Curious The George

Sep 4, 2008
East Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Metrotech
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went off to Grandma's house in Southwest Georgia for Thanksgiving. Went out on Wednesday to see what could be seen.

I knew of the site of an school that had been named for Franklin Roosevelt. Long torn down and the site used as a community area. At first glance I thought the place was hopeless. All of the big old oak trees indicated that the ground level now is about 10-12" lower than it was in times past. But I did manage to find an area near the road that hadn't been scraped as deeply. In the photo of the site it is the area just to the left of the big oak tree on the right side of the photo.

Detecting in that area brought up a 1950 Roosevelt Dime, a 1944 Mercury and three Wheat Pennies, 1944 two times and a 1953D. That was about it, I wandered the place over and here and there found Memorial Cents.

When I was starting to think I was ready to roll up and roll off I made a pass at the area that would have been behind the main school building and along the woods line that is currently there. Got a dime signal and dug up the mystery coin. Couldn't make out anything on it. One side was completely smoothed off but I did see something on the face of it. When I got back to Grandma's I washed it with some water and a little dish soap but still couldn't make out anything but a star or two on one edge. Then Grandma pointed out that she thought she could see a profile of a face in the same vicinity. I left it go at that, didn't have a Red Book with me anyway.

Well, got home last night did some more careful cleaning of the crud and the face and head jumped out and more stars. It measures about 18mm across and digging in the Red Book I came up with a Capped Bust Dime. They were made from 1809 to 1837. If I hold this coin at just the right angle and squint through a glass at it I am fairly certain that I am seeing 182-.

I have no idea what a coin that early was doing on a school site that must date back to the late 1930's or so. May have been an old home site at the crossroads or a much older school torn down when the newer one was built.

At any rate this coin made it worth the 9 hr. each way drive, not to mention Grandma's cooking. There is nothing better than Collards and Turnip Greens with vinegar/pepper sauce on them.

Attachments

• CIMG1290.jpg
    CIMG1290.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 489
  • CIMG1293.jpg
    CIMG1293.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 487
  • CIMG1297.jpg
    CIMG1297.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 487
  • CIMG1300.jpg
    CIMG1300.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 484
Upvote 0

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG, I don't recall anyone with a silver dime hat trick that included a bust! Congratulations, that is a fantastic hunt. You don't see capped bust dimes found every day.

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800 & Makro Multi Kruzer, the rest are collecting dust...
Congrats on the Capped Bust Dime :hello2:

Don't see those out here hardly ever.

Dec 27, 2005
Bay Area Ca.
Detector(s) used
White's M6, SPECTRA V3I.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
congrats on the find and also on grandma's great cooking, been to long since I have had some good down home Ga. cooking. thanks for sharing and hh

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread