Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trip & Results with modification to A52 sluice

Hello fellow gold seekers,
On 20 Sept I found myself going down the side wall of a canyon on my way to my favorite river and prospecting site with my modified A52 sluice. The weather was mild as three days of storm clouds had just finished going through, the mild temperatures were appreciated as the pack weighed out around 80 lbs.
181_8165.JPG

The picture was taken by me shortly after I arrived at the camp site so the sweat is still running down my back. Yes, I carried all of that in just as you see it save for the insurance policy I carry which is on a rock on the ground on the left side of the picture. It is amazing how those "oh I will just throw this in for fun" things add up quickly to 80 lbs. Note the latest in High Tech Camp water bottles, that's the white looking jug on the side of the pack, waste not want not.

The next picture shows the prospecting site before I started working it.
183_8316.JPG

The next picture shows the prospecting site on 20 Sept as I had left it a few weeks back. Note that the left side has been back filled with boulders.
181_8165.JPG

The camp fire on the first night was really inviting as the temperatures in the sierras are falling quickly in the evenings. The mornings were flat out cold! Note the buckets in the background at the prospecting site on the other side of the river.
183_8320.JPG

Tuesday morning found the sluice modification being put to work in the river. The modification was to add the two support bars at the rear of the flare so the sifter would be held but could still be moved back and forth to wash the raw material being put into the sifter. The previous method of sifting the ore is on either side of the sluice, they are the 5 gallon bucket and the modified mesh waste paper basket. The bucket/waste basket works well but any amount over two shovels full really taxes the back. The sifter being mounted on the back of the sluice takes two small shovels full of raw material. This worked ok as long as I suported myslef with one hand on the rocks as the sifter was moved back and forth. Otherwise the back saw way too much strain. After using this system I've decided to add an 8" extension to the flare so the sifter mount is further away from the stock black matting to eliminate some of the turbulence of the water contacting the mount bars.
183_8326.JPG

The next picture shows the sluice ready to have the concentrates washed down into the concentrates bucket. Note that the bucket is rectangular, that an A52 fits all the way to the bottom of the bucket Without Forcing the Sides of the Bucket out and even when washing just the aluminium part of the sluice down does not require that the spring side clamps be attached to the side walls, they just swing in as the bottom of the sluice pan slides into the bucket. An A52 Does Not Properly fit into a 5 gallon bucket and if it goes in too far it can split the sides of a 5 gal. bucket. The blue recycle bucket cost less than the black bucket of the same size and it can be found easier at the site.
183_8334_r1.jpg

My prospecting site has one sad quirk, it floods when digging into the floor or side walls close to the floor of the trench. In the picture I've dug down in the center of the trench as well as under the forward rock on the floor of the trench which led me to dig under the main boulder on the right. I thought I was going to be in Gravy as under the main boulder there was lots of clay and further towards the right mucky/heavy rotting material. I found No Gold in the clay or muck! The clay was moist but thick and took some mushing to get it to disolve in water. To be able to see what I'm doing I have to bucket the water out and work quickly as it refills in ~ 5 minutes. The picture shows clear water before I've touched it, touch it and the whole pool clouds because of the silt.
183_8341.JPG

With no gold found in the center or the far right I tried to dry the area some by fillin it in with dry dirt. With that done I moved to the left side of the trench. I started digging in front of the dark grey rock and found a little gold, after two test digs and getting nothing on the second one I moved further to the right. Test dig and move further to the right till I test dug in front of the large pale grey rock and that is where I obtained the first good gold of the trip
183_8366_r1.jpg
183_8398.JPG
The first good gold was found along the lower front edge of the boulder in picture above but again it was near the floor level. I dug again in that area but that one pocket of color was all that was there. I checked out removing the boulder but it was sunk deep into the floor so I had to let it go.

Here's a picture of all the gold found from this trip. The cube shaped item is an Iron Pyrite (fools gold) crystal that has oxidized and to the right of it is a small shotgun pellet, grey from oxidation. I also found a perfect lead .22 slug, probably shot into the water and was never deformed.
184_8404.JPG

Now was time to shut the site down and that meant filling in the other half of the site with boulders, any volunteers out there?? Ok just me but I got it done. I wanted to fill it in as I'd disturbed several main boulders and without filling I felt the hillside would be removed in the 2011 spring floods/melt runoff. With large boulders in the bottom and various sized ones filling up the rest of the dig above its original height from when I first got there I feel the site will absorb the dirt and rocks the river will throw at it and return to what it looked like originally.
184_8417.JPG

And for a last rememberance of the site that provided me with such interesting learning and exercise, here's me sitting on my rock pile.
184_8420.JPG

I found the A52 required 4 to 5 cleanouts per 5 gallon bucket of raw material. I tried a variety of positions/angles for the box but found the riffles just filled up quickly with the fines from my ~ 1/4" sifting. The material was fed in slowly, a little time was given between finishing one sample load before the next was put into the sifter and even when I allowed the sluice to sit idle for 20 to 30 minutes the riffles cleared out some but refilled quickly. Maybe I had the sluice too far down into the water but I had a wing dam funneling water into the flare so I had good water flow/velocity. I'd have to say that this sluice requires a lot of work. The blue bucket was a great help in making the task of washing the sluice down much easier than with a round 5 gallon bucket but it was still time lost and more work than I thought it should have been. I'd like to try a McKirk sluice, their #0 Au Trap would be my choice, 181_8165.JPG but that is not likely to happen this year.

Attachments

• 184_8444.JPG
    184_8444.JPG
    82.6 KB · Views: 1,751
OP
OP
63bkpkr

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Trip & Results with modification to A52 sluice

Well I do not understand why that second picture of my arrival at the camp site is there but it is.

And to be proper, I hope you find something useful in my little story and till next time, 63bkpkr

eureka77

May 8, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
tek.alpha2000
Nokta Fores Core
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Awesome man! Wish I could do something like that. To much private land to just go off like an old 49'er. Good write-up and pic.s too.
Something like that really makes the saying '' the gold is just secondary'' true. :thumbsup:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Nice pics and narrative, 63. Good work! TTC

OP
OP
63bkpkr

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Trip & Results with modification to A52 sluice Eureka77

Hi Eureka77,
Except for when I was using my Whites GMT to confirm there was gold here the rest of the work WAS like the 49ers. After all moving rocks by hand is just that, using a pry bar to move large boulders is the same now the pans and the sluice boxes are I suppose a little better but even then I was doing what the 49ers were doing and it gave me some humility to think about them. They came in when the trails were maybe not even there, they did not have nice packs/clothes/sleeping bags/rain protection/etc., rice and beans and biscuits for months wow, I had it easy sort of.

Being out in that country is a special treat and the funny smell, that's fresh air. And those moon lit nights!

183_8363.JPG

Thanks for looking and responding, 63bkpkr

OP
OP
63bkpkr

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Trip & Results with modification to A52 sluice TTC

Hi Terry,

How is the learning curve going on the GMT and Gold Bug2? Any favorites or uses where one excels?? What have you found?

By the way, I sent my original GMT story to Whites and they are going to use it, already received the $100 certificate for accessories. Now that is a special thank you for doing what we have fun at!

63bkpkr

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Looks like tons a fun but bummer on the skinny gold production. I just gotta ask why the ungodly amount of cleanups=4-5 for a single lousy 5 gal bucket a materials run?? 3-4 buckets fulls ONCE maybe but??????? Smells like the NFTrinity to me???tons a au 2 u 2-John

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

i agree with john......to many clean ups i hope your not equating "any" build up of material behind your riffles as "filling up" even your sluice box works trust it....i would not break down and clean our for at least ten full buckets of bank run through a classifier....or heres an aide spend one day screening panning samples if you wanna see if your in a pay layer then spend a day sluiceing the stockpiled material...more dirt dug is more gold.....when you sluice dont have to much flow...dont bury your riffles..thats "Filling up" and as long as you see material moving through your sluice and small pebbles moving around and even against the flow(yes upstream) your box is working and your recovery is more than acceptable as long as you move MORE material.
also if you are seeing your carpet and expandeed behind your riffles very quickly while feeding you have too much flow and are losing gold because its never reaching the bottom of your sluice......promise :-\

OP
OP
63bkpkr

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Trip & Results with modification to A52 sluice Hoser & Pville

Hoser John & Pvillehunter,
GOOD COMMENTS! I've been concerned about the cleanouts as well as the amount of water to be used and as can be seen in the pictures, this time I went with the sluice completely submerged and at an angle. The previous session I had the top of the flare out of the water say 2 inches and the walls of the outlet out by 1 inch. In both cases "I thought" there was too much buildup of material and "to me" that meant the riffles were no longer working. I know I lost gold on the previous trip but maybe that was because I'm getting flat nuggets and at times those just "kite" right out the end of the sluice as it was not in the pan when I finished panning the concentrates. Here's a picture of my riffles when I considered them full. When I looked at them in the water I could not see how gold could get behind the buildup so I chose to clean the system.
183_8342.JPG

Pville I think you are saying that even with this buildup that the gold still drops below the buildup, is that correct? Hoser what I got from this trip may be substandard by you but for a novice like me who's rarely gotten anything like this it is a good take. I also felt the pickings were slim but I was getting better gold than most other times so I kept at it doing a lot of experimentation and trying to learn while being in this great place. Prospecting is hard work and I appreciate your help in getting me through this learning stage as hopefully it will reduce the heavy labor at least some.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

some people go out and try several times and get nothing....if your goal was to find gold than you are a success :icon_thumleft: ;D :headbang: alot of people your age are fata$$es sitting and doing less alot of people my age are even worse as th Aussies say " good on ya" soooo think of it how did the gold your digging get where it is? while the river/creek was at flood stage, wich is the ONLY time gold the size youre recovering is moving...gold that is moving in the creek if not at the bottom quickly gets to the bottom and keeps moving until it hits a trap or low preassure zone and slows and stops.if you were to drop some gold into that racing slurry in that creek/river the gold would quickly work its way down.Your sluice is that river/creek minimized the physics stay the same the gold traps are absolutely predictable unlike in the river /creek. so as long as you see the light color material dancing around your good... put your finger behind a riffle you will feel how loose and suspended the material is...if the material behind the riffle feels packed it might be time to clean up or if your seeing black sand building up on top of light sand its absolutely time to clean up. i dont recomend ever having the majority of your sluice walls under the waters surface.. your losing the velocity vs. cfm that helps the sluice do what it does. actually you shold see the effects the riffles have on the water i.e. " bumps" on the surface of the water. one inch of drop per foot and the depth of the water over the riffle about the same as the height of the riffle..if your worried about gold loss and "kiteing" ( is that a word?) and gold loss dig your tailings and rerun them cause any gold you lost didnt go past there..i gaurantee youll never worry about it again. 8)

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: Trip & Results with modification to A52 sluice TTC

63bkpkr said:
Hi Terry,

How is the learning curve going on the GMT and Gold Bug2? Any favorites or uses where one excels?? What have you found?

By the way, I sent my original GMT story to Whites and they are going to use it, already received the $100 certificate for accessories. Now that is a special thank you for doing what we have fun at!

63bkpkr
Hey 63, I have found a few horseshoes. Lots of BB's and tons (as in TONS) of hot rocks! Having fun. My most interesting find is some metal pellets about the size of .22 bullets. But they're not lead ... too hard. I think they are melted aluminum cans as they were found on ground that has "ash" in it. Probably a trash burn. I'm about 2 days away from my video "production" on ground balancing the GMT and GB2 so I will save my choice for "the big show". BTW: here's a tip for those who are new to metal detecting... I made up a set of test strips for testing the two machines. As the pic shows, I have one for iron, aluminum, gold... etc. I made them using a hot laminator. A good thing to have for any md testing. I can bury the strip at a precise depth to "see" and "hear" what my md is indicating. Later, friend. TTC

Attachments

• IMG_0692.jpg
    IMG_0692.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 1,616
OP
OP
63bkpkr

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Trip & Results with modification to A52 sluice Pvillehunter

Pvillehunter, you are the man! You've explained soooo much and it is a comfort to my non-couchpotato heart to learn these things. Thanks Man!! Good On Ya!!

In Feb 2010 I was in need of loosing weight so I started dieting and riding my bicycle, I made the diet up from some food info I read in a fitness magazine. I've lost almost 20 lbs, I'm feeling good and with the loads I've toted in and out of the canyon this year I'd say the plan has worked.
The fourth trip I've just finished may not be the last but IF there is another trip I will go to a NEW area and that means it is likely to take some time to learn my way around. First off I will start with a Trout dinner, my first in about 7 years and then we will see about some gold. If I'm lucky I will have lost enough weight for my wet suit to fit me again. I bought it back in the early 90's when I weighed 155 lbs and when I also bought a 2" Keene backpackable dredge. I carried in the dredge, dredge necessaries like gas, the wet suit and this along with my typical pack, ~ 200 lbs of gear. NO, I did not carry it in all at once, took three trips in and three trips out. Once I carried this stuff cross country as well as up and down the mountain. However, I was super fit then and I am not that fit now but would like to be. Oh, I'm just short of 66.5 yrs in age. Notice I did not say old, I'm not old yet just older.

Regards, Herb

maui

Dec 3, 2007
maui, hawaii
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

63, thanks much for sharing your adventures and it was a good read, enjoyable. sounds to me
like you are in real good shape to be carrying all that gear especially at your young age. smile
try to keep us posted on your outings and pictures are always good.
take care. ron

maui

Dec 3, 2007
maui, hawaii
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

pville, good info. for us guys that are still learning, thanks much
take care. ron

terry, sounds like you sure hit on a good idea with the differant metal id.s and waiting to read your
info. on the gb 2 and the gmt. when you complete it.
take care. ron

Astrobouncer

Jun 21, 2009

First off, great thread! I really like the pictures and the tale to go along with them. Second, that might not be a bonanza of gold for the west coasters, but to me it looks fabulous. I hope to be just as mobile as you at that age!

And finally, if you are concerned with cleanups slowing you down on your sluice, you might consider making a drop riffle sluice. You will be glad you did later, I know I am! I used to use several different conventional sluice boxes but after making a couple drop riffle sluices, I now use them exclusively.

The benefits of a drop riffle:

Cleanup means picking up the sluice, tilting it and pouring water down its length into a bucket. Done. No flipping riffles, picking up carpet etc. Faster cleanup time means more time spent running material which = more gold.

The vortex on a drop riffle works similar to conventional riffles, with one big difference. Heavier stuff is pushed down into the bottom of the riffles. This means that you can keep running a drop riffle sluice and the lighter stuff will always settle on top and then be carried away. You can keep running a drop riffle until you completely fill the riffles with golden goodness, you don't have to stop and cleanup until the riffles are full of gold.

Gold wont make it very far down the sluice, usually the first 4-5 riffles is where mine catches the majority of the gold, and that's fine stuff too. That might sound like a far way for a conventional sluice, until you understand that my drop riffle sluice has riffles that are right next to each other the entire length of the sluice.

It will catch fine gold as well as coarse, ask anyone who runs a Le trap how fine a gold they get. To catch the real fine stuff you might have to run a little slower water then you normally would, but this is offset by how fast a drop riffle will clear the riffles.

You can run one with less water velocity and still process your material faster then a conventional sluice would, because the riffles don't back up the same. You know the old 14 second rule for conventional sluices? That doesn't apply for drop riffle sluices. 6 seconds is about average for most materials to clear on mine.

They are cheap and easy to make. You just need a board and some way to cut lines in it. Router, table saw, etc. Also, an aluminum one would be fairly easy to make as well, you could cut grooves in the aluminum and then bend some simple drop V riffles to fit under the spaces. A V groove that is at least 1/2 inch deep works remarkably well for catching gold I have found, though you can make it work even better by varying the depth of every 3rd or 4th groove, something like 1/8 inch, 1/4 inch, 3/8 inch, 3/4 inch, then back to 1/8 etc. This will ensure it catches all different sizes heavies and the grooves will stop bigger material from falling in. Kind of like a built in classifier.

Here's a video of my newest small drop riffle sluice, I intend to use this as a battery powered recirculating sluice since one area I will be working soon has very little water flow.

Here's that same small sluice out on the river, and my buddy using a similar drop riffle sluice based on my design.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:dontknow: say what?? I am NOT knocking the amount--just the method and ifn' ya backed off the extensive cleanups(simply more angle to your drop would fix it) you'd get MUCH more gold as in all mining the more ya move ---the more ya make--a simple equation. Soooooooooo not throwing a wet blanket just a simple aside---tons a au 2 u2 -John--PS. After 2 years of LL gettn' elbows rebuilt I'm now working on getting fit for a new knee so I can pass you on the trail hiking again and 2 years ago I lost 35+ pounds and WHAT a difference in mobility. Kudos once again to any guy over 55 who is still out there a diggn', hiking and mining :headbang:

OP
OP
63bkpkr

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hi,
Unfortunate experience - I just tried to post "a short story" about places I've gone to in this canyon I've played in since 1964 and when I attached the 12 pictures all the words went back to being ones and zeros, gone. For now I will say thanks to the latest responders hoserjohn, Astrobouncer & Maui Ron for their kind inputs and I've taken all inputs as being positive. I needed help and all of you sent in things to help so thank you. The drop riffle videos are Cooooool. Angles and water amounts and getting comfortable with the fact that the stuff in the riffles is liquified and the gold just drops in among the other stuff and stays there is what I needed to know. Here's the pictures without the words.
63bkpkr
180_8081_r1.jpg
181_8119.JPG
180_8091_r1.jpg
180_8094.JPG
180_8098.JPG
180_8048.JPG
180_8063_r1.jpg
180_8055.JPG
180_8054.JPG
180_8081_r1.jpg
180_8081_r1.jpg

Attachments

• 180_8061.JPG
    180_8061.JPG
    108.4 KB · Views: 1,454
  • 180_8078.JPG
    180_8078.JPG
    110.4 KB · Views: 1,450
OP
OP
63bkpkr

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

See, I told you I needed help. I messed up as I had some large format pictures mixed in with the small formats and it ate up the storage que and kinda messed up the picture post. I hope I've learned. 63

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
gold bug pro,garret,whites,tesoro,bounty-hunter,,.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

wow 63 ! those pics are breath taking !!!! prettiest country i have ever seen !!!!!!!! simply amazing , wouldn't it be great to live there -and have to go back to civilization again !!!!!!!!!

goldtimer

Greenie
Mar 30, 2010

Hi 63, very nice pictures and story :icon_thumright: Thanks for sharing.
One thing I have to say is that I agree with Hoser - the more of that wash that you get through your box, the more yella you're going to end up with.
Especially when you are getting such nice yellow chunky stuff. That sort of gold has got good weight to it, and If I were you I would have the sluice set up fastish and full (but not overflowing as in the pic, as this makes your sluice clog up due to decreased velocity) And just experiment with angles until you get the dirt just moving through the box and the riffles working good.
My rule of thumb is if you can always see the riffles, it's all good. If you can't see them, you'll be losing gold. Seeing as you're carting buckets of wash to your box, your box should have plenty of time to clear itself (unless there's lots of ironsand)
Sooo.. I would personally only clean up 3-6 times per day, depending how much dirt you got through. Unless you're getting a LOT of gold, in which case I'd slow it down a bit and be more careful.
It's a great spot you've got there, the gold really is just a bonus.
Good luck for next time :icon_sunny: :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread