Nearly Died Today

Tommi

Sep 19, 2005
Australia
Detector(s) used
Famous-Trails-MD9100 ACE250-PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It wasn't a snake, nor a dingo or a huge croc.... it was a killer TREE!!!
I started walking to the bush near my house and I was minding my own business and enjoying life when suddenly I heard this wooden cracking sound, at first I was little puzzled, ??? is someone chopping wood? no, maybe its the tree that I'm under, ahuh it is.. could be just moving in the wind... hmm I have been pondering now for a while and its still cracking... so no its not moving in the wind...
I can't really describe that moment but this little smiley face can: :o
At that moment I ran and as I turned around a huge part of the tree smashed into the ground and the tips of the branches hit my feet.

I cleaned the mess up as good as I could and made it possible for cars to still get by and all the little grannies came out to inspect the damage, I advised them to call the local council to clean it up and the council did a half job.. but better then nothing I suppose.

Attached are the pics after the council workers came, before they came the tree blocked the whole street (knowing my local council I thought the tree would be over the road for a week so I wasn't in any rush to come back from my bush hike to take photos..DOH! I was wrong)

Attachments

• tree1 (480 x 640).jpg
    tree1 (480 x 640).jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 650
OP
OP
Tommi

Tommi

Sep 19, 2005
Australia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
another

Attachments

• tree2 (600 x 450).jpg
    tree2 (600 x 450).jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 663
OP
OP
Tommi

Tommi

Sep 19, 2005
Australia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
another

Attachments

• tree3 (450 x 600).jpg
    tree3 (450 x 600).jpg
    56 KB · Views: 636
OP
OP
Tommi

Tommi

Sep 19, 2005
Australia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
different view

Attachments

• tree4 (450 x 600).jpg
    tree4 (450 x 600).jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 640

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
:o :o :o damn! thank god it didnt land on you!

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that happened to me once while out in the woods
was standing by a rooted tree then started walking around
had the headphones on blah blah blah
then i look over and i see the tree about 60 feet away
come rippin down :o
the bulk of it was 40 feet high and went in the opposite direction
but still got the ol juice in the veins flowing :o

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom! :o That could a been bad! Glad you were quick enough to get outta there!

:)

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Really glad you werent hurt. My best friends son was killed last year by this very same type of thing.. Walking in the woods and a huge tree just crashed down with no warning.Last week another logger in our area was killed by a freak tree fall. There is something that affects trees when the weather turns colder and just before a hard rain,that causes trees to lose their limbs or crash. Everyone needs to be careful out there.

S

stefen

In California, some varities of Eucalyptus, California Peppers, Sycamores and other tree species, are known for this problem which is due to loss of turger (internal tension) and the limbs literally explode and drop.

Pimp Lenin

Apr 4, 2006
The Great State of Louisiana
Detector(s) used
P.O.S.
Wow Tommi! I remember when you left the chat last night you said you were going for a walk in the bush. I told you to look out for headhunters, remember!

Looks like a gum tree. Never understood why people want them so close to their homes. It is like having a ton of napalm sitting next to your house.

I'm glad you are okay.

OP
OP
Tommi

Tommi

Sep 19, 2005
Australia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
G'day guys, thanks for the kind words :)

That tree certainly scared me, it came down apparently from rotting; a little old grandma told me that she has seen water pouring out of the limb after heavy rains.

The situation certainly makes you think twice about trees, today I went shark fishing (only caught a few little fish no sharks :-\ ) and I was parked under a big Eucalyptus gum tree .... the wind picked up and I didn't want to risk it so I moved the car away.

Becareful ladies and gentlemen, remember to look up and be aware of your surroundings.

Pimpa is a headhunter a tree? (I still reckon its those crazy magpies!)

Detector Man

Dec 6, 2005
California
Detector(s) used
XLT, MXT PRO
be glad you zagged instead of zigged.. ;D

A few years ago i was playing tourist guide and went to Sequoia National Park with a visiting family member...as we stood around the General Sherman sequoia tree...i heard something cracking and popping....we looked up and wayyyyy up i do mean waaay up there i could barely see something tumbling down....had plentyof time to promptly get out of the way...as this branch came down we could hear the racket of the branch breaking up into many pieces and finallly (seemed forever) it landed not far from us....not a giant branch but could have seriously messed up our day.

gilbert

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread