's hope that Scott Baio doesn't give him pink-eye.

(Who can tell me where THAT is from?)

steve from ohio

Aug 1, 2008

mts said:
So I just got a couple of new metal detectors tonight. My son who is 8 was laying on the floor and I was joking around with him and scanned my metal detector over his butt. It actually beeped. He thought that was funny but I assured him that it must be something in the floor or in his pants. He stood up and I ran it over his backside again. It beeped. So he took his pants off and was standing there in his underwear. It beeped again! Now I was really confused. So I had him strip down so that he was completely naked. It beeped again!

I was now convinced that he must have swallowed some foil or something and just needed to pass it out of his system. He was all excited because he has a "metal butt". This was really starting to worry me because I was expecting the worst. What if he doesn't pass whatever this is? What if it is a metal staple left over from a surgery he had as a kid? And the list goes on and on.

Eventually he asked me to scan him again. This time I noticed that when I passed it over his chest it beeped as well. So I had him try it on me. It beeped when passed over my heart too. I tried it on my daughter and it beeped when passed over her heart as well.

So now I'm completely confused. My older metal detectors do not pick it up but my new ones do. Is this expected? Why would I get consistent readings on someone's butt and chest? Is it iron in the body or the electrocardio pulses in the heart? Someone please enlighten me.
That is why you need a good pin pointer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread