My visit to Ascension Island.

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
Ascension Island is located in the South Atlantic Ocean. Where? Find a world map. Go to Brazil, put you left index finger on the outer most point of Brazil. Now take your right hand and place you right index finger on Africa just opposite your left index finger. Now bring them together in the middle of the ocean you will find a dot called Ascension Island. Hope you enjoy the pictures of this volcanic piece of real estate.

Ray S

Attachments

• base sign.JPG
    base sign.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 271
  • Base.JPG
    Base.JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 259
  • dishes.JPG
    dishes.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 253
  • Landscape view.JPG
    Landscape view.JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 256
  • grotto.JPG
    grotto.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 248
  • tracking dish.JPG
    tracking dish.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 255
  • view across the runway.JPG
    view across the runway.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 253

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Wow! what a place! Something I might never have seen had you not shared it! Thanks! :D

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
Great pics. Might be some interesting finds if you are allowed to detect there. Very interesting history about Ascension Island. Have a safe trip back home and thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
Ray S ECenFL

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
wesfrye53 said:
Ray...that looks like a very interesting place. Anybody there besides the U. S. Air Force?

British Cable and Wirless has a major transmitter there. Also some British forces are located on another base on the island. The island of Ascension is now governed by St. Helena.

Check this link for all the facts you could care to read:
http://www.mysterra.org/webmag/ascension-island/history.html

Ray S.

OP
OP
Ray S ECenFL

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
RON (PA) said:
Great pics. Might be some interesting finds if you are allowed to detect there. Very interesting history about Ascension Island. Have a safe trip back home and thanks for sharing.

I have detected there several times over the years and have turned many items over to a local museum for display. My only problem is transportation while I am there. Rental cars are a bit expensive, $40 a day, when you can find one. As you can imagine it is a rather remote place and Avis and Hertz are not primary rental agencies there. Local rental office is called Obsidian. Needless to say I do a lot of hiking. Carry my XLT in a back pack. Quite rugged terrain there and you get a lot of exercise.

Some of the items found were British military buttons from 1800 period. Various buttons from US forces WW2 era. About a dozen musket balls. Various relics of all sizes and shapes such as buckles, tools, bullets and uniform insignia parts such as metal buttons and an oak cluster resembling a wreath. Even found some hand forged copper nails.

Ray S.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations RAY!

Now, you just need to get over to US Navy Base at Diego Garcia in the Indian Ocean, and US Navy base at Adak, AK, for the grand threesome of remote places to visit.

Maybe you could get a Travel Channel Show out of it?

Mike

OP
OP
Ray S ECenFL

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
gollum said:
Congratulations RAY!

Now, you just need to get over to US Navy Base at Diego Garcia in the Indian Ocean, and US Navy base at Adak, AK, for the grand threesome of remote places to visit.

Maybe you could get a Travel Channel Show out of it?

Mike

You left out the island of Kwajalein, in the Pacific and Andros Island in the Bahamas. The show could be called " Treasure Hunting around the World".

If you know any good agents, put in a good word for me. ;D

Ray S

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ray, thanks for taking us on a tour of Ascension Island. I right away thought about the Azores (military fuel stop), & had to do some searching of exact location. Lesson learned...miles & miles apart.

;) RR

OP
OP
Ray S ECenFL

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
River Rat said:
Ray, thanks for taking us on a tour of Ascension Island. I right away thought about the Azores (military fuel stop), & had to do some searching of exact location. Lesson learned...miles & miles apart.

;) RR

Hi RR,
Ascension is a very unique place. 3 hour flight to island of Antigua for refueling then 7.5 hours to Ascension. Long trip for sure.

Ray S.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread