My treasure hunting dog finds a cache!

nathan104

Feb 23, 2006
Emory TX
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, AT Pro, propointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, my dog not only discovered a large deposit of coin, but she dug it up by eating the dirt, lol. :D

When we have used cooking grease like bacon grease, instead of pouring it down the drain, we pour it on the ground n the back yard. It is my dogs favorite place in the world :) Everytime we let her outside, she goes to that spot and licks. Well, a few days ago, I noticed a coin laying there. After looking closer, there was a whole lot of coins just laying there on top of the ground. Started pulling them up and they kept coming. Lots of coins. Most were licked clean to ;D Ive been over this spot with my detector and I actually remember getting a hit but it was very large so I passed it up. That'll teach me. It was all clad and noting was newer than 1995 so its been there at least 10 years. Very strange that these would all just be poured out there. There was a lot of quarters, nickels, dimes, pennies. Here is a picture of the find and of the treasure hunting dog. I do rent her out by the day ;)

IMG00027.jpg

She's a 3 year old Rot/Golden Retriever mix.

IMG_0100.jpg

Upvote 0

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just look at that face! :D She knows she did good! :D

Awesome dog Nathan!!

Nan ;)

thadious

Jul 13, 2006
Hemet, Ca
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT, Garret Ace 250, At Pro
quick get her stomached xrayed might be two or three dollars in there. LOL. Great story, just goes to show why they call a dog a man's best friend. HH Ted

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
Cool- strange but cool. I wonder how many she lapped up with the grease? I would re-detect the yard, she may have re-deposited some of the stash around the yard if you know what I mean. ;D :P

T

TreasureTales

Those coins were in your backyard? How long have you lived there? How old is the house? I mean, maybe somebody buried an older cache, if the house is old. Don't the bees visit that grease spot? Man, I don't think we're allowed to dump old grease in backyards here in CA? lol

R

rvbvetter

Cool!!! Time to detect that spot again. If your dog swallowed any coins, not to worry. It'll come out alright in the end. HH

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
God! Now I wish the Dutchman had poured bacon grease on his mine, we would be traking a trip! ;D ;D ;D

Mike

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre II / Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nathan, did you metal detect the dog ::) you just never know...... Great cache, pity it was not an old one though.... How much money was there in the cache?

God bless
Peter

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
GOOD DOGIE! 8)

This is a great story but it also brings up something probably most people on the Forum do not know. There are still today thousands of people in this country who do not trust banks and who bury their money and/or carry it on their person.

Who are these people? They are newcomers to this country. Some are here illegally, others come from corrupt areas where the banks steal from people.

What you found was probably part of some earlier owner or renters "ready money" stash and for some reason he or she was unable to retrieve it. If I were you I'd do a very thorough search of that yard. Many people today bury paper money in PCV pipe which can not be detected. I'd use a brass rod and do some poking around. ;)

Best,

Badger

99Brown

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2006
Illinois
What a big sweety!! That is amazing. I have to go now, I am going to cook some bacon and dump the grease in my yard. Wish me luck!! Ha ;D

99Brown

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions