Need help buying first metal detector

mnornewbie

Dec 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hello, great site, just found it and just getting into detecting. I have lived in Oregon for a year now and started gold panning and sluicing a little but decided to go back to college after a 14 year career and don't have the time to drive to southern oregon for the weekend very often. So Im selling a item for cash and will have about $1,200 to spend. I have also been getting into finding sterling silver jewelry and silverware at various places.
My thinking is to get into metal detecting. why? It will get me back outdoors alot more. I am in great shape, but have been more of a hermit because of school and money. My thoughts are tons of parks in the portland area to detect, miles of columbia river beaches, state parks - when legal, oregon coast beaches, areas where one might prospect and pan for gold, and others. Willing and able to walk and dig for hours.

So what I am looking for is a new, or slightly used detector with a cap of $1,200
If I can spend less and get the same results, that would be great, but I want the best my money can buy so 2 months later i am crying because i bought the wrong one. This is where it gets tricky. Parks, mountains, and maybe even the dry desert areas of oregon, yet also streams, rivers and coastal beaches. And looking for gold nuggets, grains, and such, yet also different areas that would hold coins, lost jewelry, and such. So does that mean a relic and a nugget finder all in one. And then use in dry dirt yet alot of looking in wet or maybe even in shallow water.

So those are alot of options and I don't know anything about different detectors. I am fairly good with electronics and willing to put in time to learn how to set up a detector, yet I have had top of the line fish/depth finders that have frusterated me so bad that it ruined fishing trips because i didnt have the unit set up right. hopefully you understand what I mean with that, so with all this said, are you confused yet? I am,
please can anyone help, or should I just continue reading thousands of reviews and risk buying the detector the guy at the shop says will work.
Thanks for all of your inputs and time, looking forward to being a new member and friend to you all,
mark

Upvote 0

Digaholic

Sep 17, 2010
Rhode island
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Put $800.00 back in your pocket and invest in a proven used machine. I would suggest a minelab xs if you are confident in your learning ability. This is a great first machine with plenty of challenge and rewards. HH

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First welcome to Tnet. :hello:

I have experience with many detectors and enjoy learning them almost as much as I like finding goodies. There is no detector that is good for all kinds of hunting. Golfers have different clubs for each shot and the detector manufactures advertise their TOYS as do it all when they can't. Many start out with a more simple detector just to see if it is for them and soon feel the need to upgrade. Thats OK as if it isn't for them they haven't spent a lot of $$$ on something that will sit in the closet.

Many detectors that you can take in the water to get'em wet are not much use for tiny nuggets. A few try hard but they still lack something. An example is the Garrett AT Pro and AT GOLD. Check these out. I am not a big fan of screens as many lie to you and you leave stuff in the ground, but some like them. I feel it takes away the fun and surprise of uncovering it. For pure land detecting at parks and beaches something like the White's DFX or MXT might be the ticket for you.

I am a diver and mainly water hunt so I need waterproof detectors like the Excalibur, CZ-21 and Tiger Shark. Stay away from the Pulse detectors to start as they have almost no disc and find hairpins at near two feet. A park managers nightmare for the damage to the grass. You should start with one that has manual ground balance so you will get max depth. Your options are many so enjoy the research on which to buy too. Read all you can and subscribe to Western & Eastern Treasures magazine. Their ad is on the top of this page.

Good Luck,
Sandman

Attachments

• at gold.jpg
    at gold.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 1,254

Weasel

Greenie
Feb 18, 2011
North Idaho
Detector(s) used
Garrett Scorpion gold stinger
Mark,

I bought two machines used. A Garrett gold stinger from a pawn shop for $150 and a Fisher goldbug 2
off Craigslist for $300. I haven't taken them out as of yet, but this summer I will get to test them out on the streams etc.
I sent the Garrett back to the factory for a check-up at no cost to me. The Fisher GB2 I will have to wait until later, but I feel it is in good condition.
Get a used machine if you can.

Have a great Christmas everyone.

Weasel

Hosensack

Apr 20, 2007
Mertztown, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Safari,X-Terra 705, Tesoro Tejon, Whites DFX, Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500, 250, Fisher Gold Bug DP,F75 Limited
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1)Sovereign GT is probably the best all around option for the spots you've mentioned as it will be well above average in most conditions (shallow water not a great idea bound to get the box wet) and it won't leave you needing a bigger better machine.

2) X-Terra 705 is a nice mid range choice with the flexibility to switch it up and run it as a gold machine with a coil change.

3) AT Pro or Gold are both good options and give you the benefit of shallow water(8-10ft.) hunting, they lack a little in comparison to the upper end machine but it is very little and the versatility makes up for it.

4) As Sandman mentioned the DFX is a great option as well, it is on par with the Sovereign GT but with VID. I still give the GT the nod but you can get a used DFX for less.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread