MYSTERY BULLET FIELD SOLVED....Day 1 on the RIFLE RANGE....

D

dugupfinds

Found why my bullet field was full of the things. The field is behind the butts of a Rifle Range.

See map evidence of 1885. They were firing into a railway cutting & the bullets went over the track and onto my field. Still don't know when it started but still researching.

I left the bullet field for the time being & started on the rifle range. The landowners only have the field with the first 200 yards of the range. So I went hunting for the regiment buttons & capbadges, none yet but ....

More bullets. I'm now sure they are martini-henry type including the carbine & maybe the old muzzel loading Enfields?
The cases - large ones with "R A 42" on the bottom.
Some mystery items on the What is it page.
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,59420.msg423252.html#msg423252

Its going to chuck it down with rain tomorrow, so will have to wait until next week to find out who used the range.

Attachments

• map.jpg
    map.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 408
  • bullets.JPG
    bullets.JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 399
  • cases.JPG
    cases.JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 395
Upvote 0

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The cases that are so corroded are rimmed cases while the last two are rimless of contemporary design. If they say 42 on them they are probably 30.06 cases from the WWII era, 1942. The older cases I'd almost have to examine in person to determine as they could be .45/70s or maybe some other rimmed cartridge. Anybody else help? Monty

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,heres a bit of info about martini's in UK between 1870-1900.the british army first introduced the martini-enfield or martini-metfords in June 1871.This when came to the developement of Mark 1, Mark 2, Mark 3, there where also sub-variations called Patterns.In 1877 the Carbine Version M-H was also introduced.Short-chamber Box-martini {45 cal.} The british army did alot of experimental changes also and these rifles were tested at different sites beween 1871-1888.The british relized that they had a problem with supply of ammo for the .402 cal, so the rifle was changed to .450 cal.

In 1888 the British changed to Lee-Metford and when to a 303 cal later on.The british kept these early rifles for training and the home-guard.

if anyone want any other info just google Henry-Martini or Lee-Enfield.

tinpan

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice research! You never know what you will dig up in the UK. HH, Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread