AP552

Apr 9, 2015
Southeastern Mass
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT pro
AT max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found this tonight in an old farm field, rang up as a 77 on my AT Pro and was down about 8 inches. I've found some crusty coppers before but they were always large cent sized. I can't see any detail, debating on a peroxide bath for it. Definitely copper, looks to me like it's half cent sized but I have never found one before so I can't really compare it to any other past finds. Anyways here it is, thanks for looking. HH image.jpeg image.jpeg

Upvote 5

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Might be able to tell something if you measure it and weigh it. Neat to know it's something old!

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Oy! That one may remain a mystery. People may slay me for saying so but I've taken coins that look exactly like yours and used light sand paper. It went from a blank to something I could ID.

Good luck

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Oy! That one may remain a mystery. People may slay me for saying so but I've taken coins that look exactly like yours and used light sand paper. It went from a blank to something I could ID.

Good luck

Lol. You know, I have done the same. A few of them actually came out pretty decent. The best was this 1674 farthing. You can see the scratch marks esp on the reverse. But hey, this is quite a presentable item now. I did this one some 20 years ago.

Attachments

• DSCN1270.JPG
    DSCN1270.JPG
    1,013.7 KB · Views: 188
  • DSCN1272.JPG
    DSCN1272.JPG
    918.8 KB · Views: 173

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Good luck

I have too, when you got nothing, you got nothing to loose.
A coin with virtually no relief left i did 400-600 grit on a flat surface, and rubbed the coin on that, gained a couple of faint letters just enough for a pos. ID. Mostly though not really worth the effort, except the satisfaction of knowing.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I have too, when you got nothing, you got nothing to loose.
A coin with virtually no relief left i did 400-600 grit on a flat surface, and rubbed the coin on that, gained a couple of faint letters just enough for a pos. ID. Mostly though not really worth the effort, except the satisfaction of knowing.

Lol. You know, I have done the same. A few of them actually came out pretty decent. The best was this 1674 farthing. You can see the scratch marks esp on the reverse. But hey, this is quite a presentable item now. I did this one some 20 years ago.

Haha! Awesome to hear! I've actually pulled dates after sanding. One was a draped bust half cent! The others mostly common British coppers and the sanding just gave me a good outline.

celtic fox

Nov 8, 2015
surrey uk
Detector(s) used
ctx3030 , deus lite , garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
its hard to id them when there toasted i find best chance is leave it soak for a day or 2 in olive oil and then toothbrush it and you might get enough for id :tongue3:

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looks like ca 1723 Hibernia to me. :occasion14:

Attachments

• 1723farth.jpeg
    1723farth.jpeg
    12 KB · Views: 279
Last edited:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like 1723 Hibernia to me (if it is one, thats prob the most likely date). :occasion14:

I would have posted the same thing just before you, but went to grab a pic.

Attachments

• 1723-woods-hibernia-halfpenny-type-ii-regular-issue.jpg
    1723-woods-hibernia-halfpenny-type-ii-regular-issue.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 147

jwarner51

Aug 11, 2014
United states of America
Detector(s) used
Minelab Exterra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I don't think that looks too bad considering what it took.

Cletus

Nov 24, 2015
Winchester Virginia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus / Garrett AT Pro / Garrett AT Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i dug a LC last week out of a drained mill race that was toast. i dipped in mineral oil once or twice a day for
3 or 4 days. i wiped it down every time before dipping it. now i can see everything but the date.
the mineral oil got into the years of crud and popped it loose.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice coin recovery and restoration!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread