Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Since nobody else has replied here....

there was a similar thread about a month ago. Some people said that it was definately okay to hunt national parks, some people said that it was definately not okay to hunt national parks, both sides provided evidence, and I don't think anything was ever resolved.

My advice would be to call the National Parks Service or at the very least someone at the park you're going to that actually has the authority be able to give/deny permission and ask them.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
National Park regulations do vary, go the department of the interior, they mangae those things. Send queries on the specific sites you want to hunt in and see what happens.

renegade_7

Jun 10, 2004
Missouri
In Mo., its a NO, or was a year ago when I inquired. Of course I believe I spoke with the conservation department. I intend to e-mail them in the next week or so, to see if I get a different answer. If yes, I'll be sure to get a name.

OP
OP
G

gsmeiers

Nov 25, 2004
Appleton, WI
I also need to find out the same about Wisconsin State owned Forestry... A friend of mine said you could detect on that as well... Just trying to find the low-down on the law so I can plan some good trip this summer.

Garrett

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Wisconsin does require a permit and they are fairly restrictive in their forests. Check with DNR there on the specific area you are interested in and as always point out that you are more interested in removing trash than treasure!

Paul T.

Tenderfoot
Jan 17, 2005
Hello. I'm Paul Thurman. I use to work for the FMDAC (Federation of Metal Detectors & Archeological Clubs). I was the Central States pres., and did alot of work with metal detecting laws.

I have been out of it for at least 5 years but here's what I remember. Many national forests contain archeological or indian lands. Rather than just eliminate detecting in them, however, many forests took to allowing detecting in designated areas only.

You must be careful when calling and asking around, because you'll get much incorrect info. Many times, those working at the parks are anti-detecting, especially if they are conservationists or arcehologists. I believe all forests have an archeologist or crew assigned to them. They'll quickly tell you that you cannot metal detect at all, but they may just be blowing smoke at you.

I worked very hard to get an area of a national forest opened back up to detecting in Minnesota. We were successful. This helped to fuel a movement whereby the federal government and many state governments were forced to look at our hobby as a valid recreational activity not unlike others that enjoy our public lands. And so detecting was kept alive at a time when Whites and other big whigs were predicting that the hobby would be completely outlawed within five years. So we did some good.

I've been too busy raising my now teenage daughter and havn't been involved in the good fight for years, and barely even get to go out detecting. But I hope to get back into it very soon!

Sorry I wasn't more help. My main suggestion is just don't ever take a casual no for an answer. If someone tells you no, ask them to point out the exact law that outlaws it. Often, however, they'll cite some great sounding law, but when push comes to shove, doesn't really regulate detecting in the way they want you to believe. I was able to force several cities to open detecting back up to hobbyists, when they could not find anything in their laws that specifically outlawed it. When they were faced with a large national organization coming down on them for enforcing non-existent laws, they sometimes backed down.
Paul

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Awesome Paul. Had one local County guy try to cross the line and come after me once for "digging" Firstly I was outside the county prop line and secondly I informed him that restrictions against digging were aimed at excavation of mineral resources and local native material. I was removing foreign material and not native mineral or soil content. Pulled it out of my you know what but he really liked the explanantion and moved along to perform his idea of public service elsewhere. Too bad "public service" has been turned to "public serve's us" in too many minds.

Paul T.

Tenderfoot
Jan 17, 2005
Thanks Dave45 and Lowbatts. ARPA (Archeological Resource Protection Act of 1979) protects Indian and archeological resources. Some overzealous bureaucrats have tried to stretch the meaning to include things laying on top of the ground such as arrowheads. But even president Bill Clinton was fond of walking along in the woods, collecting arrowheads. There's a provision in the act that excludes arrowhead protection, yet archeologists have pressed charges in such cases nonetheless. One problem is that our forests have these archeologists on staff for the purpose of advising the government in appropriate protection of potential historical and cultural (Indian) resources. Which means that the powers that be heed the archeologists when they say detecting is evil. So what we wind up with is a group of people (archeologists and forest supervisors) crafting their own sets of laws and regulations, without public input. I don't know about you but that's not the way the America I grew up in, works. Maybe Nazi Germany, but not America.

Archeologists often argue that every square inch of land was in existence 100 years ago, and so all of it is an archeological resource. Fact is, however, that they don't even have the money to do digs on any of the "known" sites, except the ones of major national importance. Let alone every pop-top ridden inch of land.

But it's important not to "condemn" archeologists as a whole. Some are even on our side. After all, the FMDAC has "archeological clubs" right in the name.

It became so hard to keep up though. I'd get 100 letters at a time every so often from the FMDAC national, from club members. So I'd have to go through each letter and answer it personally. Everything from "where can I join a club" to "please make detecting legal in my home town" requests, so it's not like the letters could be answered by bulk mail. It became too much for me to handle. They need a better way. A lot could be done if there were enough money or volunteerism.

I have no idea where the hobby stands today, from a legal-to-detect standpoint. Someday perhaps I'll return to the FMDAC to help out some more, but with a plan. A plan to make it more than just one guy getting hundreds of letters in the mail. I also travelled around the 8 or so states, attending meetings and speaking. What a wonderful hobby we have. The people in it are from all walks of life but mostly, just down to earth (literally, on their hands and knees digging finds!) people. Kind and passionate and fun loving people. People interested in recovering our heritage, one button - one Tootsie Toy - one Civil War - one coin at a time.
Paul T.

The Pete

Jan 14, 2005
Now is the time to push. As paul has said Towns have backed down and allowed detecting again. With the budget cuts they haven't got the funds for legal actions.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread