Need equipment advice

MrBling

Aug 12, 2008
North Florida
Detector(s) used
White's Surfmaster PI/Garrett Ace 250
I'm looking to gear up within the next few weeks for my first foray into water hunting.
I'll be hunting in Florida and other warm weather areas from mid-spring to mid-fall
Can anyone offer advice on wetsuits?
Do I need one? If so, which style and thickness?
What type of footwear should I use?
What about those blow up life jackets that divers use-does anyone use them?
Should I have a dive knife for possible entanglements?
Any and all advice would be appreciated
Thanks,
Bling

Upvote 0

chipveres

Jul 9, 2007
Hollywood, Florida
MrBling:

I think the first thing I need to know to offer sensible advise is: How deep do you intend to go? Up to your knees? To your waist? Head-high with snorkel gear? Using SCUBA? Even this small change in depth makes a world of difference in gear.

Good luck & Happy Hunting.

Chip V.

OP
OP
MrBling

MrBling

Aug 12, 2008
North Florida
Detector(s) used
You're right, I should have specified that.
For the first season at least, I plan to simply wade up to chest deep

chipveres

Jul 9, 2007
Hollywood, Florida
Okay here goes nothing:

Instead of a wet suit, you might get the "dive skin" you wear under a wet suit. I think even the thinnest wet suit will be too hot out of the water. Cheaper is a pair of jeans and a long-sleeve white cotton shirt from Salvation Army.

For foot gear, get the dive booties SCUBA divers use. The little part that comes up your leg makes a big difference in keeping out sand. Wear a thin pair of nylon socks under the boots. You will *almost* not get sand in your toes.

As to the flotation vest, it depends on your body build. I'm a big fat guy, so it takes twelve pounds of lead to sink if I want to. Without the weight belt, the flotation is superfluous. At the other extreme, my ex-wife is all skin and bones and sinks in seawater. She always wore a wet suit top just to break even. If you do get a vest, consider the lightweight ones made for snorkelling.

Caveat to the above: the Coast Guard says they rarely recover a dead body with a life jacket, conversely they rarely recover a living sailor without one. So if there is ANY question of safety, wear the darn thing.

No dive knife, it's just not worthwhile in a wading situation. If you feel totally naked without one, get the itty-bitty kind that clips to your chest harness.

Get a strong long-handled scoop. You will be using it constantly and it's easy to break cheap ones.

Chip V.
P.S. All the above statements are preceded by "in my opinion"

ThTx

Dec 19, 2006
Combine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Chip in all except the part about not needing a wetsuit. As a dive instructor I know you lose body heat more than 20 times faster in water than in air. So 80 degree water can chill your body to hypothermic conditions very quickly. A 1 to 3 mil wetsuit can be fairly inexpensive and will be more than worth it if it keeps you hunting instead of trying to regain body temp on the shore. Not only will it help to keep you warm, a 3 mil suit will supply some added buoyancy for any unexpected dips!

goldnugget

Nov 3, 2005
East Coast U S A
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab XP-Pro- MinelabExcaliber -Fisher1260 Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Equinox 800
ThTx said:
I agree with Chip in all except the part about not needing a wetsuit. As a dive instructor I know you lose body heat more than 20 times faster in water than in air. So 80 degree water can chill your body to hypothermic conditions very quickly. A 1 to 3 mil wetsuit can be fairly inexpensive and will be more than worth it if it keeps you hunting instead of trying to regain body temp on the shore. Not only will it help to keep you warm, a 3 mil suit will supply some added buoyancy for any unexpected dips!

Where do i purchase the 1 to 3 mil wet suit. I will be arriving in Florida the 1st week in May to use my Minelab Excaliber. I think I will also try a pair of Nylon Socks, I used cotton last year and sandal's-goldnugget--Charlotte,N.C. [email protected]

ThTx

Dec 19, 2006
Combine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go to any good dive shop. DON'T buy the top of the line - you won't really need it. Get an entry level suit and be sure to try it on. It should fit like a second skin, hard to put on and take off, but that's hte way it is designed.

OP
OP
MrBling

MrBling

Aug 12, 2008
North Florida
Detector(s) used
Thanks for the good info guys.
I'm sure other people will benefit from it as well.

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
ThTx said:

I live in SWF and have been in a 5 mil farmer john (2 piece) since November and needed every bit of it, and some days went to a 7 mil. If U go to a farmer john u can shed either top or bottom when the water warms a bit

ThTx

Dec 19, 2006
Combine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
erikk said:
I live in SWF and have been in a 5 mil farmer john (2 piece) since November and needed every bit of it, and some days went to a 7 mil. If U go to a farmer john u can shed either top or bottom when the water warms a bit

Excellent advice from someone who hunts where you are going to. I'd take it, if it was me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread