Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey mjm579, remember tamrock said on your snake, about seeing those small holes on the back, they're there to allow gases to escape when soldering. I don't know if they would be there, if brass. :dontknow:
Looking at the front, I say no. Looking at the back, :icon_scratch:

You need to get these things tested! When they come back gold,
go to the shop where you been getting them, tell them you want every "brass" pin they got, with holes in the back of them!
And you need a deal on them! :laughing7:

OP
OP
mjm579

mjm579

Jan 6, 2013
Montgomery County, PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey mjm579, remember tamrock said on your snake, about seeing those small holes on the back, they're there to allow gases to escape when soldering. I don't know if they would be there, if brass. :dontknow:
Looking at the front, I say no. Looking at the back, :icon_scratch:

You need to get these things tested! When they come back gold,
go to the shop where you been getting them, tell them you want every "brass" pin they got, with holes in the back of them!
And you need a deal on them! :laughing7:

The holes in the back are exactly why I bought it. This piece is also hollow. Plus it is a feather...LOVE feathers!!! Again, nothing to lose for $2.50.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mjm579,

I think this is a goldfilled or rolled gold piece. It would be a thin gold layer over a base metal, it is not the same as goldplate. Many older pocket and wrist watch cases are made of the same stuff. Please forgive me on my point of holes in hollow jewelry as a sign for gold, there are a few exceptions and the topic of jewelry is vast. Hit the library and check out all the books you can on vintage jewelry, jewelry making techniques and famous makers. This will turn you in to a true spotter of fine and rare things. Take your time and check out the cases very slowly. Alway look for the best and settle only for just under that. If the store you find nothing, keep your money and go with nothing. You'll find so much more wonderful things this way. I would not like to see you end up with just stuff like a hoarder, but be know as that lucky little lady who just has a knack for finding rare and beautiful things. The truth will be you did your home work. Two fifty for the feather is a good deal.

Best Regards,
GB

OP
OP
mjm579

mjm579

Jan 6, 2013
Montgomery County, PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks tamrock. I'll have to hit the library Monday. It is a shame how easy we forget the LIBRARY when GOOGLE is so close at hand.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So true, One other thing to do and I'm sure you'll have a few places in your area is go and visit these antique estate jewelry stores. Look over the marvelous pieces they will have in a place like that. You'll see items with $1000. plus price tags. I do that for enjoyment and it helps me understand more on fine jewelry. Your finding some cool things so far and not blowing allot. But when I see somthing worth $500. and I have it in front of me for $150. Thats when knowledge is needed. I've pulled the trigger on those things and made a cool 4-5 hundred bucks with ease. My little darling is a PA girl, up from around Erie. On trips back that way I think those tolls are just a no good fussy deal. A little extra comes in handy when you have them thing to deal with.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I have seen similar things that are gold plated silver. The catch on the back is made to last a long time. Might be worth a lot more than you think. Beautiful piece.

war-digs-it

Feb 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is time for you to buy a test kit and learn how to use it with known gold and silver items against known plated and costume pieces. You will save yourself time and make more money knowing what you have. There will always be interesting pieces that need more input and knowledge that can be provided through this forum...you do find nice items!!! Asking with pictures if an item is gold is almost useless in a seller/buyer/refinery point of view.

It is either gold/silver/other precious metal in composition or it is a plated base metal. I am not about to try and sell an item with a listing of "I think it's gold" or selling a known gold piece as "someone told me this is gold"
Sell the piece as "tested to 14k solid yellow gold" etc. and command high dollar for your hard work!

OP
OP
mjm579

mjm579

Jan 6, 2013
Montgomery County, PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So true, One other thing to do and I'm sure you'll have a few places in your area is go and visit these antique estate jewelry stores. Look over the marvelous pieces they will have in a place like that. You'll see items with $1000. plus price tags. I do that for enjoyment and it helps me understand more on fine jewelry. Your finding some cool things so far and not blowing allot. But when I see somthing worth $500. and I have it in front of me for $150. Thats when knowledge is needed. I've pulled the trigger on those things and made a cool 4-5 hundred bucks with ease. My little darling is a PA girl, up from around Erie. On trips back that way I think those tolls are just a no good fussy deal. A little extra comes in handy when you have them thing to deal with.

My parents live near Fayetteville antique mall. I love that place. I'm always fascinated and so easily sidetracked though. We have numerous antique malls in the area here, but like most things close to Philly...they demand a higher dollar....as you mentioned, even the roads are expensive here!

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In 1906 the Marking Acting for Jewelry was established... By "law" every precious metal must be marked with its metal purity. So the first thing to look at is the piece pre- 1906 or is it from another country? If you can determine its made after 1906 in America its very likely its costume jewelry if not marked. Gold is a rare valuable metal so large gold items are very rare. The only thing is you never know so... You really need an acid kit if your going to do this

Keep @ it and HH !!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In 1906 the Marking Acting for Jewelry was established... By "law" every precious metal must be marked with its metal purity. So the first thing to look at is the piece pre- 1906 or is it from another country? If you can determine its made after 1906 in America its very likely its costume jewelry if not marked. Gold is a rare valuable metal so large gold items are very rare. The only thing is you never know so... You really need an acid kit if your going to do this

Keep @ it and HH !!
I agree she needs an acid test kit. However I respectfully disagree on your comment about the National stamping act of 1906.
The act only requires that the stamps that are put on precious metal jewelry actually meet the minimum standard purity of the quality mark itself. There is no law in the U.S. that you have to mark jewelry for content. Only that the jewelry that is marked, is up to par on those marks. Their are many pieces of gold (and silver) that are unmarked.

Last edited:

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree she needs an acid test kit. However I respectfully disagree on your comment about the National stamping act of 1906.
The act only requires that the stamps that are put on precious metal jewelry actually meet the minimum standard purity of the quality mark itself. There is no law in the U.S. that you have to mark jewelry for content. Only that the jewelry that is marked, is up to par on those marks. Their are many pieces of gold (and silver) that are unmarked.

I third it. For someone who buys so much jewelry, the right tools are critical.

OP
OP
mjm579

mjm579

Jan 6, 2013
Montgomery County, PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm working on finding a reputable place to buy a gold testing kit...any eBay kits you would all recommend?

geo4472

Feb 19, 2007
paterson nj
Detector(s) used
discovery 2000 , ace 250 & x-terra 50
plated or low karat around (10k) higher karat gold doesnt oxidze and get black color on it

war-digs-it

Feb 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm working on finding a reputable place to buy a gold testing kit...any eBay kits you would all recommend?
I have bought a number from this seller...I look no-where else.
goldtestempireebay

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
IMO, it is gold plated or possibly RGP.

I use gold's reflectivity as a "sight only" method for spotting gold.

The item pictured by the OP has a mirror or shiny reflection. I find that gold has a muted or dull shine. The way the light reflects off of it is unique. You can read a bit more about it below:

What Gives Gold that Mellow Glow?

I have seen real gold pieces that were tarnished or very dark in color but never the opposite.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread