Need a little help about Karl von Mueller

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
He spent alot of time looking for big caches but he got rich on the little ones. The biggest search he made was for the LUE treasure which has been tapped but not emptied. Some details on that treasure appear in THM7. exanimo, siegfried schlagrule

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
exanimo redux said:
About all that I could reckon as one of the reasons that he moved on to southern Colorado. Old Spanish mining activities, the LUE, into The Valley of Secrets.

KVM was a regular columnist in treasure magazines and wrote some speciaty books such as " The Owlhooter's Manual " ( written as Deek Gladson ) during his final few years. He and his wife travelled the Treasure Show circuit some too. He signed my copy of the hooters' book at the treasure show in Tulsa in 1988. Anyway, he stated in one of his articles that he settled in southern Colorado because he was closing in on a Spanish mining operation that was covered over and never re-opened. I forget the name of the place, but he revealed that he and partners had varified the story was authentic and that when it was found, the value would be the greatest of all "lost mines and treasures".

larrybass

Jan 12, 2006
Ottawa, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro-Amigo
:) Hi Shortstack, it sounds like you were fortunate enough to meet this great man in your travels. Lucky you! 8) I've read alot of KvM's writings but nowhere near what I would like to read. How rich an experience that must have been for you, to shake his hand and talk with him about his Owlhooters book, which I also have! I wonder how close he was getting to the Spanish Mining op? From the first article I ever read by this amazing gentleman, I was hooked. He was a man for the people. How many TH'ers has he inspired over the years, I often wonder? How many caches have been recovered by folks who took Karl's info and ran with it? How many good people have made their way in life, a lot simpler because of some of the stuff he printed in that sweet little Owlhooters Manual of his? I've got the Merkitch Sifter book too. Anyone could easily make a living in popular beach areas of the world, by following the info and well laid out plans, contained in that marvelous little book of his.

Since I became a member here, I've been trying to find threads about Karl. I've met with limited success. Does anybody want to get a whole new post about this great man started? We can all take turns at telling others certain things that he said and did in his writings and in real life. I know that a book could easily be written about this wonderful man, so I think a few of us in here should be able to keep a thread about him going for quite awhile. Anyone interested? Mr Schlagrule? Mr. Redux? Mr Shortstack? I'm also quite sure that many others will join the thread if we start one, to hear our opinions, observations and confirmations etc. Many in here have never heard about Mr.Miller and I think it is our duty, the ones who loved this great man, to share whatever it is we want to share about him with anyone smart enough to listen...

Let me know boys. 8)

OP
OP
bja3908

bja3908

Aug 19, 2006
galveston tx
Larrybass start a thread I know a lot of people here will have story's to tell. I never met the man but get a letter once answering a ? I had sent him.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got to meet KVM in person just that once and I, too, got a letter from him in response to a question. The letter writing was when he was a columnist for one of the treasure magazines. I asked him his opinion about a certain information purveyor and his answer was not too complementary. I won't mention that person's name. :)

LarryBass, you do know that he also wrote under the name of Deek Gladson don't you? He got that name from rearranging his wife's first and maiden names--Gladyce Deekson. He mentioned that in one book. After he passed on, his son was operating his EXANIMO Establishment down in Texas. I don't know what ever happened to that situation. I wish they'd reprint all of his books and booklets again. The reprinting wouldn't even have to be hardcopy. It could be handled strictly as e-books. Since RAM publishing published his books, they may have some say in the matter. RAM is owned by Garrett.

If a person can get their hands on just the Treasure Hunter's Manual #6 and Treasure Hunters Manual #7, they'd have all of the tips they'd need. The "secret" is to read, reread, and reread again, and pay attention to WHAT you're reading. Like he explains, he doesn't lead a person by the hand, he teaches purely by example. You need to read between the lines. If at all possible, try to add the Encyclopedia of Buried Treasure Hunting, by KVM and Sudden Wealth, by Deek Gladson. Those 4 books will give you all of the basic techniques you'll ever need.

Ty

Oct 12, 2004
Alabama
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro, White's IDX, Custom Water Detector, White's Coinmaster, Vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shortstack,

I corresponded with Dean for many years. His early THM books were published by the Gold Bug out of CA.. I suppose somewhere along the way some of his books were picked up by Ram.

I don't/didn't agree with everything he wrote, but he certainly made for some serious reading and much of his writing was gospel. I suppose it was natural that we corresponded since we wrote for the same publications.

I hope you guys start a thread that attracts many posters as his is a story that needs to be perpetuated. It is absolutely correct, if you "read between the lines" on some of his published writings, you will glean some great information. Some stories you don't have to read between the lines of course.

HH,
Ty

OP
OP
bja3908

bja3908

Aug 19, 2006
galveston tx
I think a thread about writers of the 60's and 70's would be good. Thomas Penfield,William Mahan, and many others. I am very interested in their life's, as they were the ones who I read when I started TH. Larrybass started this thread so lets see if he comes up with a ideal.

OP
OP
bja3908

bja3908

Aug 19, 2006
galveston tx
I am sorry I not larrybass started this thread but it was lb ideal to start a new thread so I will wait to see what he has to say.

larrybass

Jan 12, 2006
Ottawa, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro-Amigo
:) Well buddy Bja, looks like we won't have to startup another new KVM post after all. :) This one of yours here, seems to be doing just fine friend! 8) Lots of good responses so far. In another post elsewhere, Mr. Schlagrule suggested that people could do a search for KVM or they could even read through his posts, Treasure Hunting 101,201,301. Also he said to try and find some posts by someone called Treasure Master, who has posted somewhere in here in the past... I think it is Very kool, that you have one of his letters that he wrote to you too, by the way! 8) Now that you've mentioned some of the other ol' timers that helped get us all kickstarted back in the day, why not tell us a little something right in here, that you learned from, say, Mahan for starters...I've heard very little about him but his name is familiar, so maybe you could enlighten this ol' doggy a bit about him? ;)

Hey ya Shortstack, ya although he was well versed in manners, he would certainly get uncomplementary quick enough if you asked his honest opinion about something or someone, especially if they were jerks or (whatever other word you'd care to put in here) gave him reasons to not care for them. He was a real straight shooter that didn't think much of bullies or loudmouths. He knew how to put those types in their place. As Ty mentioned, his writings were NOT for everyone. In fact he ran into lots of opposition as most good folks in life are apt to do, just by trying to help others see where he was coming from and where he was going. I for one, chose from the word go, to follow him as much as my poor little old brain could handle. I had never met a writer who could stir stuff in me that others didn't even know I had the potential to know, let alone, get totally hooked on. I'll add more in here later, after you guys all add another little piece of stuff about this remarkable man. ;)

Ty, thanx for the very "close" input there, my man! Your last name wouldn't start with a B, now would it? How kool is that, that you and the Master wrote to one another?! Then too, like you mentioned, it was sort of natural, what with you sir, being skilled in the same craft then, as our Main Man! 8) Perhaps you may wish to tell us a little more please, anything you want, about what you mostly got from our dearly departed treasure penman, who we hold in such esteem. :) Seems so far, sir, that you just may be the fella in here that knew him the best of all the forum. Who else then could reveal those neat little tid-bits about our hero in here, better than you, my friend? Thanx again Ty, for such cool feedback to Bja's request for info on the Dean of American Treasure Writers. 8)

LarryB

OP
OP
bja3908

bja3908

Aug 19, 2006
galveston tx
William Mahan wrote the book '' PARDE ISLAND TREASURE KINGDOM OF THE WORLD'' copyright 1967. He also owned D-TEX MD"S in Texas. Any article or book about Padre from the 60's or 70's is bond to have his name in it some where. The book ''THE TREASURE HUNTERS DIGEST'' has a lot of info about him and his life, not a great TH book it is worth reading just to get incite on a great Treasure Hunter. His book Padre Island is a must for anyone interested PI or the 1553 treasure fleet. He is the man who found a lot of treasure on PI and all over Texas. Hope we get a lot feedback on him.

Ty

Oct 12, 2004
Alabama
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro, White's IDX, Custom Water Detector, White's Coinmaster, Vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LB,
You got me. Yes, last name starts with a B...
I didn't know Dean/Karl real well, but we passed letters back and forth for a few years way back when. Most of the talk was general treasure hunting, cache hunting and detectors.
The copy of THM 7 I have was copyrighted in 1965, published in 1966 (year I started in the hobby) and how or if it differs from later versions, I have no idea.
Someone who shall remain nameless picked up the Little Monster, I believe it was named, that was in THM 7 and did a few mods and started a detector company with that as their first detector according to Karl.
From what I've heard, some things that were said in our correspondence seems to me to indicate that the LUE treasure is a total fabrication. This was done to throw some people who were too close to a real treasure off track. Where this is true or not, I have no idea.
Most interesting guy to talk to, and without doubt, could spin some yarns that would get one out to research or check out some leads.
My partner and good friend passed away a few years back, and that just about ended my cache hunting. We spent countless hours searching for on particular cache and never found it. In fact the ones we did find would not have paid expenses, but we had the satisfaction of finding them.
You guys keep this or another thread going and I'll post from time to time.
Ty

Ty

Oct 12, 2004
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ER,
Thanks for the kind words. I've tried to tell it like it really is, and at the very least exactly as my experiments/research indicated it to be.
Some of you guys probably have more info/news/insight to Karl than me, so I'm also interested in some tales of treasure found by him that I don't know about already.
I'm also interested in Frank Fish treasure tales. I "loaned" my books on Frank to someone and they were never returned.
Ty

larrybass

Jan 12, 2006
Ottawa, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro-Amigo
:) Great to see this post unfolding like it is here boys! ;) Some wonderful input already in these threads and I'm sure many will get to understand and get to know, KvM even more, than they did before. :)

Bjaman, I love your thread on Mahan. Does this guy sound like a real man or what? 8) Thanx for supplying some kool leads there on this dude. I'll be checkin' a few of them out soon enough my friend, you can be sure of that! ;D Seems the older I get Bja , the smarter I get, well at least where it comes to wanting to know about neat old stuff & real people from the past. This Mahan fella, along with our Man, KvM, Penfield and a number of others had SO MUCH to teach us all. :)

You know guys, in one way or another, we have all been trying to do what they were very, very good at, and owe them all everything. Without the generousity of these past writers, we would still, in most cases be stumbling and bumbling around, with maybe one headlight on or whatever. They all gave us SO much. They even taught us how to perservere, how to focus, to be more patient, tactful, observant etc etc etc. We owe them SO much back. :)

How do we repay dead men, some may ask? Well folks, to-day, that is So easy... 8) Yup that's right boys, were doing it, live, right here on this post on this forum which is viewed by millions every year into the future. A post to help carry on some of the work these wonderful treasure writers began. Material and information and ideas about them, to help others with a bent for adventure and a desire to be free, from the iron rule and the industrialists world. A step back perhaps to the days when a man rode by the seat of his pants and did stuff an account of his gut feelin' and stuff. Real men as I've come to know these types as. The more we all put in here, the brighter then the future looks for the next generation or three of possible TH'ers and great men followers. 8)

Not everyone, as most of you know by now, is cut out to be a TH'er. Along the same lines, not everyone can even cut it, when it comes to knowing and proving how to find Treasure. These great men we wish to discuss in here are SO very worthy of our time. The fact that they could even draw us all together here on this forum, is a pretty good testament to just how worthy and deserving they are of our combined further rememberences, stories and reflections.... 8)

Well I'll be! It sure is a great pleasure to meet you here on the TNet Forum Ty! 8) 8) I've spent more than a few hours over the years reading many of your fine articles and always came away with another little pile of new and exciting knowledge. :) You know how to make learning fun, and how to add a little juice to the dryer areas, color where most saw black and white. In short Sir, you are indeed a gifted writer and I am honored to be communicating with you through this great forum! 8)

--Quote--
My partner and good friend passed away a few years back, and that just about ended my cache hunting. We spent countless hours searching for on particular cache and never found it. In fact the ones we did find would not have paid expenses, but we had the satisfaction of finding them.

You guys keep this or another thread going and I'll post from time to time.

Ty
--Quote--

Sorry to hear about your TH'ing buddy Ty, I know how that can pull a lot of incentive or whatever it's called, out of a man. Buddys are getting HARDER and harder to find and con not be replaced, even. Very glad to see that something else got you going again and back into the REAL world of treasure hunting, whatever we all here, interpret that to be...Really glad you found your way over here and I'm looking forward to more of your stuff, anything, anytime, time to time... ;)

OP
OP
bja3908

bja3908

Aug 19, 2006
galveston tx
TY glad you are here I am interest in Frank Fish also I think I might have one of his books somewhere will dig it out later and post anything of interest.

T

TreasureTales

Mr. B: I, too, have read some of your material. Great to have you here with us. Keep on swinging!!! ;)

Ty

Oct 12, 2004
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys are very kind to this old man. I've read this forum for years and posted a few times. Most of my efforts in writing TH'ing articles is to try to simplify the explanation of the features of detectors so most anyone can have some idea of what happens when they turn a control or push a button.
This thread on KvM brought back a lot of memories. Most of them good ones.
His book "Owlhoot Trails" or some title similar is a very good read. I know of two people who make/made (haven't heard from either in a few years now) using some tactics from that book
One, who mostly hunted relics and old homeplaces had this going. Worked with a very well known motel chain. Remodeled rooms by having a crew move everything out of the room, including wallpaper and carpet during the day. He and his partner would be out swinging a detector. They would come in at night and install new wallpaper and carpet in all the rooms the crew did that day. Just repeat the next day until that motel was completed and move to another one. This was done during the fall and winter during some off season lulls and the entire crew would have free rooms and food, plus being paid for their work. Anything found by the partners while hunting was gravy for them.
Another guy made the rounds in the south during the winter months and gathered all the leftover molten solder from radiator repair shops, and other places that did similar work. Worked the mid-west and northwest areas during the spring/summer months. In addition to this, he frequented the antique shops, pawn shops, art gallery's and other places that might have what he might be looking for (most items he searched for were already sold, he just had to deliver or ship them to his customer). He made a small fortune doing this. I've seen several guns, pictures and beautiful antiques that he had when he dropped by for a visit. During lulls he searched for caches, relics and such and found several very nice caches (I saw a couple of those also) and some relics.
This just proves this can be done and those two guys made more doing what they really wanted to do than they were making at the jobs they quit.
Ty

T

TreasureTales

Ty, I've done a little picking (looking for antiques, etc. for buyers) myself and really enjoyed it. And I've known folks who never paid a cent in income tax because everything they did was cash & carry and they had the greatest stories to tell. It's not so easy to do now with Antiques Roadshow and If Walls Could Talk and other TV shows like that. It's still possible, but a little harder I think. Anyhow, keep on posting when you get the time because I know many of us are really happy to hear what you have to say. Regards.

CDMakaKvM

Greenie
Dec 24, 2006
I have a brand new copy of THM#6 & #7. New, never read, wrapped in clear plastic cover. These are the RAM editions. I may have the last unread new copy of THM#6, I don't know. I also have used copies that I still go back and reread. I also have an original copy of 'Sudden Wealth', but it's slightly used. I may sell the new THM#6 & #7 someday, but not now, I don't guess.

OP
OP
bja3908

bja3908

Aug 19, 2006
galveston tx
Started reading THM 7 last night do not know how many times I have read it over the years but still find 6&7 very entertaining. And full of good info.I think a lot of times when KVM talks about this guy finding this or that he is talking about hiself.
Anyone know what happened to his research files.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread