Need a nice digging tool.

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Hi Cinder,
There are several out there to choose from. I have what's called a "gator" which is a spade with jagged sides that cuts through roots and grass really well. In fact, I had to relinquish it to my hubby for his greenhouse activities so he could "slice" apart the asparagus ferns to divide them. Available at any/most MD outlets. Others on this site have their own favorites, which I'm sure they'll chime in with.

Welcome! -Noodle

Diggerbarns

Oct 30, 2007
I carry a hand held digger,but my main weapon is a trentching/drainage shovel.Its a narrow super stiff shovel that can cut a plug nice and neat.Plus I use my foot to flip the plug over,so I can do it with one hand.

CanUDigIt

Oct 1, 2007
Chester County, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Hi Cinder,
I am kind of new but got this at one of the two big home improvement stores, I think the one that starts with "L". It is about $15 and has worked great for me. Hope it helps!

Attachments

• PB_7_1_.jpg
    PB_7_1_.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 412

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
I use a 3 foot shovel when tearing up the area I'm digging isnt a problem. When I'm in an area that I dont want to destroy I simply use a pocket knife. Most stuff I find is only a couple of inches down any ways.

MangoKnees

Nov 22, 2007
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm l l
I found my first gold ring with one just like it from Tru-Value Hardware. It was my third hunt and it's first dig outing.

Works Great
Mango

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
Lesche for me. Absolute neccesity around here to pry up hard clay and rocks. I have leaned on it with both hands to pry with. Three years of abuse and still ticking. Before the Lesche I went through several that were ok but when I needed some real force they bent or broke.

IndianaSmith

Jul 21, 2007
I use the same one pictured (the True-Temper) & it's a well-built tool, I've "leaned on it" many times. Got mine at Lowes for $13.

Smitty

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
Lesche hand digger for me...I did see some of those 3 foot shovel type diggers that you can just press your foot on and they look like they would save on the back..but not sure the places I go they would be acceptable....but whatever you buy make sure it is quality... Heard a lot of people recommending the Fiskars hand tool big grab or big something...then a few months later started to hear the handle area was weak and quite a few said they were breaking in handle area..good luck with your choice.. :)

Pepper2004

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2007
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Whites M6, Vibra-Probe 570, Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 202, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites MXT, 2 Bullseye11
Hi Cinder, I found a hand trowel at Lowe's for about ten bucks. It has serrated sides that cut right through that grass and soil. I also use a long screwdriver and a 3 foot shovel. I find I use the hand trowel and the screwdriver the most.

HH,
Pepper

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love camping shovels for digging

HH
-GC

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the same digger from Lowes that CanUdigIt and IndianaSmith uses. It was only 13 bucks, which was not bad... and I used a file yesterday to sharpen the already sharp (non-serrated) side to a razer sharp edge. The serrated side is essential also! It's pretty much amazing, and the point of it is great for twisting, cutting, and breaking through problem roots! I also started using some smaller shovels for different terrains... it works great for me thus far, and I've been using it for a little over 4 months now! :)

Bran <><

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions