Myrtle Creek Oregon

Rebel73153

Aug 12, 2010
Roseburg,Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone here do any prospecting at Myrtle Creek on the South Umpqua? Wife and i plan to be there Sunday if it isn't raining for some detecting and maybe some sluicing. Would like to meet up with any others. We will be on the upstream side of the bridge that crosses the river from I-5 to Myrtle Creek.

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never had the chance to work the South Umpqua but talked to a guy who had done some dredging up river from there and it sounded like he had done pretty good. While traveling past the river in several spots it appears to have some great bedrock and rocky sections. I think I would be looking for those cracks that hold all that good gold.
Good luck and let us know how you do.

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
is the old hotel still there? Broke down in 1974 there cause my truck blew a rod.

OP
OP
Rebel73153

Rebel73153

Aug 12, 2010
Roseburg,Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure which Old Hotel? There are a lot of Old places in Myrtle Creek. :)
And as for bedrock, yep, there are some good spots for that. That is what i plan to do tomorrow is clean out cracks and depressions and run them through the sluice.

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rebel73153 said:
Not sure which Old Hotel? There are a lot of Old places in Myrtle Creek. :)
And as for bedrock, yep, there are some good spots for that. That is what i plan to do tomorrow is clean out cracks and depressions and run them through the sluice.
:thumbsup:

Nashoba

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2006
Washington and Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace250/Prospecter Bounty hunter(Backup)
Just wondering how you did. I used to run my sluice there quite a lot. Small flakes and flower for the most part but gold nonetheless.

~Nash~

OP
OP
Rebel73153

Rebel73153

Aug 12, 2010
Roseburg,Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like you, mostly real fine flour gold. Never have found any large gold there but there is a lot of the flour gold. But it sure takes a Lot of work for a Little gold.

Nitro 54

Mar 12, 2005
Myrtle Creek, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX - W/ DX-1 ,, GMT gold getter
At Dole Bar I will average only about a 1/2 gr. per 5 gallon bucket through my sluice box. Not very good pickings, but every so often someone will hit a pocket and pull a ounce or two from a hot spot.

OP
OP
Rebel73153

Rebel73153

Aug 12, 2010
Roseburg,Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea, i have been running cons through my mini sluice and Blue Bowl the last few days and the pickings have been slim. I tried detecting there but too much trash in the ground. Will probably be down there again before winter sets in if the rains stop for a while.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread