White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry Brad. in reading this post made the hairs stand up on my neck, not because I've experienced anything quite that intense, other than one time hearing something making the strangest sounds we had ever heard out in the cornfield behind the house which had our dog growling, and then lucky wanted back in the house, bad..we followed.

Now I know it is just a book, but the way you describe mike being shaken like something grabbed him.. but find and read a book called Watchers, by dean Koontz..one of my favorites, and in reading your post so much reminded me of the book, I think you should read it.

Mike

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Limitool, I just came upon this thread yesterday. Just finished reading it, (entirely). That's kinda spooky! I'm sure glad Mike's ok. So sorry for the loss of the female. It's hard to have to put one down. Especially if you've raised them from a pup. I raised a chi/pug pup from the time he was 2 months old until I had to put him down when he was 8 years old. Yes, I cried. But his kidneys were failing so badly that he had lost almost half of his weight and was really miserable. I might should have done it earlier, but couldn't bring myself to do it.

Keep us all posted about what's going on. Umm, you wanted me and Viking and several others to come stay a week and camp out in those woods? Were you thinking of using us for bait?? Huh? lol

Mike, yes, that's a 'spooky' read! I read it several years ago. Hmm, I believe we still have a copy; might go read it again. Well, probably not. I always want to read more, but don't seem to get around to it. I have about 15 or more books that I've bought during the last 3 or 4 years that are still waiting to be read. lol

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well 777... If we all go camping I hear there's "safety in numbers". And, I'm putting my hammock at about 20 ft. up.

The female dog (Shar) got her whupp'in at night also. I didn't hear it at all. Just found her the next morning tore up. And what's more she was the MOST AGGRESSIVE critter getter here. And Viking I am locked and loaded.... just can't find a target. I really don't know what's doing this. Bears are far East of us, boars aren't here yet... but close and a cougars range is HUGE. Folks say "There aren't any here". That's not true. I saw one a few years ago myself. But I don't believe a cat is involved because my dogs would be dead not injured though some have never come back. I lost 3 in one week long ago and never saw them again.

If I had to bet I'd bet on a LARGE male coyote or a pair of them. Maybe even a large male bobcat picking off a dog. One whupped 2 Rottweiler's I had. Killed one and tore the other UP.

TheCoinKid

Apr 16, 2013
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
Brad,

Since it was her back leg that was so badly damaged, wouldn't that suggest that there was more than one perp involved? Just seems like she would have been able to keep a single attacker in front of her.

In any event, sorry for your loss.

AU Seeker

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
E-Track, MXT, CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just found this topic as well, sorry for your lost of Shar, I'm glad that Mike didn't suffer the same fate and is doing well.

Good luck on your hunt for the culprits, wishing you good speed and a true aim as well, this needs to be stopped ASAP.

I know what it feels like to have to put your best friend down, we had to do so with our black about 3 months ago, but she had a full life at 13 years old, but she couldn't walk anymore unless we supported most of her weight with a towel sling we fashioned, she weighted 90 lbs so that was a chore and she didn't like it too much, we cried like a babies, hard to lose a family member, like one of our kids she was.

Last edited:

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Oh man Brad I'm sorry for your loss. It seems like in some areas that are being built up a rounded woods that the wild creatures are being driven out and getting closer to having access to .our families and pets,scary stuff.

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Limitool, in an earlier post you mentioned seeing 4 dogs in a field while you and your wife were not far from the house. Did anything come of that sighting? Just wondering. I remember it was decided that feral dogs tore Mike up last year.

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Brad,

Since it was her back leg that was so badly damaged, wouldn't that suggest that there was more than one perp involved? Just seems like she would have been able to keep a single attacker in front of her.

In any event, sorry for your loss.

Yes... this makes sense to me also. I have to agree there was probably more than one. Or... the one was something very powerful and larger than her...?

777... We'll never know for sure what tore Mike up so bad. I did see the feral dogs out in the field. But I don't know for sure if they were feral. I'll have to bait and set up some cameras. I'll probably get lots of pics of my dogs also.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Dogs as with all canines will be scent marking scent post type spots. The girls too at times. A posting board of business cards so to speak. Once established, perhaps by placing at bait set time a furnished piece of stump or rock with some fox or dog pee on it already, it would be another good camera site. A bait site will get claimed ,even defended, so out of your dogs range would be preferred? Course they can have a long range.....

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dogs as with all canines will be scent marking scent post type spots. The girls too at times. A posting board of business cards so to speak. Once established, perhaps by placing at bait set time a furnished piece of stump or rock with some fox or dog pee on it already, it would be another good camera site. A bait site will get claimed ,even defended, so out of your dogs range would be preferred? Course they can have a long range.....

Yea when I get the cameras I can fire up the ATV and get a 1/2 mile away easily which will drastically reduce my dogs bothering the bait. Good idea taking a dog urine soaked stick or something back also. Will do.... :occasion14:

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We got a "critter" YELLING and HOWERLING" out back on the nearest ridge east of us that sounds nothing like any coyote I've ever heard... My dogs (6) will NOT leave the deck nor will they respond to this sound. My wife even went out and said "What the hell is all that screaming about over there"....? I don't know what the sound is either. But I've had enough dogs mauled, missing and scared that I'd really like to know. When my other property sells I'm setting up some trail cams, bait and whatever I have to do to capture an image of the critter(s).

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
Told you its the outsider, just because its from a book does not mean it can't be real. Just like that movie 2012, a good portion of the events in that movie having to do with Yellowstone have actually happened since the movie and around the world.
Or maybe its a rabid mountain lion, dunno can you try and record the sounds on a phone or camera ? I'd really like to hear these sounds...quite frankly I'm surprised nobody has said Sasquatch. JG might.

Mike

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Told you its the outsider, just because its from a book does not mean it can't be real. Just like that movie 2012, a good portion of the events in that movie having to do with Yellowstone have actually happened since the movie and around the world.
Or maybe its a rabid mountain lion, dunno can you try and record the sounds on a phone or camera ? I'd really like to hear these sounds...quite frankly I'm surprised nobody has said Sasquatch. JG might.

Mike

Mike... I don't know if my phone would pick up the sound or not...? And that's all I have right now. But I'm thinking now. If anybody would have heard it (outside of an expert?) you have thought WHAT THE HELL IS THAT!!!!! My dogs have chased coyotes for YEARS but they won't leave the deck and "attack" hearing this yell. NOR... will they respond by barking, yelling or howling as they usually do with the local coyotes. Hell I admit... I don't know either. Ok, time for shower, supper and another day building toy boxes tomorrow.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike... I don't know if my phone would pick up the sound or not...? And that's all I have right now. But I'm thinking now. If anybody would have heard it (outside of an expert?) you have thought WHAT THE HELL IS THAT!!!!! My dogs have chased coyotes for YEARS but they won't leave the deck and "attack" hearing this yell. NOR... will they respond by barking, yelling or howling as they usually do with the local coyotes. Hell I admit... I don't know either. Ok, time for shower, supper and another day building toy boxes tomorrow.

We had a fox "screaming" around here for a while. It was a really strange sound. I've camped and played in the woods all my life, and never heard anything like it before. This is someones youtube recording of the same sound.

Never mind! I didn't read the whole thing before I posted. It's probably not a fox. lol

Last edited:

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That^^ sent chills up my spine, and nothing scares me!..well except for RedHeads.

Mike

The recording doesn't do it justice. When your standing outside and that thing screams and echos, it's creepy.

After I read more of the thread I figured out it couldn't be a fox. lol

wainzoid

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2007
morrisons cove = smell our dairy air
The other eve, my boys dog was throwing a fit up behind the barn. I sent him up to see what was going on. Not thinking, when he opened the door our other dog went out. It no sooner got around the back of the barn and we heard some hellish squeals and screams. The boy ran around there with the portable spotlight, only to find the dogs had opposite ends of a domestic cat, trying to go in opposite directions. So much for the cat. It was all over in an instant.

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nitric, that sound is like nothing I've ever heard, even in sci/fi movies! I wonder if anyone will be able to determine just what it is for certain. I've heard a few strange sounds when fishing in some of the creeks around central Texas, but nothing like this. Really strange.

57chevy

Oct 4, 2014
The West
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000 D Looking to find enough to replace it.
Replaced it with a Garrett 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's really a bizzare sound. It might be a cougar. I have heard cougars scream that sound almost human. And bears can make some pretty weird sounds, although I don't think that recording was a bear. As to the dogs not wanting to leave the porch, that is just weird. I have seen two dogs take after a bear and even a wild pig. Not sure what could have scared them so.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread