Native American Artifact ID Needed Please

dave5339

Jan 3, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II, Minelab X-Terra 305, Garrett Pro Pointer
Hi all,

This is something my Grandmother collected in probably the early 70's in NW Kansas.

If my memory is correct it was probably a surface find after a heavy rain, (surface hunting was a common family pastime as a kid).

She had always referred to it as a Phoenix or Thunderbird. However I've not been able to google up any similar artifact.

Any ID help you might have is greatly appreciated.

014.jpg

011.jpg

Semper Fi

Upvote 0

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This almost always starts a controversy and usually ticks off the person posting one of these and asking about it, but 99.99999999999999% of those Thunderbirds or Eagles are fakes and tourist items. It is the general consensus among collectors that none of these items are legit. They have been around for as long as people have collected artifacts and probably always will be.

Sorry, but I highly doubt that was actually found by your Grandmother.

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I saw one and held it in my hand that a friend had found and he had witnesses that saw it come up out of the ground. I figure that some are fakes but I know for a lead pipe cinch that some are the real McCoy. I say this not having a picture to show...d2

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
There appears to be a small nick in the bottom left corner. Is there any patination change around that?

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SRV said:
This almost always starts a controversy and usually ticks off the person posting one of these and asking about it, but 99.99999999999999% of those Thunderbirds or Eagles are fakes and tourist items. It is the general consensus among collectors that none of these items are legit. They have been around for as long as people have collected artifacts and probably always will be.

Sorry, but I highly doubt that was actually found by your Grandmother.

Very well put SRV, and it does cause alot of controversy but I do agree.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread