Need advice on a DD coil.

Silverseeker

Nov 25, 2004
Indian Wells Valley, CA
Hi all, I have been hunting for years with my Di Pro (yes old but trusted) and my M6. I love both machines and do 90% of my hunts with the 5.3" coil. I've been cleaning out my old desert sights for so many years that I'm running out of targets as well as sights. So here's my question. Will a 4x6 DD coil be worth the expense and potentially make all my old sights productive again?

My gut feeling tells me I would be disappointed, as I'm pretty good with the 5.3 in trashy areas.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've used the 4X6 and the 5.3 alot on my MXT. The 4X6 is surgical in heavy trash, but lacks depth and coverage compared to pretty much any larger coil. From what you've described, I'd think you are at the point in your well hunted sites to need a deeper coil. I'd be more inclined to use the 6X10DD, the 10" D2, the 950, or the 12 inch concentric listening for the faint deep signals that the smaller coils would miss. Not knowing any more that what you've posted, the one exception I'd consider concerning the 4X6 is if you really need it to separate shallow goodies masked by trash still in the ground.
luvsdux

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there anyway you can borrow the 4x6 DD coil to try it and see if it works for you?

OP
OP
S

Silverseeker

Nov 25, 2004
Indian Wells Valley, CA
Good point. I forgot to say what kind of sites I hunt. I mainly hunt deserted and very junky ghost towns, mining camps, train stops, and stage stops. These are my favorite because almost everything I dig is old.

Most coins out here can be found rather shallow (3 to 6 inches). All these sites are very junky with rusted iron, nails, and cans. I choose the 5.3 due to its ability to find coins in these conditions. I've been really tempted to try the DD coils for potential improvement.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
From what you're describing I'd think the only way the 4X6 would help is if you're encountering enough trash that the 5.3 can't handle it. One thing I'll mention over my post above after reading your response is the 4X6 will definitely be a bit deeper on iron artifacts larger than coins. Unless the area is very heavily mineralized, I don't see the DD configuration offering any noticeable improvement. However, I've found the 6X10 DD to be pretty useable in average trashy areas and it'll cover more ground and get more depth. In fact, that's my most "go to" coil over the last several years.
luvsdux

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread