Need coin expert! Pulled from the Gulf, old silver.

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Other
First here is the coin...then the story.

DSC_0059.JPG DSC_0060.JPG DSC_0063.JPG DSC_0064.JPG

So I dug this up over a week ago at my antique spot. I thought is was a fried zincoln so I threw a bunch of them in vinegar and put it outside. Forgot about it until today. I brought the cup in and this is what I found (obviously the dime was not in there, I put that in for size reference:

IMG_0483.JPG IMG_0484.JPG

So I'm thinking this is remarkably intact and rather odd. I bust out the oxidation test and put the all the coins from the test and the dime is a control, lots of bubbles on the unknown coin:

IMG_0485.JPG

Okay, I'm convinced enough that it is silver to move on the acid test. I bring the zincolns as controls, control first:

IMG_0490.JPG IMG_0487.JPG IMG_0486.JPG IMG_0492.JPG

Unknown coin second:

IMG_0494.JPG IMG_0493.JPG IMG_0495.JPG

I snap a couple pictures to document and then rapidly pull it out as silver is starting to accumulate on the top, this is what it looks like back in the house (minus the control which completely disintegrated):

IMG_0496.JPG

I cleaned it up as best I could back in the oxidation-reduction pan but I was afraid to keep cleaning because I was losing the coin. Got the wife to take the hi-res pics that are first posted. Anybody know what it could be? I realize there are no markings on it. Thanks for looking and thanks for any helpful comments. Click on the hi-res pictures to enlarge and then magnify for a better look.

PS: If anybody calls this an Aluminum fire nugget they have lost their mind.
PPS: I went through other finds from that area that I thought were zincolns and have them soaking in vinegar now. Will leave them for a week.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Crispin

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
IMG_0436 - Copy.JPG This the coin in the raw without any cleaning. I know it is not a great picture but I thought it was zincoln:

Upvote 0

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I know very little about silver/copper blends used for planchets, but maybe look for for old coins known for a heavy copper percentage silver. That may explain the pitting. Also check the weight and diameter and compare. Good luck

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Crispin

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I know very little about silver/copper blends used for planchets, but maybe look for for old coins known for a heavy copper percentage silver. That may explain the pitting. Also check the weight and diameter and compare. Good luck

Thanks for the suggestions. It looks like both mercury and pre-65 rosevelt dimes were both 90% silver and 10% copper. The diameter of all dimes then and current is 17.91mm. I will check it when I get home. If it is more then that then it must be something else. I'm not sure how much weight will help because I've lost so much of the coin.

What is the relationship between the copper and the pitting? Did the copper cause the pitting or is it that the copper distengrated and the silver was left behind?

Thanks for looking.

Upvote 0

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry bud I don't know what it is. 'Toasted"by galvanic action my best guess.
You had me laughing so hard at "fire nugget" = lost mind the dogs are barking like I lost mine. Oooh wait, careful where you step now....it's here somewhere.

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
PS: If anybody calls this an Aluminum fire nugget they have lost their mind.
This time I wont argue with you. Nice find. I dont know what causes the pitting on .925 silver coins. Maybe its the copper like you suggested. Spanish Reales caught in wave action will wear very thin.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread