Attachments

• DSCN0019.JPG
    DSCN0019.JPG
    28.8 KB · Views: 444
R

retro-redux

George,
That is great! WOW :o :o :o

How did you find it-was it out in the open or did you have to dig for it?
Laura

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Isn't that something!!!!!

WOW!

Great fossil!!

Nana ;)

OP
OP
B

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
I obtained it from a quarry(dig for fee) about 25 years ago. I was afraid of destroying it so I had someone prepare it for me. No they were not in the open- you had to crack a lot of rock. You looked for bumps in the side of the rock and then split the shale. I just had a very lucky day. It is a better specimen than they have in the Denver museum.

George

R

retro-redux

George,
You just answered a question that had been bugging me-how to know which rocks to split.
Thanks man ;D ;D ;D,
Laura

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Kinda looks like something I had for supper the other night. ;D

OP
OP
B

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
Well I used to have a frame for it and I hung it on the wall. However, some cracks appeared and I took it down. I plan and using some spray lacquer or glue? on it but haven't decided which yet. For this type of fossil the shale is so thin that you can readily split it with a chisel.

George

futzman

May 29, 2005
Tulsa, OK
I've been using Vinac with good success preserving fragile shale and thin fossils.? You can make it yourself by buying some PVA (Polyvinyl Acetate) from this place:

http://www.bhigr.com/store/product.php?productid=262&cat=12&bestseller

I comes in bead form then you have to dissolve it in Acetone (very flammable!) you can get at the paint or hardware store.? I use their recommended dilution of 2 oz/gal.? If you dissolve 1/4 cup of beads in 16 oz of acetone that works out to about 2 oz/gal.? The beads dissolve pretty slowly so just let it set overnight and stir it some (with a steel spoon).

The pros use this stuff for stabilizing fossil dinosaur bones so it must be pretty good!

Btw, that's one AWESOME fossil!

Richard

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread