Nautical Archaeologists

S

Shark Bait

I'm currently in college and trying to get my degree in oceanographic archaeology. Does anyone here do that for a living? I spent years debating between marine biology and archaeology and finally just combined the two. (with fashion as a minor - weird huh?) I would like to specialize in the Caribbean (but I think most American nautical archaeologists pretty much do) - anyways, any info. on the profession, good schools to go to, ANYTHING, would be very much appreciated. I'm deciding between Florida State and West Florida (currently I live in Texas and am done w/most of my history - busy working on fashion until I can get out of here). :D

fldiver

Mar 12, 2006
My suggestion would be to visit both schools to help with your decision. They're both good schools but UWF is more accesible to the beach. The FSU marine lab is about an hour drive SW of Tallahassee at Turkey Point, so when you have to do actual excursions could be an inconvenience. I grew up in Tallahassee but if both schools offer the same thing academically speaking then I would lean towards UWF, because of the location and Pensacola is a nice place.

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
Dang skippy Pensacola is a nice place!!! ;D

Seriously though, as much trouble as I get into with the UWF Underwater Archaeology group when plying our local wrecks, I have to say they do have a top-notch program with all of their field schools in the backyard so to speak.

When I attended UWF (1992), the group had just discovered the Emmanuel Point shipwreck which was wrecked by a hurricane in 1559. This wreck is one of 8 Spanish barques on a colonization mission that sank from this hurricane. So far, this is the only one confirmed to be found - publicly anyway. There are also several ships from the English occupation period (1760-1781) that are known to be sunk in our waters - one of which has been located.

Good luck in your endeavours my friend,

Pcolaboy

fldiver

Mar 12, 2006
Cap Z. said:
Fldiver,
Does Tallahassee have gold mines like in northen Georgia or northen Mexico?
Just curious,
Cap Z
8)

LOL...Don't I wish! No Cappy you gotta go a little North of Atlanta before you hit gold, but it can be found in places other than Dalonegha. I'm stuck in Ga. on a construction Project for about a year so I might try my hand at panning sometime while I'm here.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions