Nautilus users...I need your help!!!

dirtdigger1581

Jun 18, 2011
Chesapeake, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Minelab Excalibur II 1000, Garrett AT Pro, Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I recently bought a used Nautilus DMC IIB and took it out today for the first time. I brought to a field where I've had success with my E-trac and everyone said that the Nautilus is deeper so I was excited to try it in the areas I've had previous success. I was hoping to find any relics that I missed with the E-trac. Unfortunately, after setting the machine up as per the owners manual suggestion I couldn't get the left side of the headphones(disc side) to stop chirping erratically in my ear. I can't imagine this is normal or else how else are you supposed to separate a good signal from a random chirp. I'm absolutely new to this machine, so I imagine I'm doing something wrong in my setup, but wanted your opinions. I was able to get some relics, but only stuff that was 6" inches or closer to the surface. Managed one round ball by dumb luck I think. Any suggestions as to what I might be doing wrong, or do you think there's a problem with the machine? All suggestions are appreciated! Thanks!

Happy Hunting!

-Nate

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nautilus problems come down to a few main things. First with a secondhand detector is the coil. I don't find Nauty coils to last quite as long as some brands perhaps due to the fact you can put 44 volts through the coil rather than the 7 or 8 of most detectors.

If you could borrow another to try problem might be over. Other than that its either the coil balancing or the ground balancing. Coil balancing is easy when you have the knack but it takes a little time for everything to click so it becomes automatic. I would switch into autotune before doing it because it just makes thinks so easy compared to going back and restoring the threshold by pressing the retune button for each null.
Ground balancing is also vital but if there's no problem from the all metal channel it should be O.K.

What coil size are you using ? To big will cause difficulties especially if your not use to the detector. Also you might just be using to low a discrimination level for that particular site. I always push people to reduce their discrim. levels with other detectors but if your getting a lot of chirping then try discrimination as high as 20.

Best of luck !

OP
OP
dirtdigger1581

dirtdigger1581

Jun 18, 2011
Chesapeake, VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the suggestions Brian. It may be the coil, but the guy I got the detector from said the coil was rebalanced 6 months ago and hadn't been used since then. It's got the 10" coil on it. I started off using it with the disc at about 15, but then when I was having chirping problems I bumped it up to about 30 and still had the problem. I'm going to give it another shot at another site to see if I can get things smoothed out, but if that doesn't help then I might have to send it out to have it looked over. I'll give your suggestions a try though and see where that gets me first. I appreciate your help. Thank you!

-Nate

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't remember if the leaflet they give out with the detector mentions offsetting the ground balance. In theory it costs a little depth but has the advantage of cutting down false signals in the discrimination mode.
I think you would need to balance correctly and then turn the control slightly position (or is it negative ? brains not working to well this time of the morning). Try increasing the number a fraction first.

OP
OP
dirtdigger1581

dirtdigger1581

Jun 18, 2011
Chesapeake, VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
U.K. Brian said:
I can't remember if the leaflet they give out with the detector mentions offsetting the ground balance. In theory it costs a little depth but has the advantage of cutting down false signals in the discrimination mode.
I think you would need to balance correctly and then turn the control slightly position (or is it negative ? brains not working to well this time of the morning). Try increasing the number a fraction first.

Others have suggested a slight positive gb, so I think that's what you were thinking of. I plan to try it out today. Thanks!

E.V.

Greenie
Mar 30, 2014
Troy,Va
Detector(s) used
Nautilus,Fisher 1260,65,66,70,Garrett GM3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let the detector warm up about 15 minutes before expecting no chirps, CAREFULLY set SLB balance (auto tune switch off).Ground balance around 70 (normal ground) Power level about 25. Excellent detector as is the 2ba-its simplier buddy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread