Native American Stone Axe Head

Zyst

Jul 5, 2017
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys,

I posted this in the "What is This?" forum and they verified that it was an axe head. I think my grandfather found it around a spring on our property but am not 100% certain.

I was wondering if this could be found in the Piedmont of western North Carolina? I am trying to verify that he found it here on the land or came about it some other way. He didn't collect artifacts and has nothing else like this, though he was a farmer and turned up a lot of dirt.

The guys on the other thread told me to post it over here and see what you guys thought.

Would also be interesting to see if anyone knows anything else about this type of axe head? I was told on the other thread that it was a double groove.

Thanks,

Attachments

• IMG_3913.JPG
    IMG_3913.JPG
    592.7 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_3914.JPG
    IMG_3914.JPG
    536.3 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_3915.JPG
    IMG_3915.JPG
    531.5 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_3916.JPG
    IMG_3916.JPG
    348.4 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_3917.JPG
    IMG_3917.JPG
    465.4 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_3918.JPG
    IMG_3918.JPG
    528.2 KB · Views: 91
Upvote 0

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a full groove axe and a very old one at that. Also it is very nice and thanks for posting and Welcome to T-net:hello:

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By the color on it I would guess it was found in water looks to have a stain on it. Probably a Granite axe full groove like Rack said. Its a fine piece of history no matter where he found it.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice fullgroove axe. Widespread in North America in the Archaic Era. So sure, such tools are found in the Carolina Piedmont. And it's not uncommon for farmers to turn up artifacts, even if they don't themselves collect. Not unusual to find such tools in barns for instance, where the farmer may have tossed it. Farmer knows it's odd or it's a stone tool, and just hangs onto it. I'm speculating in this case, but, since your grandfather did not collect, if the story you relate is what has come down through the family, I would think chances are good that's exactly how he came by it...

Last edited:

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you were wondering as far as value .... You should hold on to it and keep it safe ... It's a rougher axe so wouldn't bring much money but they are getting harder to find and the fact it was your grandfathers makes it really special. I would display it somewhere safe , good conversation piece.

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the forum! It's very nice and one thing I wish I could find actually :icon_thumleft: It's very possible he found it in NC but like the others said this was a common tool for the NA's. If the land is still accessible I would be out there poking around if it were me.

DennisNash

Jul 12, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Possible...looks like.
I wonder how it feels like to touch the history?!
Where exactly you found it? You may be close to more items of that period if you dig in that place. :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread