Native American stone tools. Better pictures and more finds. Part 2

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for looking Treasure hunter. I was hoping for no Jamus those are arrowheads. LOL! Also geofact forum is better then geology forum. I can see why you moved these threads. There is to much clutter on the Artifact forum.
Thanks for understanding. [emoji106]

Don't give up looking though, and your welcome to post ones your not sure about here to ask if they are Indian artifacts. If they are artifacts they will stay, if geofacts they will be moved after a few days or week if it is determined they are really geofacts and not Indian artifacts....

_________________________Tapatalk Signature_________________________

DT2016

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Can I offer those of you unable to distinguish rock from artifact some basic advice?

You might say you can go about looking for artifacts a couple of basic ways. One, you could really learn what artifacts from your neck of the woods actually look like. By the hundreds, or thousands even. In richly illustrated books, in museums, in collections. Especially helpful would be personal contact with collectors, where they can both show you and describe to you their artifacts. But, bottom line in this stage, is to just immerse yourself getting familiar with what actual artifacts from the region that you will be searching in actually look like.
Stage 2 of this approach is to go out and look, in areas where dirt is exposed, and near fresh water. With all those images of artifacts in your mind that you have viewed until blue in the face.

Two, another basic way to approach finding artifacts is to ignore completely the suggestions in the first approach. Learn nothing about artifacts common to your neck of the woods. Don't bother with any of that. Then, go out and pick up every single rock you see, and wherever you go, then post them to artifact forums and inquire until someone says you have found an artifact. In this method you can even invent your own theories, or conclude you understand all you need to understand. You can even talk to archaeologists and show them the rocks you pick up, and then you can misinterpret what they tell you, so as to be sure to carry those misunderstandings forward.

First approach: adopt this approach and you will find artifacts for sure. Just need to find productive locations.

Second approach: you may be picking up every rock you find for a long time before someone confirms you have succeeded. And along the way, instead of comparing your finds to what you learned beforehand, because you learned absolutely nothing beforehand, you can decide your rocks must be artifacts with your imagination, rather then your non existent knowledge. And you can draw your conclusions from the fountainhead of zero knowledge that is the source of your conclusions.

The second method can take a long, long, long time and a lot of rocks. But you might get lucky.

I do believe most of you guys are using the second method, the one that begins by learning nothing at all about artifacts from your region: the one that does not bother to see and learn what artifacts look like. Since 90% of what you find anyway will be small flaked tools, like points and scrapers, this method leads to a larger collection of large rocks, which is a waste of time given that 90%+ of artifacts will be no such thing. JMHO, but the second method has always struck me as pretty silly!

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1e45ab97ac044be1ed90cb83249236b8.jpg
54dc231376a0256f6f86cc840b635864.jpg

Found this one last week. Now you have an Native American Artifact.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doesn't change the thread...

DT2016

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
like staring at clouds...
6f6e3d5b-2a9f-457d-82fc-91f75454d6b7.jpg

tool or rock?

071116_AM_monkey_feat_free.jpg

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bob don't push your luck.

DT2016

OP
OP
M

matthew8606

Sep 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have some that look exactly like the three in the photo. The notches and all. Good find!

weasel1000

Oct 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
so, no one else can know anything except you. when i have questioins about a thing, it is because i've never encountered that type of item before == and yes, i've researched and taught myself about this topic till i'm blue in the face. so, if i present something, it is not to answer the question "is it real"..... it is to ask others if they've found items like it; because the thing comes under the category of a "what's it." so my goal would be to compare and discuss. I don't really need someone "on high" to give their approval, thanks.

CHUDs

Feb 13, 2014
Santa Cruz, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I pick up a lot of geofacts and other rocks I believe to be artifacts...usually I will pick thru them at home and weed thru to just a few I will post...I saw one in all of your pics that I would have picked up. It appears to be the broken end of a pestle. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1481937698.974708.jpg .

weasel1000

Oct 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
wow..... this is one of the more insulting things i've seen here (and that's saying something cuz there's a lot of clique-ish bullying here, sadly). But the presumptions that you make are almost breathtaking..... the prejudice and evident superiority complex seen here will certainly drive other people away, as they've driven me away. Way to be inclusive and welcoming. Number one: You automatically presume that this guy knows nothing and cannot possibly get along without your educating him. Just dazzling in its ignorance. And, mind you, you're talking about a person you've never met --- that you don't know. And, though i thought that Matthew was NOT insulting to you, you certainly are insulting to him --- calling him snide and etc. For what, exactly ? for challenging all you "experts" ? for believing in himself and standing up for his things ? I very heartily dispute your assumptions that no one else can be right, except you --- that no one else knows anything but you. That position might carry some weight if your verdicts were consistently correct, but i've witnessed your experts being wrong enough times to know that they're NOT expert. And that's what's galling..... causing people to give up on themselves and their finds based on your (wrong) word; which we are expected to accept as gospel, based on what again exactly ? Now then, I say, based on 50+ years of collecting rocks AND artifacts, based on as much time spent learning about geology, history, natives and etc. I feel pretty safe in saying that Matthew has some things that merit real consideration. I don't feel that way about all of the things, but i definitely believe it's wrong to call all of the things just rocks. The real mystery is why a good number of you persist in shooting down things that you can't be conclusive about. You simply cannot get all of the information you need from a few questionable photos. To get my items "approved", i had to drive them to the meeting hall where the archaeologists were.... they had to hold, feel and really examine the things, in some cases with magnification. That is a real, thorough and valid examination that i could believe in. also, saying that you are trying to educate him really indicates that you look down on him.

OP
OP
M

matthew8606

Sep 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well said my friend. Pictures definitely don't do justice. I will look in to that place you were talking about. I have a substantial amount that I have inquired in the past year and would love for them to get examined. Its people like you who help keep me believing, and well.., a little bit of imagination can go a long way. Thanks again my friend. Happy Hunting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread