My Vaquero is on the truck for delivery today

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I promise she will find more of everything.

Even the changing in the color of the dirt......my dirt is that bad, in disc mode, the detector goes off. In all metal, you can hear the ground balance needing to be reset....

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in the same case, waiting for my first Tesoro, hopes it arrives tomorrow. Can't wait to learn the Tesoro "language". HH!

OP
OP
Tony (Michigan)

Tony (Michigan)

May 17, 2017
Lapeer County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer, E-trac, Muskateer, Tesoro, Deus, White's, Detech, DMC IIb, and others
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I promise she will find more of everything.

Even the changing in the color of the dirt......my dirt is that bad, in disc mode, the detector goes off. In all metal, you can hear the ground balance needing to be reset....

I didn't know Arkansas dirt was that bad. Do you use other detectors?

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't know Arkansas dirt was that bad. Do you use other detectors?

Oh yeah, with the Fisher F5 I can watch the dirty dirt change. On the F75 I can ground balance at 55, swing the detector in disc mode 4 feet and it sounds off. Rebalance at 60 and it will tell me to dig when I sweep back.

I showed a friend with a Tesoro, I can pull a tone on the 55 dirt then push a tone on the 60 dirt 4 feet away.

That's how detectors work, a change of mineralization under the coil.

I feel one of the advantages of hunting in all metal....

Bill G

Jan 8, 2006
Congrats find lots of stuff...You made a good choice in getting the Vaquero.

Happy Hunting,
Bill G

OP
OP
Tony (Michigan)

Tony (Michigan)

May 17, 2017
Lapeer County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats find lots of stuff...You made a good choice in getting the Vaquero.

Happy Hunting,
Bill G
Tonight I took the Vaquero out just for a very short hunt in my iron nail-laden yard.
Here is a picture of the nail I found:
Iron nail found with Vaquero.gif
I had disc up to accept clad and silver coins. This target was pretty much accepted.
After I dug it out it was rejected. Most likely the iron halo around it was setting off the detector. It was about 6 inches down.
I went over the hole and plug after pulling it out but there was nothing.
I wish I knew a good way to avoid digging these. Anyone know of any trick?

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
congratulations on the new Vaquero!

Tonight I took the Vaquero out just for a very short hunt in my iron nail-laden yard.
Here is a picture of the nail I found:
View attachment 1457611
I had disc up to accept clad and silver coins. This target was pretty much accepted.
After I dug it out it was rejected. Most likely the iron halo around it was setting off the detector. It was about 6 inches down.
I went over the hole and plug after pulling it out but there was nothing.
I wish I knew a good way to avoid digging these. Anyone know of any trick?

If you're using the 11x8 Widescan, there's not much you can do except to run disc higher..or switch to a concentric coil. The iron will give a shorter duration, scratchier signal, then start with popping and clicking, as you go higher with the discrimination...'till it's gone. By then, nickels and small gold may be disc'ed out as well.

Best way to avoid small iron though? Ask your Bandido that question.. :tongue3:

Pretty sure your Bandido would have passed over that nail while still sounding off on a nickel under the coil, at the same time. I think the Vaquero will always have a little harder time rejecting the iron than the Bandido has with it, no matter which coil you use..but concentrics sure do help there. Bandidos are "the stuff" in iron.

The coil that seems to work best on the Vaquero for disc'ing out metals where they're marked on the faceplate (on my Vaqueros, anyway), is the 5.75 concentric. I think it's a "must have" coil, for any land Tesoro.
The 11x8 Widescan (if you have that one) is nice for coverage, light weight, well made and sensitive.. but it's not the best in trash, especially when you want to disc out iron.

Electricfrontporch

Dec 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those crazy bent nails are always problematic.
Seems like the curves let it slip past the discriminator.
But they usually seem to have a separate signal at each end rather than one signal.
And tend to sound a little rougher, not smooth like a coin.

OP
OP
Tony (Michigan)

Tony (Michigan)

May 17, 2017
Lapeer County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you're using the 11x8 Widescan, there's not much you can do except to run disc higher..or switch to a concentric coil. The iron will give a shorter duration, scratchier signal, then start with popping and clicking, as you go higher with the discrimination...'till it's gone. By then, nickels and small gold may be disc'ed out as well.

Best way to avoid small iron though? Ask your Bandido that question.. :tongue3:

Pretty sure your Bandido would have passed over that nail while still sounding off on a nickel under the coil, at the same time. I think the Vaquero will always have a little harder time rejecting the iron than the Bandido has with it, no matter which coil you use..but concentrics sure do help there. Bandidos are "the stuff" in iron.

The coil that seems to work best on the Vaquero for disc'ing out metals where they're marked on the faceplate (on my Vaqueros, anyway), is the 5.75 concentric. I think it's a "must have" coil, for any land Tesoro.
The 11x8 Widescan (if you have that one) is nice for coverage, light weight, well made and sensitive.. but it's not the best in trash, especially when you want to disc out iron.

Hi pinenut, ole buddy, ole pal, LOL,
Thanks for the information. I was using the 5.75 Concentric. When I get a target like this that sounds partially good, I try to sweep in different directions to gather more information. The problem is that a dime, right next to an iron nail
may hit in one direction but not another. It kinda, sorta sounded like a deep silver but not repeatable in all directions. So I had my doubts but decided to dig just in case I was surprised.
By the way, Monte is selling me his Bandido II µMax (microMax). I'm pretty sure the Vaq. coils won't work on it since they are femail ended connectors and the Bandido is male?

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Vaq is 4 pin Delta, Bandido is 5 pin Epsilon.....

Different windings too if you think about changing connectors as both types use four wires.

OP
OP
Tony (Michigan)

Tony (Michigan)

May 17, 2017
Lapeer County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Vaq is 4 pin Delta, Bandido is 5 pin Epsilon.....

Different windings too if you think about changing connectors as both types use four wires.

Do 5 pin Tesoro detectors usually do better in iron nail trash?

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yes

I'll defer to the experts, but as I see it, the 5 pin Tesoro's are lower power, and lower frequency and tend to be ED120 in their DISC range of adjustment.

The Vaquero is ED180 (debates continue about this), higher frequency, and uses the H.O.T. circuitry that gives it higher transmit power.

OP
OP
Tony (Michigan)

Tony (Michigan)

May 17, 2017
Lapeer County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes

I'll defer to the experts, but as I see it, the 5 pin Tesoro's are lower power, and lower frequency and tend to be ED120 in their DISC range of adjustment.

The Vaquero is ED180 (debates continue about this), higher frequency, and uses the H.O.T. circuitry that gives it higher transmit power.

Is the Bandido II µMax ED120? I just bought one from Monte. The check is in the mail, anyway. :-)

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Like Steve says, yes.

Seems to me that nearly all of my 5 pin machines work better in iron trash, yet all of my 4 pin machines are deeper. There are times and places for each.

Have you tried your original Bandido to see how it does with that nail? Or steel bottlecaps? Try it, then test the Vaquero the same way and let us know what you think.

At this point, I've tried quite a few Tesoros, most of which I can take out whenever I want. Last count, that's about 15+ Tesoros. My "HOT" machines usually don't get put in the car, unless I know I'm going to less trashy spots, in search of best depth. I do take them all in rotation, often to remind myself of which I like best, and why.
Since I do lots of trashy areas, I usually run the Bandido II μmax, or Eldorado or Outlaw, and sometimes Mojave.
I PREFER their trash discrimination over that of the "HOTs", and I've found plenty with each one.
SO, even though others find their HOT machines to be better, I say "use whatever you like". Happy hunting to all! :sunny:

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is the Bandido II µMax ED120? I just bought one from Monte. The check is in the mail, anyway. :-)

Sure is. Congratulations, BTW.
You probably won't find it to work any better in trash than your original Bandido does, but the μmax is easier to swing.

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes to y it's ed120.
Also the way it's spread, you are able to differentiate dimes quarters and silver. You can disc out a dime and still beep on quarters and silver. You can disc out quarters and dimes and still hit silver. Copper pennies are in there somewhere too.
But it allows for what I call "super cherry picking" lol.
Great unit and if it's from Monte it'll be a good u it as far as functionality.
Congrats on the B2mm!!!
The disc is a little different as it's numbers instead of words, but in a way can make it easier to learn.

OP
OP
Tony (Michigan)

Tony (Michigan)

May 17, 2017
Lapeer County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sure is. Congratulations, BTW.
You probably won't find it to work any better in trash than your original Bandido does, but the μmax is easier to swing.
I can't believe how teeny the control box is on my new Vaquero! Sure is a lot different from my huge Minelabs.

I notice the Ground Balance on my old Bandido (not II and not the µMax) just turns and turns and it is hard to even feel when I've come to the end of the 10th turn. On the Vaquero there is a very strong resistance at the 3rd turn.
I probably should send in my Bandido and have them put in a new GB pot? I wonder how much that will cost since I'm not the original owner?
I can still GB it but always wonder where the stop is.

By the way, to Super Tune a Bandido, after ground balancing it, do you turn the GB one turn counter-clockwise or less or more?

OP
OP
Tony (Michigan)

Tony (Michigan)

May 17, 2017
Lapeer County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes to y it's ed120.
Also the way it's spread, you are able to differentiate dimes quarters and silver. You can disc out a dime and still beep on quarters and silver. You can disc out quarters and dimes and still hit silver. Copper pennies are in there somewhere too.
But it allows for what I call "super cherry picking" lol.
Great unit and if it's from Monte it'll be a good u it as far as functionality.
Congrats on the B2mm!!!
The disc is a little different as it's numbers instead of words, but in a way can make it easier to learn.

Yo, Stoof! Thanks!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread