Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Of all the detectors you've owned, which one was (is) your favorite?

Don't forget to tell why...

My favorite was the Tejon but now has shifted to the Minelab Sovereign GT. As you can tell I'm not loyal to any one brand. ;)

The Sovereign is the deepest and most stable detector I've tried to date (since 1968).

I've finally stopped digging nails! Thank you Minelab!

Badger

Upvote 0

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So far I have had three whites,two garrets, two fishers a couple of off brands and now I have two tesoros . My favorite has been the Vaquero due to the lite weight and good performance . My deepest has been the CZ5 but it loved deeep iron. Still want to try other brands and detectors but for now it is tesoro all the way. Been reading up on the F75 and the EX2 but it will be a while. They are a bit of my budget for now. I have read about the F75 having a lot of electrical problems just like the ID Excel did when it was new. Hope they work the bugs out.I bought an Id Excel and it worked for about 6 hours and then the coil went out. I got it repaired and then traded it.

doozis

Jul 31, 2007
Virginia
My first detector in 1982 was a Bounty Hunter and its the one that
got me hooked on metal detecting. I didn't have Tnet or a computer
to fall back on for info/tips so I had to teach myself the hardway.
There was a lot of frustration but after many hours I got to know it
pretty good and had some good finds with it. My latest is the Ace 250
and I really love it , but it was my Bounty Hunter that gives me the most cool memories so I guess it'll always be my favorite :)

Doozis

re-tek

Jul 15, 2007
miami fl
Detector(s) used
coinstrike, tigershark, ace250, OLD radioshack
of my three, my favorite is the tigershark for ease of use. my only gripe is those dang goofy looking headphones... i've been degraded to mickey mouse status!

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
of the two i own now and use now i cant really favor one over the other, either one will excel in the right situation. the GTI 2500 is great for hunting in trash, is pretty good at rejecting electrical interference and the size feature makes it deadly for finding jewelry. the Explorer SE on the other hand is super deep, handles difficult soil better and has better coverage with its DD coil. the GTI pinpoints better but the SE is more stable in salt conditions. which one i choose on a given day really depends on where i am hunting. i will say that most days i grab the SE though. ;)

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
The T-2 for its fast reset speed, good discriminatorand light weight, I work the old logging camps, mine camps, and charcoal kiln areas. used msotly whites in the past and enjoyed the QXT's

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the two I currently own:

A modded Minelab SD2000, and a Minelab Excalibur.

Still waiting on the Pulse Devil, though.

Best-Mike

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have come to really dislike target ID. I am always looking at what is coming out next, but so far the Tejon is the one for me.

IronClad

Aug 29, 2007
N. Central Ohio
Detector(s) used
Silver Eagle, White's Eagle I, White's Eagle II SL, 6000/Di Series 3, Silver Sabre II
My White's 6000D Series 2 was always my best detector. No longer have it, but I recently bought a 6000Di S3 and I'm using it. I also have a Tejon which is really, REALLY hard to put down. If it had depth reading, it would be Heaven.
With these two, I think I can cover all the bases. If I really had to choose right now, I'd lean towards the 6000 Di.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is really hard for me as I like both the Excal and Tiger Shark. I hardly hunt land anymore so my choices are water detectors.

Attachments

• Excalibur 1000 (WinCE).jpg
    Excalibur 1000 (WinCE).jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 773

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
I bought a new Whites Coinmaster 2D in '76 for $169. It has always been my favorite and was a special machine from the start. It had a mind of its own! In fact, we compared it to other 2D's at the time and they didn't stack up. I dug many thousands of coins and lots of jewelry with it. It wouldn't give a signal on nails if its life depended on it. It had great depth even on the wet salt sand. It was the machine I was using when I found 7 rings(6 gold and 1 silver) in 2 hrs.

It was a superb competition unit! I always found enough to cover my entry fees and even won two detectors with it. I sold it to a friend and it continued to be a killer unit for him. It had such a mystical quality that at one time he sold it for $250 to another guy who knew how good it was. That guy ended up selling it back to my friend and he still owns it to this day. He tells me that he has left it to me in his will. ???????

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LISA 'cause she calls me decafe 8)

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Michigan Badger said:
Of all the detectors you've owned, which one was (is) your favorite?

Don't forget to tell why...

My favorite was the Tejon but now has shifted to the Minelab Sovereign. As you can tell I'm not loyal to any one brand. ;)

The Sovereign is the deepest and most stable detector I've tried to date (since 1968).

Badger
side note you flip flop more then my kids do boyfriends ;) 8) (flavor of the month)

Gilligan

Bronze Member
Sep 23, 2007
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, Deteknix Scuba Tector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I first started detecting as a teenager in 1977 or so, I started with a White's Coinmaster IV. I found alot of good stuff in the Millard, NE area. I dug most everything, so I came up with some good finds. Now I use an old White's Spectrum that I bought back in 1991 or so. I know I need to upgrade and have considered a DFX. I have also read some good things about the Minelab Soveriegn. I am more comfortable with White's, but I am not sure what to upgrade to. l live in Wilson, NC area and love to find coins. I have found considerable amount of CW stuff in the Goldsboro, NC area when I lived there. Any advice concerning what detector would be a good upgrade for me from the old White's Spectrum would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a million, my home email is [email protected] --if there is anyone in the Wilson, NC area who is interested in metal detecting, please email me. Thanks, BP

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Michigan Badger said:

Badger

;D You still better keep that Tejon. Sometimes you need to clear out the iron at sites to get the good stuff. ;)

Bob

Blackjack77

Jun 16, 2006
Minnesota
Started with a low end BH, then advanced to a 3300. Had many good finds with the the 3300-- found My
Avatar Morgan with it. So good memories but My Garrett 2500 is of course My favorite. Can't
beat the imaging and the depth with all-metal is superb!! Would like to try a DFX or Minelab Explorer. For now, pleased with what I have!!!

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
My favorite detector out of my "arsenal" would have to be my Compadre. It was my first detector. I still use it as my primary land machine. It is light, has discrimination, and is very easy to use. My only problem with it is that I don't get to use it as much as I would like too.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My favorite detector is the JETCO, not because I've ever owned one, or would ever want to. Just because if I ever see one in a competition hunt I will root for the underdog!

Seriously though, my fav is the Fisher 1266-X. I've used Compass detectors, a Whites XLT, and an Ace 250. Fisher has my bid, but their customer service sucks and BH bought them out. Two BIG minus marks. So if my trusty Fisher ever konks out, I feel a brand change coming on...

Cheers,

Buckleboy

EasyMoney

Sep 15, 2007
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primarily my Fisher cz-70 and Compass Relic & Coin, plus many others
My favorite detector of all time is a little one that was;

Made in Japan,
Weighs in at a comfy 1.1 pounds,
Looks a lot like an "L" with a tall top,
Has a red plastic handle,
Runs at around 100 Kz,
Sports an aluminum rod,
And gets coins at 4"-6" in most playgrounds.

It also makes a superior nail finder in walls, and has a very fast return to threshold. I paid 50 cents for it.

It's a honey.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions