my two cent

adant311

Nov 13, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
MXT
Today I found my first coin that wasn't clad. I have been watching 2 men who I don't think have jobs pull goodies out of the ground all around my work. But me I'm confined to my barbed wired prison. I haven't been able to even get 5min of time to MD. The wife is do anyday with our first so time has been precious. Today I got 30 min and it paid off. They are putting in new fire hydrants on my street. As soon as the workers left I grabbed my Ace and started swinging. I was about ready to give up because all I was pulling was bottle caps when a 1864 2 cent piece popped up. I couldn't believe it. What a great feeling. Should I clean it or just leave it alone?

Attachments

• 2 cents.jpg
    2 cents.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 489
  • 2 cents back.jpg
    2 cents back.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 488
Upvote 0

Wetgreenie

Oct 14, 2005
Central Minnesota
Detector(s) used
GTI 1500, Tesoro Silver U max
That is soo cool !! Great find.

Cleaning is quite the subject. As for myself i only clean enough to knock the major stuff off.
Soap, water, and/ or olive oil with a tooth brush is about as far as I go.

49r Relics

Jan 11, 2008
Gold Country (California)
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Makro Racer 2, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Detector Pro Grey Ghost headphones, Lesche diggers, Apex picks.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice! Glad to see that you were able to score big . . . . when your time to detect is so limited. :)

flyinguy

Apr 27, 2008
central new york
Detector(s) used
2 compass coin pros
nice! if you want my 2 cents worth, find an expert on this site to advise you. sharp eye on the digger crew! grats on that new baby. set up the D.T.F. soon. (detector trust fund) Bill

Johnny Ringo Silver

Dec 6, 2007
KANSAS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE and Sunray probe
Nice Nice 2 center! Those dont show up under the coil very often, but they are a fun coin to find.
Sending a big ATA-BOY your way on an awesome first and I wish you luck on the upcoming package!! 8)

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You really should give it to one of those two guys that you see detecting at that site you were talking about. The one's that are out of work. The better looking of the two. Me. Kidding, really glad you dug that one up, what a rush! And a two-center to boot! If you have some peroxide, pour some in a small cup, (glass), and nuke it in the microwave, (without the coin), until it starts to boil. Then carefully drop the coin in. It should fizz up like an Alka-Seltzer. When it cools down, take a soft toothbrush to it.Two cent pieces are pretty hard to dig here in Colorado, so again, congrates!

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was one of my first finds too, mine was 1865. Now your hooked for sure, I know I was.

Gratz,

Keep @ it and HH!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread