what do you keep your discrimination level at?

scavenger

Oct 21, 2004
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre (Soon to be teknetics T2SE)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
? I do " 0 " NO MATTER WHAT THE SITUATION ..............................you should go, absolutely no higher then BELOW NICKEL if you want to find Gold Rings. I HAVE A SOVEREIGN XS-2 PRO

The Pete

Jan 14, 2005
I use an MXT, do mostly demo sites with a DD coil, use relic mode, Discrmination set at 2-3, Got lots of old nickels this year. Got first 3 cent nickel (1873).

Jason in TN

Bronze Member
Oct 29, 2004
East Tennessee
I use the XLT I except form -30 to +94 on the vid scale on it.
Accepting in the - numbers it will accept trash but you can look
at the screen and decide what to dig. If you do not except them
you loose some depth.

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a DFX and when I hunt I discrim out the IRON but nothing else, as I walk I look at the
screen, and whatever numbers I see, I make a decision as to wheather I want to dig that
paticular target or not.
Much depends on location. in a Schoolyard I dig mostly coin signals highs for dimes & quarters
lows for nickels. and make an instant choice on the possible gold ring targets.
in a Churchyard I usually dig everything, but at times I'm picky.
In a field, since most targets are not modern trash, I dig it all.
And in a childrens playground, with sand or sawdust, or bark, I dig ever non Iron signal...
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.. ?8)

OP
OP
S

scavenger

Oct 21, 2004
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre (Soon to be teknetics T2SE)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
thanks for the input guys,
what do you think i should keep my compadre set on for parks and schoolyards? thanks
scavenger

ghost surf

Dec 11, 2004
Up where I live I put it on about near two the middle 5-8 and use my all notch button when I am trying to see if it is something solid and sounds good!Other wise I will keep it on all..I just want to hear pennies, nickles, dimes and quarters....And silver and gold. The junk I preffer dead off the system.I want to buy a detector that can pick up all and easy to use and water safe! I how ever will not give up my other detector because it works just fine!In the 600.00 to 800.00 range price with not a lot of bottuns and no screen!I preffer sound!They should make a separate hand held for that to use as an extra...because,I do better work when I am not interrupped by flashing things and signs and things of that notion! What do you think? any suggestions?

F

fahrenheit

Would all you posts say Sensitivity 8 and Discriminative Level on Iron? for school ground and parks?

what about Threshold, average?

fahrenheit

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you should have your sens to as high as possible without getting a lot of feedback
from your machine, or rather lower your senz to the point where you don't get
"hunters chatter" small pops and clicks associated with a high level of senz. Some sites you can set
it higher, some sites you have to set it lower. to make your machine stable. Tesoros are famous
for this chatter at hi senz levels....

As for discrim levels, well if you have a basic no meter machine and you set it just above Iron,
then in a football field, or school yard you will dig everything, this includes but is not limited to
things like foil wrappers, pencil erasers (horror) scraps of aluminum cans, pull tabs, pull rings without
the tabs, pull tab ends without the rings... and then if your really lucky after about 100 of these
signals you might (only might) get yourself a gold ring...
by my calculations you have to dig about 100 "other" targets before you get a nice ring...
and that does include pocket change...
my two cents worth..

OnionRings

Dec 15, 2004
Denver, Colorado
I hunt at zero discrimination It's seems the only way to find gold and nickles. If thats your goal to find these things you have to dig alot of signals there no way around it.
Onion

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In parks/trashy sites. Disc knob just above foil. Notch knob same. Switch in Disc mode. Sensitivity knob set at 9 oclock position. Switch in Variable tone.
If the tabs tick me off, i kick up the disc and notch and say to hell with the rings & nickels, i'm going for silver! :D
Minelab Sov Elite.

dave-enc

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Eastern North Carolina
I hunt with my discrimination set at 0 and Bobbie runs her machine at discrimintaion of 2. We both use the same make of machine.
Where you set your discrimination depends on you. If you are looking for gold especially pendents, chains, etc you want to keep your discrimintaion very low. I notice you said that you used a compadre. If you are hunting the playgrounds mulch sand etc. I would suggest running it with the least amount of discrimination you are willing to put up with. if you want to set it to reject iron take a paper clip and start adjusting your dicrimination until you get a click sound over. At that point you will be at iron rejection.
good luck and hh

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a BH Land Ranger and I find that if I am coinshooting I set my descrimination at about 3 on a scale of zero to ten. If the machine reads coins, it most likely is a coin. Any highar and it may be pull tabs or anything else. I haven't tried it at zero as someone has suggested but I am a newbie and learning.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
As Richard pointed out, what do you want to dig? Start using the machine at 0 disc and hunt the easy mediums first, such as playground material, sand, gravel and woodchips. Do this at one or two playgrounds then go to another and step it up a notch to see if you have a significant change in finds. Get htis worked out either with some practice targets at home or in easy diggins before you hit the dirt. That will make it easier for you to determine your comfort level with your machine.

None of us at some distant location knows, intuits or correctly imagines what the ground you're working will reveal and at what settings. That's why so very many posts end up with the very same answer. Practice targets first. Practice Pinpointing second. then repeat those steps again and again until you are comfortable with your machine. Then go play! Have fun!

O

ol ploock

Iron mask -14 on my explorer and I disc out the first 3 notches on my GTI

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread