Native American tool(?) found in Alms Park, Cincinnati

Jan 27, 2015
Cincinnati, Ohio
Primary Interest:
Other
Anyone have any idea what this is? My sons and I found it on the ground while hiking in Alms Park, Cincinnati, which sits at the top of a hill overlooking the Ohio and Little Miami River valleys. The ancient peoples who lived around here were, in order of ancientness, Adena, Hopewell, Fort Ancient, Shawnee / Miami / Mingo / Wyandot. One knowledgeable guy told me it is probably not an artifact. I think maybe he thought it was just a water smoothed stone. But it recently occurred to me that we found this on a hill, not near a stream. I have been reading a book on Hamilton County archaeology (I have been doing some land use planning work), and I am starting to think this was a tool. It resembles photos I have seen of locally found celts, hand axes, axe heads, atl atl weights and one example of a wedge used for splitting willow to make baskets. It is small, so I think it was a tool, not a weapon. Notice how the wider tip appears to have been beveled into a sharp point (the sharpness of which has probably been worn down through use)? I suspect this was a sharpening, cutting or sanding tool, probably used by a woman (judging from its size). Hamilton County, Ohio, near the rivers, was practically a Native American "metropolis" for the past thousand or so years, so I don't think it is a stretch to think this is an artifact.

Your help is appreciated. Thanks.

Carlos

Attachments

• DSC02141.JPG
    DSC02141.JPG
    20.4 KB · Views: 359
  • DSC02140.JPG
    DSC02140.JPG
    17.7 KB · Views: 369
  • DSC02135.JPG
    DSC02135.JPG
    133.8 KB · Views: 136
Upvote 0

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It resembles photos of the things you mentioned but I believe it to be just a rock. If it was a used tool, the bevelled edge would show wear marks, and the pics are blurry on my screen. It also goes to the context in which it was found. Other artifacts around that indicate an historic or prehistoric presence at the site, or just this lone rock on the hill?

Metal Illness

Jul 1, 2011
Englewood, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like what I call an IR, interesting rock. The pics are a bit blurry and don't show good detail. I do not see any peck marks, or wear that would indicate Indian Artifact. JMO, truthfully in our area of SW Ohio most "Stone" artifacts will be made of banded slate or speckled granite. From the picture yours looks like it might be sandstone. Interesting though, keep your eyes open, your in a great area for Indain artifacts.

Metal Illness

Jul 1, 2011
Englewood, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Carlos, another thing to keep in mind going forward, give a general location when you find and display your artifacts. There are those out there that will absolutely root in/trespass on your sites if you divulge exact locations. Good luck and happy hunting!

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a rock, better luck next time...

Posted From My $50 Tablet....

Last edited:
OP
OP
C
Jan 27, 2015
Cincinnati, Ohio
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks, RGINN. I am almost certain other artifacts were found around that site, because the Cincinnati Park Board gives a history of Alms Park in which it refers to the park as being on "Bald Hill." The Park Board explains that the first Cincinnati settlers, who lived in the valley below, noticed that the natives cleared the trees from the top of that hill so as to better spy on the settlers; hence the name "Bald Hill." My sons and I did not find any other artifacts, but the exposed parts of the hillside along the trail are crazy chock full of Ordovician fossils. Fossil hunting is the reason my boys were sifting through the dirt, and found the "interesting rock."

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't know about your area but here they will put you in a long time out for picking up anything in a park that is artifact related. Might want to read the rules in your state.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread