Nazi Cache in Mid illinois?

Johnny X

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2005
Jerseyville Illinois
Detector(s) used
White's Spec. XLT..... My Eyes
I was md'ing around an old Tavern site that had been demolished not quite sure how long ago, probably 1950's or so. But I got and hit and when I dug down.. I found not one, not two, but three nazi coins. one 1937 Paul Von Hindenburg and two 1939 Paul von Hindenburg coins. on the side with the eagle holding the swaztika there is a number 2 on it. I'm not sure how much they were worth or how much they're worth now. any ideas?

Thanks Steven

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Johnny X

Johnny X

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2005
Jerseyville Illinois
Detector(s) used
Yea i went out last weekend and found 2 more whole points and a nice chunk of pottery. My grandpa went to the field and found to more "Toy" (small) axes.

Keep safe.

Steven

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
Steven, the 2 is for 2 Reichsmarks. They sell for $3-5 on ebay. Nice finds!

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
with an estimated 500,000 german p.o.w's held in the u.s. during the war i would suspect many small stashes like this would be found................gldhntr

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice finds! I still have not found one and I'm in Germany, LOL! The 2 Mark coins are .625 silver and Benz answered their worth of $3-$5 each today. HH, Mike

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on those finds! And would love to see the artifacts that you found too!!!

Nana ;)

OP
OP
Johnny X

Johnny X

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2005
Jerseyville Illinois
Detector(s) used
Thanks for all of the posts guys!
500,000 pow's. You would definitely expect more of those era artifacts to be found.
If I can get ahold of a digital camera i'll post more pics. Or if I can find the dirty rotten scoungrel (sp)... who stole mine.......

Happy Hunting One and ALL!!!!!!

Keep your eyes on the ground

Your fellow treasure enthusiast,
Steven

S

southbound

Nice find Johnny! I have a couple of those coins in my collection. Vern :)

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
really cool find! makes you wonder how they got there. probably spilled out of someones pocket. you wouldnt think that pows would have much money on them but maybe they did. great interesting find!

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
Bavaria Mike, When I was in Augsburg, Bavaria in 1974-1977 I worked the site of the military dependants school. I found a string of five nazi two mark coins and seven cannon shells from a fighter plane. I surmise that someone was being straffed and was rolling like hell to get away. In the same grounds on top of a pebble was a BU mercury dime. If you get to search Sheridan Caserne be careful. We uncovered a bunch of anti-tank mines that were still live. One load blew up a deuce-and-a-half while EOD was transporting it to the quarry for demolition. exanimo, ss

rockers6

Tenderfoot
Mar 20, 2006
Illinois
John, During WWII ,I think that three German Pow camps were in Illinois. Camp Ellis near Macomb, Camp Grant in Rockford, and Fort Sheridan in Highland Park. Good Luck in your hunting!

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice find's johnny,sound's like you got some nice piece's to add to the collection.Post the pic's when you can..glad to see Grandpa is getting out too!!HH!!

oberkill

Aug 12, 2005
Cool find! Glad to see you post havnt heard from you in awhile! Keep up the good work. We need to meet up and go point hunting. I will take pics for you!!!

Alan

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
very cool finds, we have two camps here in the U.P. of michigan that i know of, planning to hit one in the hurion mtns this summer

montepollock

Jan 25, 2006
ft scott Ks
Detector(s) used
,Eagle Spectrum, Fisher1236x2,CZ5,tesoro golden
That is a nice find.Never found any german coins but once searched site of POW camp in Kansas.the man who showed me site was an pow.after the war he married a local farmers daughter and became a successfull farmer himself.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread