Need advice on a starter metal detector

Denarius

May 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As the title says I'm looking for something that will cover many conditions. (dry sand, wet sand, and in the water, preferably waterproof) Ok I know that it would be a compromise and maybe too tall an order but I want something to get started with in the sport. Something that will let me try different stuff until I decide what I like. Then I can focus on a machine that does what I want. It could also serve as a backup when I get what I want. I immagine that a PI machine would be better but I don't know much. Cost, of course is a factor.
Any ideas? Links are welcome too.
Thanks

Upvote 0

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
First we need to know saltwater or freshwater, and generally where you live-for the mineralization of the soils.

Captain PopTop

May 3, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II & Garret. AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With winter and the holidays on the way now is the time to buy, look on here in the forum classified Section and buy a used excalibur 800 or 1000, that would be my advice

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
D

Denarius

May 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First we need to know saltwater or freshwater, and generally where you live-for the mineralization of the soils.

Preferably both but most likely salt water. I can't say location re mineralization as I get around a lot.

Can the sand shark be broken down for travel? How is it on dry sand? I want to start with one machine and decide from there.

Last edited:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Given the conditions you're wanting to hunt, no cheap options really exist unless you can find a good deal on a used machine. Having said that, don't buy blind, contact a local hunting club, explain your position and ask if it's possible to drop in on one of their meetings. They'll nearly always be glad to welcome you. In a short time you'll have a lot more knowledge as to the differences and limits of a wide variety of machines and you'll be afforded the opportunity try many of them before you buy. Right out of the gate you'll want a machine that you are comfortable with and that you have confidence in and a club is a great place to discover these things, even if you don't join.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A PI in the dry sand..... thats not a great idea. Even Terry with his SS advertisements wont recommend that. Personally.... a salt waterproof disc machine should be your first choice not know where you are hunting or if you will even like it. Put out the money.... unlike dirt machines water machines IF USED will pay for theirselves. Next consider you need a scoop.... mo money. Once it pays for its self.... and you get some experience .... you may or may not want a PI in your area. You have to learn where they can and cant be used. You just cant go wrong with a disc machine. Even if you dislike it after awhile these machines hold a pretty good value.

Dew

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Why he said dont go with a PI on dry ground is they dont discriminate and they go very deep. If on a trashy area, you will go crazy. It will wear you out. They do have their place though. I agree with finding a club and asking questions, but if you are way inland, they might not help much, but you never know.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A PI in the dry sand..... thats not a great idea. Even Terry with his SS advertisements wont recommend that. Personally.... a salt waterproof disc machine should be your first choice not know where you are hunting or if you will even like it. Put out the money.... unlike dirt machines water machines IF USED will pay for theirselves. Next consider you need a scoop.... mo money. Once it pays for its self.... and you get some experience .... you may or may not want a PI in your area. You have to learn where they can and cant be used. You just cant go wrong with a disc machine. Even if you dislike it after awhile these machines hold a pretty good value.

Dew

Good Post Dew. A PI machine in the dry sand or any other trash filled area is going to be overwhelming.. digging all iron, bread bag ties, paper clips, bottle caps, rivets, BB's, any and all metal, will tire you out and slow you down. In the water, or wet sand there is 1/3 of the garbage, so there it is King. Lot's of used Minelab Sovereign's around!

Attachments

• hitr.jpg
    hitr.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 203
Last edited:

Les West Central Fl

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Aquasound, Excal 2, Excal (NY), Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't go for the cheapest thing you can find, they usually end up in a closet never to be used again. Save your money until you find a good quality machine that will serve your purpose and that way you will only spend once.

Burldrives

Sep 26, 2011
St Petersburg Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur ll
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
some things to consider , your age and stamina. you will hear from some that a PI is best they want to dig everything and deep. when you meet them they are a 30 year old roofer with popeye arms ( not me lol )

shop around salt water is tough on electronics most warrenties are not tranferable

bigger is not always better , some large dealers put together packeges with hundreds of $ of junk accesories that you will never use , some smaller dealers will include a sand scoop for the same price.

and conisider your purpose , weather you are just out to enjoy time on the beach or will be disapointed if you put in a lot of time and not find many items of value . you are in the right place to find the answers a lot of very knowlegable people here

OP
OP
D

Denarius

May 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would it be better to buy two machines? What is a disc machine?
So the problem with a PI in dry sand is it finds too much stuff? I didn't think of that angle.
I wanted to get a cheap machine at first to get it by my wife. If I find stuff I can justify buying something better. My motivation is the thrill of the hunt. Plus the kids (4 and 7, boys) had a blast looking for treasure.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other

LuckyThirteen08

Sep 17, 2012
Grundy VA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Teknetics Delta 4000,Teknetics Omega 8000,Teknetics Gamma 6000,Minelab Pro-Find 25 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Given the conditions you're wanting to hunt, no cheap options really exist unless you can find a good deal on a used machine. Having said that, don't buy blind, contact a local hunting club, explain your position and ask if it's possible to drop in on one of their meetings. They'll nearly always be glad to welcome you. In a short time you'll have a lot more knowledge as to the differences and limits of a wide variety of machines and you'll be afforded the opportunity try many of them before you buy. Right out of the gate you'll want a machine that you are comfortable with and that you have confidence in and a club is a great place to discover these things, even if you don't join.

This is probably the best answer i have ever seen to the "What detector should i get as a beginner" question. Some good advice,bigscoop is giving you diamonds here!

jim/wpb

Apr 2, 2008
West Palm Beach
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT, F75SE, Excalibur, Whites Dual Field, Aqua Sound
Primary Interest:
My advice would be to limit yourself to dry/wet sand to get started. To get the hang of it and see if you're cut out for it physically and mentally, just buy a Garrett Ace 250. They are a little over $200, they discriminate, they are indestructible and you can sell it quickly for close to purchase price as you move up to broader interests. This is a great little detector.

I still have 2 of them that my tween girls use. They really clean a beach with these and both have found numerous gold. BTW our use is Salt Water Beaches.

OP
OP
D

Denarius

May 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Ace 250 is certainly in my price range. I could definitely get it by my wife. Is it good?
Is there a decent salt water machine in a reasonable price range like the Ace 250?

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would it be better to buy two machines? What is a disc machine?
So the problem with a PI in dry sand is it finds too much stuff? I didn't think of that angle.
I wanted to get a cheap machine at first to get it by my wife. If I find stuff I can justify buying something better. My motivation is the thrill of the hunt. Plus the kids (4 and 7, boys) had a blast looking for treasure.
Its not that a PI finds too much, its you cant tell the difference between iron and other targets with a PI. To a new user, everything would sound the same. In the water there is a lot less junk.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Ace 250 is certainly in my price range. I could definitely get it by my wife. Is it good?
Is there a decent salt water machine in a reasonable price range like the Ace 250?
The Ace 250 will be fine for dry sand hunting. To handle wet sand and saltwater you will have to spend at least 500 and up for a new detector. A water detector will pay for it self in finds. Research some detectors and throw some questions back at us about ones your interested in. Kellyco is a good site to research detectors. They give a good overview of what each detector is designed for.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Denarius

May 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, now I'm looking at the Sand Shark. What are the pros and cons? What are the other offers in that price range? Would that be a good combo with the Ace 250? I'm a water kind of guy, at least the swimming part, so I imagine I would like the water searching. I certainly had fun with my vibra tec, limited tho it is.

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
I suggest buying 6 or 8 of them and then use just the one you like the best.

OR, you could use your fingers to do what is called research on this site.

This site and others are loaded with information that would be very useful for first time buyers.

Research, research, research.

I wish I could, but I can't just hand you the the keys to life if you can't read.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread