The Indian Head Penny - $1,000!

Dan Hughes

Aug 26, 2008
Champaign, IL
Detector(s) used
Several

One of the first "old" coins many of us find when we begin metal detecting is the Indian head penny.

It was the second "small" cent, after the Flying Eagle cent. Do you know why the Flying Eagle cent, which preceded the Indian head penny, lasted just three years?

Who was used as a model for the Indian on the penny?

And which Indian head penny is worth a thousand dollars, even in not-so-great condition?

These questions and more are all answered in this week's show.
Listen at In the Corner with Dan Hughes.

(By the way, if you've never listened to any of these shows, they are all pretty short - this one clocks in at about four minutes. And they include more solid information than you'll find in a half-hour "reality" show.)

Last edited:

Uncle Jeff

May 28, 2013
Tampa, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer AT -
TEKNETICS EUROTEK PRO -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find fault in his commentary.. he states that from 1864 till 1962 the compistion was changed to 95 percent copper and 5 percent tin and zinc in all except the 1943 steel pennies. he has forgotten about the 1944 bronze pennies I have one :)

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love IH cents. Many are overlooked. I don't have 1877, but 1876 and 1878 can be valuable.
Peace

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting stuff Dan. I just listened to a few and book marked your site.
Great job! :thumbsup:
-MM-

OP
OP
Dan Hughes

Dan Hughes

Aug 26, 2008
Champaign, IL
Detector(s) used
Several
I find fault in his commentary.. he states that from 1864 till 1962 the compistion was changed to 95 percent copper and 5 percent tin and zinc in all except the 1943 steel pennies. he has forgotten about the 1944 bronze pennies I have one :)

Hi Uncle Jeff!

Yes, you're right! How could I have forgotten World War II?

From 1944 through 1946, melted cartridge cases were used to make pennies, and they did look different. Chemically, the only difference was that tin was not used in these coins. The weight was the same as always (3.11 grams).

For the 1944-1946 pennies, the composition was .950 copper and .050 zinc.

In all other years, the composition was .950 copper, .050 tin and zinc. So as you said, there was indeed a chemical difference. No tin in the cartridge years!

Thanks for keeping me on my toes!

---Dan

Last edited:

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To your question who was used as a model for the Indian head penny?- its actually the head of Liberty wearing a feather head dress of a Native American.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread