Mystery hallmark on sterling cufflinks

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This might prove to be a challenge due to there being no photograph to assist with the identification.

I was just a a local cash for gold place and spotted a pair of heavy sterling cufflinks. They were clearly marked on the back plate and underneath the front plate. The owner wasn't okay with pictures so I'll describe it as best I can.

The hallmark was a pair of capital "S" letters, facing each other in front of a basic shield outline. Also included was a 925 and copyright mark.

The front was a scene of a person on a horse.

If anybody has some idea of what they might be, I'd love to hear your suggestions. I've yet to find anything but silver hallmarks are not my area of expertise. All I can say is they were somewhat contemporary

SDIceMan

Nov 12, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would be inclined to say that the double S marking was just another way of indicating they were sterling silver. I have come across several jewelry items marked SS for sterling silver, although admittedly none with the stylized double S inside a shield like you describe. I could be completely wrong, but I would hate for you to waste a lot of time researching makers marks if it ends up just being a fancy stamp indicating the precious metal content. Good luck!

OP
OP
B

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would be inclined to say that the double S marking was just another way of indicating they were sterling silver. I have come across several jewelry items marked SS for sterling silver, although admittedly none with the stylized double S inside a shield like you describe. I could be completely wrong, but I would hate for you to waste a lot of time researching makers marks if it ends up just being a fancy stamp indicating the precious metal content. Good luck!

It's got to be the makers mark. It was stamped on the back and filled with black enamel and then again behind the front plate with 925 below it. SS seems redundant with 925 right below so it has to be the company

BagLady

Bronze Member
Mar 13, 2015
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
cheap
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look up Silver Smiths. I bet it's made in the USA.

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could possibly find the same ones online via images and see if you could find who the maker is. Sometimes you can never find the maker's marks to ID.

BagLady

Bronze Member
Mar 13, 2015
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
cheap
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I want that route and didn't see one that matched. I've been trying to find them but had no luck.
I just spent about 30 minutes looking...did not find your makers mark. Sorry. Good Luck.

OP
OP
B

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, They looked just like the ones you typed above except the second "S" was backwards. They were stamped with a shield outline that narrowly enclosed them.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Since you are the only one that knows exactly what it looks like,

Dig through THIS SITE it will keep you busy for quite a while.

This is the link for the American pictorial hallmarks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread