N00B to the hobby

b1pw3ha

May 17, 2005
Pittsburgh-Pa
I just wanted to share with you all my story. My daughter had a birthday March17th. She turned 7 that day. Anyhow I asked her what she want for her birthday. Her answer was a treasure finder. I had no ideal at the time she meant a metal detector and after acouple of days looking online at toy stores for a "treasure finder" I was about to give up. :P

So I asked her to explain to me what a treasure finder was. Once she explained to me what she wanted I said OH :o a metal detector then I went online and showed her a picture of one and she said YES thats it daddy. Where she got the ideal for a detector I have no ideal but I bought her a Bounty Hunter pioneer 202.
Since March I have been reading this site and many others trying to collect as much info on the hobby as I could before I took her out with it. After I practiced with it for acouple of weeks I started showing her how to use it. Well yesterday was the first time we went out together with it. I took her to her schools playground. We had about 1 1/2 hours to detect before I had to take her back to her mom's house.

Well to make a long story short we had a blast. We couldn't take a step before we got a solid hit. She dug her first hit a found a quarter.After acouple more clads it became to heavy for her so I started sweeping and she dug them up. That worked out better anyways because she had an eagle eye. I was digging them and not seeing them but she would yell DAD I saw something and sure enough it was clad. In total she found $3.38 and her best find was a 1916 dime. I looks mint too. It started to rain while we were detecting and I had to drag her away. On our way home I asked her if she was going to tell her friends what she found while at school today and she just looked at me and said NO WAY DAD! then they will come here and take all the treasure. LOL. I thought you all would get a kick out of my story and I just wanted to share it with you all.

Upvote 0

Getty

Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thank you for sharing ,thats a great story.

HH ,jimmy

M

mattjd

Thanks for sharing the story. That's unbelivable! A 1916 dime with a BH. Impressive. That dime doesn't happen to have a mint mark on it, does it? Cause if it's a 1916 D then your talking big money.

Matt

omnicognic

Bronze Member
Jan 22, 2005
Tampa, Florida
That's a great story! Where did she get the idea? Did she see someone using one at a park or on tv?
I look forward to further posts and welcome you and your daughter to the forum! HH omnicognic ?8)

D

deacon

Great story! Keep the location a secret, sounds like agreat place to keep her interested.
My daughter is now a teenager and we still get out on occassion. Fun times for sure.

surfrat96

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2005
Hollywood, Florida
Detector(s) used
AquaSound
Wonderful story. What a great way to spend time together. Sounds like she's gonna be a real pro! Now you'll have to get yourself one and hunt with her! Welcome to the Forum!

HH 8) surfrat

OP
OP
b1pw3ha

b1pw3ha

May 17, 2005
Pittsburgh-Pa
You know I don't recall if I ever asked her where is got the ideal of a metal detector. I know she watchs alot of cartoons. Maybe on a cartoon? I know last summer I took her to a place called Laural Caverns. While we were there we noticed that they had a setup where you could buy bags of dirt that had fake gems and fools gold in it. After she found her first nugget she had gold fever and I mean bad. I bought her 4 bags of dirt to pan that day.
I didn't have the heart to tell her it wasn't ?real gold so I just let her believe it was real. She searched that dirt so hard that there wasn't a speck of anything left in it. Some pieces so small she had a hard time picking them out.

Anyways the dime is a barber I believe. No mint mark on it at all. And someone mentioned I should buy a detector.

Funny you mentioned that. I am at work right now and I have been looking at detectors all night. I am thinking about the Garrett 250 for myself. Looks like we will be doing alot of detecting this summer. She has it all planed out already. She wants to take it with her when we go on vaction. She wants to go to the beaches on lake erie. LOL the list goes on and on. I am very pleased that we found something that her and I can do together that she seems to truely love.

I am currently doing some research on a stockade that was built in the 1760's about 2 miles from my house. The exact location of it was lost by the 1880's. I know the field where it used to set but it's a big field with no remains at all except a plaque thats states fort crawford once stood close to this site. What is truely nice about my area is in my 34 years of living here I have never seen anyone metal detect anywhere around here. So it's all virgin as far as I know.
Thank you all for all the encouragement.

surfrat96

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2005
Hollywood, Florida
Detector(s) used
AquaSound
The Ace 250 sounds like a great machine. We have A LOT of members here that use them! If you have any questions about the machine, post it, and I'm sure you'll get plenty of answers.

HH 8) surfrat

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread