My typical scouting hunt that doesn't produce!

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is a different type of post compared to my usual ones, about a hunt that I typically don't share on here. The reason is that it was a bust as far as the finds went, but it was a victory in regards to spending an afternoon in the woods.

After work on Tuesday I was determined to locate a cellar hole that had somehow stayed hidden on my 4 previous attempts to find it. In the past few years, I had easily located the 3 cellars I marked with an X on this map, but the last one with the ? I simply could not locate. In past hunts I had done countless overlays, studied topo maps and hiked all over the mountain side with a GPS... couldn't find it.

Untitled.jpg

After work on Tues I bungee corded my Lesche to my old mountain bike and headed up the mountain.

IMG_20160705_160402206.jpg

IMG_20160705_161204076.jpg

IMG_20160705_183556880.jpg

After considerable bushwacking I finally located what I believe to be site. I had high hopes of pockets full of buttons and coppers... but it was quiet! Couldn't even find a flat button, but many shotgun hulls that sound just like them.

IMG_20160707_120802149.jpg

So that's my typical scouting mission, that almost always turns into just a day in the woods. It was still fun, but would have been a lot cooler if I came back with some keepers.

To make up for it, I did get out to my other site last night and found some keepers which I'll share in the next few days once preservation is complete.

Happy Hunting everyone and good luck finding those long lost sites.

Upvote 17
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice research and determination! :headbang: There may be goodies still around, so don't give up yet!

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A bad day detecting is still better than a good day at work. Glad you got out and enjoyed the woods. Did you do a spiral pattern from the center of the site until you hit a target and then concentrate in the area?

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice research and field work. You certainly put in the time and effort. Maybe next trip will bring home the coppers, old silvers, and buttons.

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, that's about right. They all can't be winners but it's nice to check them off the list and move on to the next one. That being said, you would think there would be more there given it was a house site.

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice Brad i scouted a cellar on the mountain bike Sunday..Big one too soon i will hit it..Due diligence pays off in this hobby..Just keep your chest puffed out like Joey!

~Blaze

Attachments

• sfw_hero_2_book022_thewalk_cock_eg_pobeda.jpg
    sfw_hero_2_book022_thewalk_cock_eg_pobeda.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 62

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sooner or later the guy that puts the work in has big success. Maybe you just missed it and it's still hiding there. At any rate sounds like a fun scouting mission!

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice Brad i scouted a cellar on the mountain bike Sunday..Big one too soon i will hit it..Due diligence pays off in this hobby..Just keep your chest puffed out like Joey!

~Blaze

:laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks everyone! Just wanted to do an atypical post for me since I know you all can relate to these "hunts". Like my tnet name suggests, my main goal in every hunt is just to be outdoors. Then I'm never let down... but its alway great to combine the outdoors with saving history. I did spend the last two evenings at my main site sifting... so I'll post those results in a couple days after some iron is preserved.

A bad day detecting is still better than a good day at work. Glad you got out and enjoyed the woods. Did you do a spiral pattern from the center of the site until you hit a target and then concentrate in the area?

Totally! This place was weird. After looking for an hour I was about to hike back to relocate a different hole I found hiking that's not on any map. As I was leaving I saw a large stone wall, so I hiked along it. Then I saw the cabin site... it wasn't a cellar, but had 8 large stone stacked footers that were a few feet above the ground. The iron was in tiny patches and I dug some nails just to verify they weren't modern wire nails... perhaps I was at an out building foundation and I haven't found the main site!? I will return for one more try. I had hit the other three cellars years before and they were pounded... I squeezed out a few buttons from between the iron, but whoever hit them was pretty good.

Last edited:

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice post Brad. I enjoyed the play-by-play in real time over texts - I hope we got you pumped! Lol. That said, I also enjoy your post because it demonstrates hunts we've all had. It represents the typical and frequent hard work dedicated hunters do behind the scenes and often out of view of the forum.
Some people probably say, "oh that Brad is always finding amazing ****!". I know I say that about your finds too, but I also know you work your arse off for your finds. I know you'll be on your next awesome site soon. Cheerio!

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice post Brad. I enjoyed the play-by-play in real time over texts - I hope we got you pumped! Lol. That said, I also enjoy your post because it demonstrates hunts we've all had. It represents the typical and frequent hard work dedicated hunters do behind the scenes and often out of view of the forum.
Some people probably say, "oh that Brad is always finding amazing ****!". I know I say that about your finds too, but I also know you work your arse off for your finds. I know you'll be on your next awesome site soon. Cheerio!

You guys definitely helped me get excited to locate this site again. I learned a lot from Abe up in ME about what to look for when there is no cellar hole. Those long lost cabins, with no physical evidence left, can be some of the best hidden spots out there. Right before I rode off the mountain, I did locate some brambles that I want to go inspect some more in the future.

I wish it was as easy as the posts I share make it look. The reality is most of my scouting hunts look like this one and I never even take pictures. When I get home, I dump the lead and shell casings in a box in my garage then sooth my defeat at my main site where I get the goods. I have started reaching diminishing returns at my main site, and most of my backups are mediocre, so I need to find my next best spot.

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

~Blaze

Let's keep this on-topic please.....

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahhh, just like 80+% of my Hunts & it is Dang hard work finding decent sites these days , Correct me it i'm wrong but there seem' s to have been a pretty big influx of new hunters in the past few years .

I love the outdoors as well & if I forget my camera it's almost like forgetting my Bug Spray ,.... Well not that bad.

I love Box Turtles & if there is one thing that can stop my hunt in it's tracks ; it's seeing a Beautiful Turtle.

I photograph as many as I can , & other Wild life as well even Insects , Love trees as well.

I have been saving all my shotgun brass & other Shells for the past 5 or so years ,love finding older dropped live cartridges & even older Cast Bullets that are in good shape

Other than being a Hoarder , I don't know why I save all this stuff.

Great Thread & Keep on Adventuring.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread