need help choosing detector!!!

scottyb

Jan 17, 2013
Hey fellers,

i'm trying to decide which detector to buy and its drivin me crazy!! my brother who is currently using a Minelab GP3000 says to get a Minelab GP series PERIOD!!! He's been detecting 20 yrs now and i dont doubt his expertise.. but $5-6k is a HUGE chunk of change and i need to finance a large portion of this purchase..he says the areas we are detecting in make the Minelab the only option..i'm just not convinced that maybe the GARRETT APX which is half the cost wont work just as well!!! i am not completely new to detecting but i am a rookie at this type of prospecting... i have used his gp3000 with decent results..the problem is, i have not tried any other brands.we prospect/detect in new mexico and arizona primarily which we all know is highly mineralized..i prefer to buy new to avoid getting someone elses headache along with the warranty and the finance options that are available..also buying used limits the finance options..my lil brother is biased, as he has had great results with his minelab and HAS used many other brands..just cant quite get him to understand why i am considering a different brand..(brothers...oooof)....any input is greatly appreciated!!! thanks in advance..
Scotty b

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there any way you could borrow or rent a detector to try it out before you buy? Do you belong to a club so you could get another member let you see how different ones work for you? Try asking the dealers for help on that.

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Scotty -

Welcome to Tnet.

It sounds like you are in mineralized gold country... in which case you would do well with a Minelab GPX (since you mentioned new... the GP is the older version but can only be found used). It still is the best of the best right now, although from all appearances the new Garrett ATX does show that Garrett has stepped up their game. :icon_thumleft:

I haven't been able to run a ATX yet, so I don't have a direct comparison... but here is what I can tell you from what I have observed from the side so far... my opinions could change when I finally pick up the ATX but I'll go with this for now.

The GPX will find things deeper than the ATX, and with its timings (think modes) you will have several different ways to set up the detector. Some will optimize finer gold, some coarser gold.
The GPX has a huge advantage in coil options... I think the Garrett has only 2 or three so far. But it will get more in time. More coil options can mean more options to optimize your hunting... get the right coil for the right conditions.

The ATX is waterproof. That is a huge plus in some hunts. It also appears to be quite forgiving in a high-EMI envornment, based on reports I see. And its quite a bit cheaper than the GPX. It may not find everything that the GPX finds but it should find a high percentage of it. Its a way better option than anything out there other than the GPX from what I can see.

Now if you want to talk relic hunting with the GPX, I can get a whole lot more specific about that as I have a ton of time on the GPX 5000 in the relic fields of Virginia. In those conditions the differences are similiar... the GPX is still the king but the ATX is gaining ground and is a good option to consider.

There is one highly variable factor in deciding upon any detector... the operator. They take time to learn to operate properly... each has a language of its own. no detector can be operated efficently without taking the time to understand what its telling you. I'm not sure which is easier to understand, but I know on the first day out with the GPX 5000 I found more relics than the previous five hunts combined. Part of it was the machine's ability to see it... part of it was the ease of understanding what its saying. I found the GPX easy to understand, you may not.

If I can help in any way, feel free to give me a call. Maybe we can work out some sort of deal on a GPX to your liking. 8-) But then your brother might feel the need to upgrade! :laughing9:

Last edited:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Well, the Minelab GP series are great gold detectors, but pricy as you stated. I have seen the video on the ATX and if it lives up to it's claims, it will make a great gold prospector. AS a bonus, it is probably about $2K cheaper. I also like the design of the ATX packaging. It boils down to is the ATX good enough for you or is the GP worth the extra $2K for your use. Frank... 111-1 profile.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread