NANTAHALA RIVER

Bobbert

Greenie
Sep 1, 2004
NW Georgia
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Hi everone, I just got off the phone with the Department of Forestry here in North Carolina. I was going to the Nantahala River area parks today and do some MDing. I thought I would call first and make sure I was not doing anything wrong. Well to my surprise they told me I could use my Metal Detector to hunt but I COULD NOT DIG ANY HOLES AT ALL. Wow is it like this all over NC. Well I guess I need to find somewhere else to hunt. Well thanks for looking and any suggestions would be welcomed.

Good luck to all, Bob

Upvote 0

Tinman

Jul 5, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, 9" Coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Bob,

That is some beautiful country you live there my friend! I miss the Carolinas, blue ridge and the significant History all around. I bet if you talk to some locals you can find some private land to work with ...and it just might yield better results than National or State Forests anyway. How about over there by Fontana dam/lake?

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I myself would have just went and hunted as long as it was not posted.

johny mc.

May 18, 2005
Bobbert- you might have asked if using a tool on the surface was okay.....here in Pa in certain areas you can use a screwdriver type device to scratch the surface.....now I say an inch or two defines the surface...there we go....aloha johny mc....

in some places though you cannot take anything of historical significance out....no but its okay to rot in the ground..right

and put all nice finds in your pocket.....all trash goes in the treasure pouch .....then when the ranger comes up you show him all the surface metal you so unselfishly pulled out of his pristine area... just scratching the surface sir and nothing of historical significance found...

make sure they have a warrant if they want to check in your pockets.. unless that ranger is a real lady who looks like Jessica Biel...................hey it could happen.

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
IDX Classic SL-x2....Excalibur1000
was given the same conditions to hunt by once.
Returned with a small brass rod and a 12" pair of foreceps.I would probe for the target with the rod and retrieve with the foreceps.It worked....but not real well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread