Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to a base today that is closing for good in December ,with a crew to scavenge for tools ,parts ect that we could make use of. The base was aGerman train station and repair depot during the war. Hanging from the wall was a large crude looking bell that was painted red and said ring in case of fire. The superintendent said it was a WW2 bomb? cut in half to make a bell which was going to be thrown away after the base closure.He said the only reason it is still there is no one wants to try to move it. I asked if I could have it and he said sure if you can get it down. I quickly found a forklift and got some help and got it down from the wall. When I looked around I saw there was quite an audience watching . I put it in the back of the truck and brought it back to the shop . The main problem? is the thing weighs about 200 pounds and it will be hard to get back to the states.I will figure something out. I do not have any pictures because the? bell is at workand I did not have a camera with me..I also need to make sure that it is 100% OK for me to take it home.It should not be a problem. I hope I can put some Pics up in the next week or so. It is not very pretty but I think it is a neat piece of history. HH I added a couple of pictures,like I said ,not the prettiest thing around. The pics might not look like much but so far,it has gotten quight popular.People have been showing up all day to check it out.Hope pics turn out ok.HH

Attachments

• CIMG0017.JPG
    CIMG0017.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 497
  • CIMG0019.JPG
    CIMG0019.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 502
  • CIMG0020.JPG
    CIMG0020.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 504
  • CIMG0021.JPG
    CIMG0021.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 503
Upvote 0

kermit

Aug 9, 2005
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Whites V3I, AT PRO, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: neat find

Yep I would like to see a Pic of that baby. 200lbs that should make a real dinner bell.

Kermit

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola

Sounds like a great piece of history that you saved from destruction :o Good job ;) Maybe if you did want to hang it you could find two trees and hang it on a large rod in between em ??? Thats gonna be a hard thing to hang....Is it hard to ring?

OP
OP
birdman

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If I get lucky enough to go back to Florida,I have a big oak in the front yard that I will hang it from. If I go elsewhere I will probably take it to my parrents farm.I just hope that I do not have any problems getting it back to the states.I will try to get some pics as soon as possible.

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Cool find, good luck toting it around! HH, Mike

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Excellent! I hope you can get it back OK. I remember when I was overseas it was so hard to get a car back that they were passed on from one GI to another and remained in the ownership of a GI until they were salvaged...which usually meant just leaving them beside the road! This was in the 1960's and many of the cars were early 1940s models. KS aka JIM

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d

Very cool!!!
I would love to see a pic of it, when possible...
Good luck & Happy hunting~

OP
OP
birdman

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Pictures aren't great but they are better then nothing.I had a guy tell me at one time ,it was a 500 pounder but I don't think he was sure .I was told it was from WW2 but who knows. The metal is about 3/4 an inch thick and the thing is heavy.It is good for conversation. :) Thanks for looking,HH

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VERY COOL !

I hope They let you Take it Home.

Good Luck !

Jeff

OP
OP
birdman

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For years the bell was used as the only alarm for a fire in this huge building.Two years ago they installed a state of the art fire detection system and they kept the bell around because ,it was a tradition to have it around.The new warning system cost 132thousand dollars and now the building which was built during the war is being torn. Lots of wasted money.O well, at least I got the bell.I have not seen any markings on it but the paint may be covering something up.I have the OK to take it ,its just the task of loading and unloading it in my small VW golf. ??? Thanks for reading and happy hunting.

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like a 500 pound bomb, I have seen several dug up around here over the years. They also have one on display in front of the dispensary, they found it when building. HH, Mike

kermit

Aug 9, 2005
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Whites V3I, AT PRO, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you should tell TMO that it's a dog bowl or a coffee table and see if they will float it back over for ya. I know flower pot....

Just roll that baby up in some newspaper and send it own it's way.....

Kermit

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Very cool, thanks for the pics,,, now I want to here it... ;D
I'm a big wind chime freak, I would probably attach something on the rope at the bottom that would catch the wind, and when ya heard that baby sound off you would know that the wind is really kicking up. ( Early warning device...lol )
Hang' er in a tree, or on the porch and let 'er rip...

Fast Eddie

Aug 6, 2005
Quad Cities Illinois
PERCHANCE he for whom this bell tolls may be so ill, as that he knows not it tolls for him; and perchance I may think myself so much better than I am, as that they who are about me, and see my state, may have caused it to toll for me, and I know not that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread