Need Help Finding Map /Wisconsin

pastfinder

Feb 7, 2005
You can find maps of Wisconsin by going through this website:
historyoncd.tripod.com. There are 60 maps of Wisconsin, printed from 1850 to 1910 available.

Rex McDaniel
historyoncd.tripod.com

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gypsy,
I have an 1875 atlas of Wisconsin, but can't find Price county listed. Was it once part of Lincoln county?
There wasn't much there in 1875.
Lincoln county went from the state of Michigan (to the north) to Marathon county (to the south).

OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
hey bk...thats cool....I am trying to find a map that has Jump River on it. If you go straight above Marathon County, is Lincoln..To the NW corner of Lincoln...would be Price ....Towns Like Prentice,Kennan, Ogema,Phillips.....Is there any way I could get a scan of that from you ? Thanks

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I tried to scan a copy of Lincoln county from an atlas from 1878, but I can't get it small enough to post. If I reduce the size you can't see anything. I did discover that Price and several other nearby counties did not exist in 1878. Only Lincoln, Ashland, Chippewa, and Taylor. It looks like they sub-divided Lincoln and Chippewa counties.
The map I have is the "Historical Atlas of Wisconsin" 1878 by Snyder, Van Vechten & Co.
If you look this up on the internet, it will link you to several Wisconsin counties, including Lincoln or Ashland, but I don't think you can view the actual maps. Sorry. I hope you find what you're looking for.

nedigger

Sep 30, 2004
Omaha, NE
Here is a section from an 1897 map. I hope this is helpful. HH.

Attachments

• image_wisconsin 1897c.jpg
    image_wisconsin 1897c.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 255

newtocoinhunting

Jan 16, 2006
Nebraska, USA
You may have already tried these resources, but here's where I would go:

I would first recommend checking with the local Register of Deeds office:

REGISTER OF DEEDS
PRICE COUNTY COURTHOUSE
126 CHERRY STREET
PHILLIPS, WI 54555
Phone: (715) 339-2515
[email protected]

Then maybe check out these other sources if the Register of Deeds doesn't have the map you are looking for:

Jump River Valley Historical Society
N4519 Moonshine Alley
Catawba, WI 54515 Phone: 715-474-3453

Knox Creek Heritage Center
N4517 W Knox Rd
Brantwood, WI 54513 Phone: 715-564-2525

Price County Genealogical Society
165 Wyoming St
Phillips, WI 54555

Price County Historical Society
W7213 Pine St
P.O. Box 156
Fifield, WI 54524-0156
Phone: 715-339-2254

Just to note, Price County was established March 3rd, 1879.

Z

ZumbroKid

Nice map of my home area, not much has changed. Section numbered 35, just north of hwy 8 above morrisons is where I'm from. What you seek is best obtained from the old timers of the area.

OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Thanks everyone....I appreciate the help.
Free in Montana ( ;))...do you see how Kennan was spelled..Kennon.....and I found out that Morrisons was actually Pennington.Morrisons was the Stage Stop and then after the rail came in the changed it to Pennington.I also found out that Pennington had an underground tunnel....now why would that be.....

nedigger

Sep 30, 2004
Omaha, NE
Here is 1879 (Price county not yet shown) but the same approximate area.

Attachments

• image_wisconsin 1879a.jpg
    image_wisconsin 1879a.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 247
OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Thank You so Much...That is what I was looking for....Where Jump River and Jump Creek originally divided...Old Indian camp there and I have diary that tells of old trappers cabins there in 1860 .....

nedigger

Sep 30, 2004
Omaha, NE
It appears that Jump Creek was renamed Main Creek sometime prior to 1897. I'm glad I could be of assistance. Now go find some goodies and post them on here for us all to drool over. :) HH.

OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Virtually nothing has changed in that area since those maps were made...what I am having difficulty with is that the river has branched into several more creeks and the original Jump Creek dwindled...so finding the exact spot has been a challenge...alot of backpacking into the backwoods ...have found the Indian camp ...its those trapper cabins I am looking for now ....Thanks again for your help...as soon as it thaws I will be back there again....

Badger Bart

Mar 24, 2005
Gypsy, This may help.. The DNR publishes a book of all trout streams in Wisc. The publication number is 6-3600(74). I am fairly certain that the 74 in parenthases is the year of publication for my copy. I don't know if they still publish it, but check with them. Wisc. has over 1500 trout streams and they vary in size from trickling brooks to chest deep whitewater. Price Co. only has 201 miles of trout streams, so that should narrow it down substantially for you. LOL Local libraries may have older copies of this book, Rib Lake for example. Medford has a nice new library, county maps, topo's, geo surveys. I bought my copy at a local antique store, another source for info.

I was born in this area, and still live not too far from there. If all else fails, I could make copies of this for you, let me know. I'm thinking this book could be a handy reference for the sort of thing you and others are searching for. These cabins would most likely be along a stream, close to the game they were trapping. You are right about nothing changing in this neck of the woods, but the deer hunters get all over these places, you may want to talk to the most knowledgeable hunter in the area also. I'd almost bet they could pinpoint what you seek. Check the sporting goods stores for locating these characters.
Bart

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread