All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Here is but one example....

AT Gold

If you are looking for a machine that does it all, and does it the best, for less then $500... It's not out there. Nobody has the one size fits all for cheap.

It's like asking for a vehicle that will haul the soccer team, carry two tons of gravel and then look good on prom night as a family limo for 10K. Just not out there.

When you go for a machine that will handle all conditions everywhere, you will be giving up something from everything and getting a machine that works somewhere in the middle... if that makes any sense.

Look at Craig's list for used equipment that fits in your price range. You will find some good deals, but maybe not the exact machine you want. It will get you started in the hobby. As you find gold rings, use the money to upgrade.

Good luck and happy hunting.

Jesse Lermon

Greenie
Jan 24, 2013
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab Ctx3030,Minelab E trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He is right the only water proof and land machine in that range is garrett at pro its a great detector for the price and easy to learn

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minelab 3030 would work, but at $2500 it is out of the range you want to spend by a couple dollars.

It is like saying I want a good rod and reel setup for both fresh And salt water for under $10.00...

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With that budget, I think you'd be better off getting a couple of used machines. Three people with one machine is just asking for trouble! Maybe find a good used White's Spectrum or XLT and a PI type water machine. White's also makes some good ones of those as well as Garrett.

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
White’s TDI Beach Hunter PI / Minelab Excalibur 1000 / White's MX Sport / White’s XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cudamark said:
With that budget, I think you'd be better off getting a couple of used machines. Three people with one machine is just asking for trouble! Maybe find a good used White's Spectrum or XLT and a PI type water machine. White's also makes some good ones of those as well as Garrett.

I use the Whites XLT Spectrum. I really enjoy the programmability and have made custom programs for three different regions of the country. Some people think it's too confusing. They prefer a turn on and go machine. Well the XLT has turn on and go programming that works as well as the competition, but also allows individual personal adjustments. I would not enjoy the hobby anywhere near as much with any other machine. My water machine is a Minelab Excalibur. I think most people would agree that is a respectable combination. Good luck finding your machine, above all have fun! :)

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
TH .. Was wrong in saying if you don't spend $2500.00 on a detector you don't get a good one.......... I have been in this for 40 years and most of my detectors never cost over $600.00 used.........And i only paid $500.00 for my new AT Pro......And it will go as deep as the high priced Minelab's ....................And i would bet you a dime to a dollar that i have found as much with with my detectors .........As these guys that go around trying to say those high priced detectors are better..........They all do the same thing find metal.......You can find a good used water detector at a dealer or on ebay...... Then get a good used land detector.... Tesoro makes some great detectors at good prices.. So does White ,Garrett , Fisher & Tek.....

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
White’s TDI Beach Hunter PI / Minelab Excalibur 1000 / White's MX Sport / White’s XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The XLT I bought used and it's the only land detector I'll ever need. The idea of a used "water" machine worried me. Since I could only save a couple of hundred with a used one, I took the plunge.... Pun intended...and bought new. HH

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Look on the classifieds here... maybe some of our fine dealers here have a used one just waiten for a my owner/home

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TH .. Was wrong in saying if you don't spend $2500.00 on a detector you don't get a good one.......... I have been in this for 40 years and most of my detectors never cost over $600.00 used.........And i only paid $500.00 for my new AT Pro......And it will go as deep as the high priced Minelab's ....................And i would bet you a dime to a dollar that i have found as much with with my detectors .........As these guys that go around trying to say those high priced detectors are better..........They all do the same thing find metal.......You can find a good used water detector at a dealer or on ebay...... Then get a good used land detector.... Tesoro makes some great detectors at good prices.. So does White ,Garrett , Fisher & Tek.....

Keppy, I never said he needed to spend $2500, heck my post was making fun of the price of the CTX3030... What I was trying to say is it is hard to get a good land and water detector new for under $500, especially one that works well in saltwater environment.. Dont need to get into a detector war, but using my excal with the wot coil or sef 12x15 butterfly and in reverse descrim I am hitting targets well over 15 inches....

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Keppy, I never said he needed to spend $2500, heck my post was making fun of the price of the CTX3030... What I was trying to say is it is hard to get a good land and water detector new for under $500, especially one that works well in saltwater environment.. Dont need to get into a detector war, but using my excal with the wot coil or sef 12x15 butterfly and in reverse descrim I am hitting targets well over 15 inches....
OK .TH ..Sorry i did not understand..

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK .TH ..Sorry i did not understand..

Not your fault keppy, obviously I wasn't clear in my post so fault is mine....

OP
OP
F

fireman803

Greenie
Jan 31, 2013
Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all for sharing your knowledge & experience w/ me. Still unsure which way to go. I usually don't like to buy used(been burnt too many times), maybe expand the budget some . I noticed at kellyco that they have some bogo deals that might make it possible to get 2 detectors for not much more $. One for water one for land. But limited on choices for the deal. If anyone has any suggestions on which two out of what they are offering I would appreciate your thoughts. After looking last night I was possibly thinking. For land Garrett Ace 250,350 or At pro & for water they offer a deal on Viper Trident or Cobra land beach & water....Any thoughts Thanks in advance.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you all for sharing your knowledge & experience w/ me. Still unsure which way to go. I usually don't like to buy used(been burnt too many times), maybe expand the budget some . I noticed at kellyco that they have some bogo deals that might make it possible to get 2 detectors for not much more $. One for water one for land. But limited on choices for the deal. If anyone has any suggestions on which two out of what they are offering I would appreciate your thoughts. After looking last night I was possibly thinking. For land Garrett Ace 250,350 or At pro & for water they offer a deal on Viper Trident or Cobra land beach & water....Any thoughts Thanks in advance.

Here is the "Readers Digest" version: Single frequency "VLF" (very low frequency) metal detectors do not work at their peak performance in wet saltwater sand or in saltwater. They work GREAT in freshwater, dry sand, dirt and mud.

For a saltwater beach, you really need a Multi-frequency VLF metal detector (starting around $1,000.00), or a “PI” (Pulse Induction) machine (starting at $600.00).
Star with a DRY sand machine, and a Good Sand Scoop!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can understand your apprehension for buying a used machine from someone you don't know but there are many detector dealers on here the have great reputations for price, service, and information. I'm sure most of them will have some used machines that will come with some sort of warrantee. Sounds like you have the same problem I've had from time to time.........deciding to decide.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
There is a lot of dealers here on tnet........ that could give you a deal on a good used detector.....

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Looking to get into metal detecting with my 2 teenage sons.I am new to this and after research I am more confused than ever. I would like a detector I could use on land & in water. We live in Maryland. We would like to use in salt water and on land. Looking to not go over , or much over $500. Any help would be appreciated

Fireman, you don't say whether you intend to submerge (ie.: snorkel, dive, etc... ) with your machine. Because all land machines can still be used for beach hunting (if that's what you meant by "water hunting"). You can even submerge the coil in the water too (as they are all waterproof), for like if you're working in the ebbing surf. The only time you need a 100% waterproof detector is for situations where you're either planning on submerging the machine all the way to the box (snorkeling or diving), or if you're hunting where you fear the risks of getting slapped by waves. Like for persons who hunt during storm erosion, right in the middle of howling wind and waves, a water-proof machine is good for that too (saves time having to wrap in plastic).

But for just routine beach-side and water-side hunting, you do not need a submergable waterproof machine, unless you intend to go all the way in, or get totally wet, etc....

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I noticed at kellyco that they have some bogo deals that might make it possible to get 2 detectors for not much more $. One for water one for land. .

SPOILER ALERT:

When you BOGO detectors you get what you pay for. REALLY. How do I know you might ask...

Been there done that. I once made a decision based on a BOGO offer and the only thing I discovered was how crappy the Chinese could make a metal detector.

Buy something you will keep and use for a long time. Here on TN there is a forum for the battle of the 'tectors. This -vs- That. Study there, learn about the future machine you have your eyes on, and then buy it because it has the features you want in a metal detector, for the price you can afford.

You can find some great deals on CL, or even here on TN. Nothing wrong with a used machine as long as it was properly cared for.

Once you start trading in gold for cash, then you can get that 'dream machine'.

Here is a photo of my Trident Viper with only very limited use. I then spent the money on the Sand Shark and have never regretted it. (the Sand Shark that is, I've got to much pride to list owning the Trident Viper in my profile)

Viper crap.jpg

Last edited:

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's my opinion. If a detector runs off a 9 volt battery, don't buy it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread