OP
B

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
No- As it has am iron arrowhead imbedded in it, My best guess is that it is from a Buffalo.

George

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WoW!.....that is way neat!!!!! Where did you find that??

Nana ;)

omnicognic

Bronze Member
Jan 22, 2005
Tampa, Florida
Difficult to determine the scale of the pic. I thought perhaps the iron object was a detachable harpoon point. (after impact the point remains in attached to a cable, but the shaft falls away) Anyway, what are the dimensions of the vertabrae?

OP
OP
B

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
The vertabrae is about a foot long and at maximun 4" thick. A museum was liquidating it's native American artifacts in an auction and I bought this. Predominantly western points in frames. It was in a box with other artifacts but not labeled. Another small example from the box is shown below. The length of the vertabrae would have only been 5" so a young animal. Has the same shape as the adult one.
George

Attachments

• DSCN0037.JPG
    DSCN0037.JPG
    24.3 KB · Views: 279

leadsman

Greenie
Jun 18, 2005
Temple Terrace, Florida
I think omnicognic meant the wright whale. They were considered the "Right whale for hunting because they would float after death.
"They'd harpoon a whale. And they had to get their sail down and everything stowed away and their oars in and go on a wild ride and all of that would have to be done in less than a minute and a half. Then of course they had to row back dragging a whale. And these things are called the Wright Whale because when they harpooned him he floated and therefore they could drag him back."

Gold Digger

Jul 21, 2003
The United States of Texas
Looks like a whale vertebrae to me. The shinook(?) indians used hand thrown harpoons before the technology was available to use air or powder charged harpoons. But I thought the arrowheads (harpoon heads?) were larger than that and were shaped differently...??

futzman

May 29, 2005
Tulsa, OK
Don't know what animal the vertebra is from but the point looks like a Benton metal arrowhead. These are circa 1740-1840. That's a great speciman and what a great conversation piece!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread