Upvote 0

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The rusty one looks like a top part of an oil filter to me.

hammong

Aug 29, 2009
The cable could be a spare-tire raising cable, I've seen some that look like that with a (missing) metal plate that the cable knot goes through to secure the spare. The rusty ring definitely looks like the hub of a oil filter as the other posted mentioned.

Greg

dfx willy

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2008
donna the broken piece looks like a lock plate. any writing on the back of the button? could be the oldest find there. willy

OP
OP
Breezie

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks ya'll for the replies. Yes, I do agree about the top of an oil filter. I cleaned off the rust enough to see threads on the inside hole.

As far as the button is concerned, I found it in one of my Civil War books, and it is indeed a very early CW button. It is marked on the back: "PLATED."

Willy, I dont' think the other items is a Lock Plate, but a CW Saddle or Bridle plate rosette. I found a similiar one in a CW book, plus the hole in the middle is very small. It is engraved with decorative sworls/lines.

As far as the Spare Tire Holder is concerned, the black rubber cord is very thin, and not strong enough to hold something as heavy as a tire. The jury is still out on this one.

Thanks,
Donna

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
I would think the rubber item is modern not cw era -- the one looks like oil filter as said now for the older stuff --congrats on the button by the way :icon_thumright:-- the plate type item looks like a face plate cover for a draw pull off a chest or bit of furniture.

Old River

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2007
Texas, Old River Winfree
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett 2500, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett AT PRO, Garrett ADS Master hunter, Garret Pro Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congradulations on the finds, and a big old WELCOME TO T-NET. Will be looking forward to more post from you. Hope you make more good finds. Happy Hunting.......

OP
OP
Breezie

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the welcome. Mystery Solved: I received an email today from a Civil War expert, and this is a copy/paste of his email. The piece with the rubber tubing is part of a filter canteen. The metal is almost certainly pewter, as pewter was a commonly used metal for these.
One end of the tube would be put into the water source and the water would pass through the tube past a filter device that contained a piece of felt or sponge and on into the canteen. Very crude and not very effective except for larger pieces of vegetation, etc. that might be in the water. There were a number of patents issued for filter canteens and most utilized such a contraption of rubber tubing, pewter filter devices, and usually two spouts
on the body of the canteen itself.
:icon_thumleft:

Old River

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2007
Texas, Old River Winfree
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett 2500, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett AT PRO, Garrett ADS Master hunter, Garret Pro Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Proud to see your mystery has been solved. It was a very interesting explanation of find. Get out there, and find more. HH.......

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
very interesting * I would have thought the old rubber wold have rotted away by now --thats why I thought modern -- keep that ID in mind.

OP
OP
Breezie

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ivan salis said:
very interesting * I would have thought the old rubber wold have rotted away by now --thats why I thought modern -- keep that ID in mind.
Rubber decomposes very slowly. Some scientists say a rubber tire in a landfield can take centuries to decompose, which is one reason landscapers use 'rubber mulch.' Living in NC, I've lived through many hurricanes. I happened to get caught on the coast during Hurricane Dennis, and the walk on the beach the day after was unreal. I've never seen so many rubber tires washed up on the beach. They all looked like used tires look even though they had been submerged in the ocean for upteen years.
Breezie

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice flat button! I've dug alot of civil war relics but that one has never crossed my path. Nice digs :wink:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread