56.4 KB · Views: 5,679
Upvote 0

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Re: My trommel build ( FIRST REAL TEST WITH GOLD BEARING SOIL)

looks awesome to me. good job

mr_larry

Jun 22, 2010
Northern California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I have been following this thread for a while, and have meant to comment on it before.
First things first: This thing really looks like it will get the job done. Congratulations on building such a fine machine! Your craftsmanship is superb and you have obviously done your homework.

Trommels can really process a lot of material and at the end of the day, that is how you maximize your time in the field and get the best return. I'm thinking that for California, which has a ban on dredging, maybe a trommel such as yours might be the ticket.

I have a couple of questions for you:
* How much money in materials and engines (including the water pump) do you think you spent on the project?
* Could you please make a video showing this thing in operation? Start at the head end where you feed the material in, and work your way through the process, explaining everything along the way. I would love to watch that video as I'm sure many others would.

If you need an extra laborer, I might be able to get away from California for a week this summer!

Cheers!
ML

OP
OP
jog

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

mr_larry
Thanks for the nice words.
I was just sitting here doing some figuring and I would say that I am in between the $1000.00 an $1500.00 dollar mark for total costs. The drive motor I have looked up and they sell them at Northern Tools for around $600.00. This unit I have I found used for $100.00. The pump is a 2" Trash pump and I picked it up for $350.00 with only one hour of use on it. I really like the the wet clutch and 2 to1 gear reduction, makes for stopping and starting a breeze.
I was thinking of doing a video and posting it here but have never done one and will have to do some research on how to do that.
I will be headed to the claim in the middle of next month and I will shoot a video there. One ounce will pretty much get my money back.
Maybe someone on here could talk me through the video thing.
I can always use help digging.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri

ive waited untill the end to give you my thumbs up sign of approval on your project!(not that you need my approval!) i particularly liked you chain adjustment,tow handel/adjustment and your eye for design/crasftsmenship!if i ever would want a trommel it would be like yours,but im alergic to shovels at my old age! great job and im sure your going todo very well with it on your claim!

Gramps43

Feb 27, 2011
Tillamook, OR
Detector(s) used
White's 4900/D Pro Plus
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Jog where aboust in Tillamook do you hang your hat, I'm over by Shively's apartments in one of his first houses. That is one bad nasty trommel you have built, great workmanship. So far the only thing I've built are a couple pushme/pullyou suction units, one is a basic unit (2") I refer to as my Mini Hoovah and the other is a 3" with two valves and hoses for more serious suck'n.

Y'all take care,

Gramps

OP
OP
jog

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Gramps43
Sent you a PM.
russau
Thanks for the approval, you may not think I need it but I will take whatever I can get. :laughing9:

rwells

Jun 27, 2009
Springfield Missouri
Re: My trommel build

Jog
I am into my trommel project now and it really helps to read this post and see how its done. You have commented on mine in the past and I appreciate it. I'm especially interested in your adjustments and tweaks that you felt necessary. Great job and let me know how it is working.

Rwells

OP
OP
jog

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

rwells said:
Jog
I am into my trommel project now and it really helps to read this post and see how its done. You have commented on mine in the past and I appreciate it. I'm especially interested in your adjustments and tweaks that you felt necessary. Great job and let me know how it is working.

Rwells

Sent PM

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That is a sweet looking trommel! I would like to have one, but I don't think I can afford one right now! I can weld and fabricate I just don't have a welder or the steel :'(

TURNMASTER

Oct 13, 2009
Spokane WA
Detector(s) used
X-terra 705, Explorer SE, & At Pro

That is a nice looking machine. Are you marketing them yet? Lots of money to be made selling quality tools.

Jeff

OP
OP
jog

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Not making them yet, still working a few bugs out of this one. just had another person ask me that today. I am actually in southern Oregon testing it as I right this. I will have to change a couple things when I get home. Thanks for looking....

OP
OP
jog

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Due to bad weather over eastern Oregon we where not able to make it to the claim. We went to southern Oregon instead and I did a little testing. I found an area with a real hard pack layer of flood material about 12" thick and only 6" of overburden. Very hard digging in among all the large rocks, moved about a half yard of material, maybe a yard and this is what I ended up with.

Attachments

• IMG_1918.JPG
    IMG_1918.JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 2,122
OP
OP
jog

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Made a change from the way I had the drain under the trommel screen. I had a three inch hole going straight down onto the sluice but I was having issues with the water not getting out fast enough and a lot of small rocks building up on the punch plate. Built a deeper V shaped trough down the middle of the hopper and also spun it 360 degrees so the drain is under the first half of the trommel screen and out to the side. I hope this will let the material out of the hopper faster and wash the material off the punch plate.

Attachments

• IMG_1797.JPG
    IMG_1797.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 2,064
  • IMG_1925.JPG
    IMG_1925.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 2,084

Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010

Looks good :icon_thumright:
Let me know when you start building them for sale.

Hefty

Gravel Hog

Dec 11, 2010
N. Cal - Born & Raised
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Yep, I'll even say it again. Jog, that was a darn good build. :thumbsup:
I have an appreciation for skill and engineering like that. I'll always have a stool for ya in my shop, always welcome.

OP
OP
jog

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks guys...
I have finely come out of the bad back blues and am up and about and feeling almost human again.
We are headed over east at the end of next week and feel like I should be up to giving this project a real test. I am planning on changing the riffles out with some heavy expanded metal due to water supply issues in the sluice. Not something that I want to change at the moment.
I will show the results and try and shoot a video well over there.

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Jog - I placed your video in your post and removed it from mine to avoid further confusion. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread