Nails, nails, and more nails

warriordigger

May 6, 2010
Utah
Detector(s) used
ACE250
I have been searching an older home with my ACE 250 and am digging a ton of nails. Is there a way to avoid those? I have eliminated the far left notch, but I am getting a signal that bounces between pennies and iron. I know this is an indicator of junk but not always the case. I get a little nervours leaving something burried so I dig it, then go crazy with another nail. Will eliminating another notch help? or, will that cause me to skip something valuable? or, do I just keep digging? Thanks for the help!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First, welcome to the Tnet group. :coffee2:

You can try the other notch and then back it off to see if it registers, dig it to check if it is a nail. You could skip some nails but also lose something good. It is the location that was the nails, so you either have to dig them and recheck the hole or get a Sov. GT with Iron Mask. They null on iron but still report on coins close by while the Ace will mask out the coins. :coffee2:

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yep, turn the sensitivity down a bit especially if it starts to sound like a pinball machine. I hunt old homesites too (in jewelry mode) and have found the ace freaks out around iron. It likes to false a lot around iron. Usually a signal that bounces high and low ends up being a nail. I think the shape has something to do with it. I notice roundish iron objects will bounce the signal high and low. What I do in iron infested areas is keep my swings of the coil very short maybe like 6 or 8 inches and listen for any signal above iron. If I get just one signal above iron I will investigate and try to get a consistent signal within 2 or 3 swings. I will also walk around the object as I swing the coil to try and get a consistent signal. But, to keep my sanity I tend to avoid the real heavy iron areas and will search outside of them. I have learned the ace has it's limits in discriminating iron which has me eyeing a better machine that will discriminate better. Of the three cellar holes I've hunted each one has given me a coin from the 1800's. So, I figure the ace can pull out at least one good coin from an old homesite. Some nice relics too.

-Swartzie

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread