Need help finding roofing nails in my yard

Paul0709

Aug 3, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't have a metal detector. My daughter and her friends want to play in our yard, but I keep finding nails in our yard after our new roof was installed. Questions:

1. Will detectors find roofers nails?

2. Anyone interested in making $20 to go over my yard to help me find the nails before somebody's bare feet find one?

(I can rent a detector for $16 for a day, but would prefer to pay someone who knows what they are doing.)

We live in Frankfort, Kentucky.

Paul

[email protected]

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ding ding ding, we have a winner! magnet will do

GMD52

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2013
Lake Champlain, Vt.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most roofers today are using air coil-nail guns, and those are steel nails.....I hab=ve always used a 36 in. magnet on a wheel frame that came from Northern Tools, and it picks up anything, even dropped tools,

OP
OP
P

Paul0709

Aug 3, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The roofers rolled a big wheeled magnet around, but some of the steel nails are either snagged in the grass or they just missed rolling that area. They aren't aluminum nails. I chose this particular roofer because they are (A) highly rated on Angie's List and (B) only hand nail -- they don't use pneumatic nailers, which are a leading reason why many shingle warranty claims are denied after they are nailed at too high a velocity and go through the shingle.

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if you mow the grass short the magnet will work...i bought one at lowes for less than 20.00. all the nails will be near the house with the most concentrations around where the old shingles were thrown into the truck..and after you are done with it the magnet is handy to have around the house for finding lost nuts and bolts and tool etc. that you have dropped...have a good day

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will also agree on using a magnet, when my house was rebuilt after a fire, we would daily go around with a magnet to pick up what was dropped on the ground, I used and use to this day one of those old CB antennas what were magnetic, the length of the antenna is great, no bending required to use.

AC500

Apr 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd be pretty P.O'ed, I remember my brother had his roof done last year, you'd be hard pressed to find a single nail. These guys need to come back and clean up the right way.

claygold

Nov 3, 2012
Hey i use a old speaker magnet when i need to find dropped nails screws tools ect tie a string to it an it workes well

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A magnet might do you well, but I'd say that it would be more efficient to rent out a metal detector. If you find a signal with the detector, you can hit the pinpoint button and determine how deep the object is. If you're only looking or recently dropped nails, then you should only dig shallow signals. Or you could just have a local meal detectorist do it for you :)
C4C

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your place is old enough to be worth detecting, & you promise the person
the right to search the whole yard for relics & coins also,
You should get some help.

I don't know how old your Daughter & her friends are, But If you don't get any Offers,

Make a Game out of it.

Get a few Magnets & offer the Girls a dime, or Quarter each, for every nail they bring you.
Of course this only works if they are Young, but not Too young to be trusted piking up nails without eating them or stabbing themselves.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Company that roofed my house in winter assured me the rolling magnet would not leave nails,a condition to their doing the work as we own champion and better dogs among the great number of them in general.
lyin scums!
For days dogs were finding shingle pieces with nails.Course i,d paid them with out checking for nails.
i picked a small coffee can of them from all around the house using detector and wheel chair.. many out in front yard where dumpster was too. i let them know they are out further work as a result but still a pain. A patient gridding the best way to remove them and they ring up nice and easy.A rented detector,swing it over a sample roofing nail matching yours to fine tune and its only a matter of time after that.

coinbug

Jul 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher Goldbug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a big old house, and recently had the roof removed, new sheeting and shingles put on, and the garage and buggy shed re-roofed as well. The roofers didn't leave any nails - I've been detecting in my yard and have only found old stuff. They were super-careful around the garage, as the driveway is unpaved, and they pointed out to me that if they weren't careful I'd get flat tires.

I didn't realize how lucky I was until I read your post!

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was pulling nails out of my tires for 6 months till I realized it was the neighbors next door had the roof re done. Im not sure how they traveled that far, but a detector and heavy duty magnet from harbor freight helps. Its a great time to start a new hobby, get your self a detector. You will be surprised at what you find in the yard.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread