What do you guys make of this cave carving?

mn9000

Oct 10, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I posted these photos in the "treasure marks/signs" section, but I wanted to hear what some of you guys thought about this too so I'm posting here as well. Hopefully posting the same topic in more than one section is allowed, if not I apologize.

This is along a smaller feeder creek that flows into a larger creek in a very remote part of southern Missouri. We have plenty of rock carvings in our part of the Ozarks but I'm not aware of any that look this one. And the fact that the eagle is facing to its left instead of its right makes it that much more of a mystery to me. (I blurred out my friends face since he's unaware I'm posting the photos online. )

Oddly enough, the cave is just a few feet above the normal water level of the creek so it certainly flooded out several times a year. Surely the person who carved the image knew the cave would be under water during heavy rains. But maybe not.

There were plenty of Bushwackers living in these parts & a few small Civil War skirmishes in the surrounding area but I can't seem to find any similar examples of civil war era carvings. I'm totally stumped. Any thoughts?

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1499588653.460053.jpg

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1499588671.502399.jpg

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1499588682.324156.jpg

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1499588703.571582.jpg

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1499588719.358041.jpg

Upvote 0

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have no idea, but to me, what a mystery.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only thought I can come up with is, "That would look good in my flowerbed" I love the carving and although I wouldn't steal it I would covet it. Thanks for the picture.

diverrick

Jan 18, 2011
Vacaville, CA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Minelab Eureka gold
Primary Interest:
Other
No idea,how, or who but it sure is a good job. Could it be a gravemarker for a fallen solder?

Tkaz

Dec 24, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I were you I'd put the sifter in the creek and start dumping shovel fulls in it. Who knows...maybe it's a marker for something buried back under there. Just a thought...

Sent from my SM-G930V using TreasureNet.com mobile app

coosakid

Nov 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool but no idea what it could mean

Sent from my Z799VL using Tapatalk

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Id look above the rock and also in the direction the eagle is looking maybe google map it to get a birds eye view of the area. Look for rock piles out of the ordinary in the area might be buried treasure close by imo. Looks to be Civil War related to me.

Mrdigz

Nov 14, 2015
Long Island ,NY
Detector(s) used
2 Whites MXT pros. Bullseye 2 & Bullseye trx pinpointers.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's awesome!! I would be neck deep in research.... and Dirt haha! Good luck!

OP
OP
mn9000

mn9000

Oct 10, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good call Rock, I'm going to pull up an arial view on the pc right now. I'll definitely be going back for a closer look as soon as I can talk myself into another round of poison ivy.

crj1968

Feb 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd guess a grave marker as well....crazy find!

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really cool Somebody put a lot of time into that. Grave marker would make sense. As far as treasure it seems you would want something more discrete and not something that catches everyone's eye.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know here where I live there is a on going myth of the civil war and it goes like this. The southern boys had a wagon of gold that they didnt want Sherman to get a hold of so the ran it into a big ditch and then buried it so nobody could find it. Must of been a good hiding place cause nobody has found it yet. At least nobody has admitted to finding it anyway. I know I wouldnt tell if I found it but do look when Im out.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
i have seen old caves with carvings in them...often just as graffiti...you know, names and dates and such...but I have also seen and heard stories where an actual stone mason was hired to come out and make something for a specific purpose. Your image looks professionally done, no armature work there, and I suspect that it is known of and someone somewhere close by knows the story. Start with the local historical society, show them the picture and keep asking. Imagine too, what you would be looking at say...150 years ago...minus all the current trees, roots and vegetation, since none of the current stuff looks to have any age to it.

thekspapa

Jul 11, 2016
Ne oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000, mine lab 305, at pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Will you be going back soon, with a dectector? I want to see more pictures. This is interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The eagle is the same one used during the civil war. Metal detector might show a camp site. We found a pistol carved into a limestone bluff here as kids. Went back to photograph it as an adult and someone had tried to remove it and destroyed it.It had a date on it that dated the civil war era and some battles in that area. It was beautiful. It is hard to protect things out in the middle on no where. After metal detecting the area I would call in a local archeologist so they could at least document it. I normally am not for calling them into private land but the carving is of some significance. It looks like the one on a civil war button without the stars.
It is not native American. That my opinion anyways.

Last edited:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a banner find in my book even though you cannot take it home :notworthy:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread