Detector(s) used
Whites Mxt Pro + Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
im currently building two 2 inch ABS sluices. one is a crashbox and the other is a Over/Under flaired sluice. i have some Gold Hog matting and some Veranda carpet and some Vortex mat that im going to use in those sluices for comparison run with different setups. i also came across the same problem you are looking at. soooooooo i made a peice of 1/4 inch ABS plastic to hold down the front of the matting.i cut a "rabbit" notch in the back of the peice to hold down the matting and to also make sure the flow of water/material dont disrupt the flow as it goes across it,so the front side of this is tapered gently upwards.and it is bolted down and has counter sunk holes. the holddowns and the sides im makeing holddowns that swing down with the flow of the water(kinda like a oar but aiming down into the mat,and there will be several of them).ill try to post some pictures of it when i get a little further along. ive had a hard time trying to post pictures on this site because im so darn dumb!!:)

Last edited:

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
and on another note, on Docs site he shows a link to where to get the Gorilla tape and Gorilla super glue. and its over on Amazon.com but they have 35 yards of tape...............thats a lot of tape for one person,so i did a search for my local to buy it and found that Advance Auto supply has it and has smaller lenghts of it. for me, that made a difference and bought it. ill never use 35 yards in my lifetime.i still have a roll of silver duct tape hanging in my shop for many years!its probly dried up by now, ya think??:)

goldhog

May 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an older keene 2" dredge with a crash box. Just wanted to see if anyone had any pictures or advice on how to secure the UR mat in the crash/header box. I will be using UR and Scrubber mats. Thanks for your help.

Here is one way.
Take a piece of 1" x 1" x 1/8" (or thinner if needed) angle that you can buy at Lowes or Home Depot.
We also found 1.5" which we now use on our Monster and Viper.
SLIGHTLY bend the upper rail. This will hold it tight against the the back or top of your box so water does not get under the mat.
Drill holes and tighten down with 1/4" bolts and wing nuts.
Cut holes in mats that are bigger and allow bolts to slide through EASY.
The 1.5" is MUCH easier to use, but very hard to find.
Doc
angle.jpg

OP
OP
matrix master DBA

matrix master DBA

Jan 29, 2008
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was at home depot when I got this message. Picked up the angle and it works great! Thanks Doc.
Steve

OP
OP
matrix master DBA

matrix master DBA

Jan 29, 2008
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the advice russau.. got the mats cut and installed today.. looks good. Can't wait to try them out. Supposed to have 9 inches of snow tomorrow. .

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
what Doc replied with was basically what i did except i used the ABS plastic. it looks like the forcasted snow for the mid-west didnt appear ontime as expected! the snow is running later,it started snowing heavy about 5AM and will get heavier as the day goes and its supposed to snow most of the day!so youll have a few hours if you really want to get out!:)

Last edited:

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here is one way.
Take a piece of 1" x 1" x 1/8" (or thinner if needed) angle that you can buy at Lowes or Home Depot.
SLIGHTLY bend the upper rail. This will hold it tight against the the back or top of your box so water does not get under the mat.
Doc
View attachment 924717
That is exactly what I was going to say. I watched some of Doc's videos last night, and that is what he said to use.

IdahoJake

Oct 9, 2013
Clarkston, WA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is one way.
Doc
View attachment 924717

This is basically what I did in my homemade highbanker. Works great. I notched the mat under the crash box and have bolts and wing nuts that secure the metal strip that I use to hold down the matting.

I simply loosen the wing nuts to allow the metal strip to lift. Then I slide out the entire mat. After cleaning it, I lift the metal strip and slide the mat back into place, lining up the notches with the bolts. Works great for me. I show how I did it in my highbanker video. You can see it best at the 12:30 mark in the video. Simple set up: 2 nuts, 2 bolts, 1 piece of aluminum stock cut to size, and 2 one inch notches in the mat to allow it to slide into position between the bolts and under the strip.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread