JackInFlorida

Feb 28, 2007
Leesburg, FL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 - Whites PI Pro, Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About two hours before low tide, I started checking out this area where I had noticed people swimming and other folks loading and unloading jet ski's, kayaks and stuff. Thought it may be a possible place for some dumped personal possessions.

I was finding pull tab after pull tab. They all sounded different, some at pretty extreme depths, I was even waving the Vibraprobe around in the holes in about two feet of water because I was getting tired of scooping. Never even got a hit on the pinpointer. Then I would come up with a pull tab after two or three more scoops.

Anyway, one time I pulled up a spoon and figured it was from a fisherman having a meal and dropping one of wifey's spoons. As I got closer to the pseudo boat ramp, I was finding nuts and bolts and a few large pieces of metal. By this time it had been about two hours and I was getting a little tired. Also starting to get dark.

When I got home, I just dumped the stuff on the table to dry and didn't look at them till last night. I noticed the spoon looked silver, so I took it out and cleaned it up a little. It had a marking on the back: "Vernon Silver Plate".

Doing a little research shows that it is probably pretty old (early 1900s). I'm kind of interested in how it wound up on the shore of the river. I'm thinking maybe I need to revisit again when low tide comes late in the day again.

Couple of coins that have seen better days too . . .
spoon1.jpg

spoon2.jpg

Thanks, Jack

Upvote 0

Ron B

May 11, 2007
Trinidad, Colorado
Hello Jack!
I've been finding a few spoons of late as well; none in as good condition as yours however.
Have you been useing the White's PI?

GRB

OP
OP
JackInFlorida

JackInFlorida

Feb 28, 2007
Leesburg, FL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 - Whites PI Pro, Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey GRB,

Yes, the PI in the water. Only problem is that after a year, I still can't tell a coin from a pop top. I always try guessing when I hear a target and I'm always wrong.

I tried bringing the Fisher in the fresh water river, but I was always nervous that I was going to forget it is not the PI and set it down in the water. Then when I went to dig, it was kinda tough holding the unit. Have to have a way to clip it and use a long handled shovel or something for next time I go gold prospecting.

Jack

Patrol

Dec 4, 2006
Northeast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Whites Surf II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Jack it's better than tent pegs. I found two this week, one plastic and one a generic bent metal rod.

Between the two of us we could open a TentPegs-R-Us Store.
TE

hubcap76

Jun 27, 2013
Treasure Coast, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Xs 2a pro, Excalibur ll, Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be safe out in the river with all that discharge from lake Okechobee is producing toxic algae blooms in the lagoon.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread