Need help - how to clean these?

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
Hello,

I came by some killer finds today, but I need some help with advice on how to clean and preserve them. The first object is a handgun of unknown age. I found the handle 15 feet from the gun - the plow must have done a number on it. The trigger guard is also missing, and I plan to go look for it later. I have been told by a friend that electrolysis is a good method for cleaning such objects, and I have used it on a small scale with success. But that was for silver coins and jewelry, would that be as good for this? And if so, is the process the same? Glass container, water, salt, lemon juice, and the conductor?
bang bang.JPG
The second object is a large cent. There appears to be a thin layer packed onto both sides of the coin. Could I wet the coin and pick it away with a toothpick? Or would that be a big no-no? This is my first LC, so I have no clue how to go about cleaning such a find. I am new to the dirt in general to be honest, So there is a lot for me to learn yet.
The dime in the photo seems to be stained. I have not scrubbed or rubbed or used any cleaner on it, and do not want to do so without an idea of what works. Is the stain a permanent feature? Do I risk killing the value by trying to clean it a little?
seated dime and LC.JPG
Thank you in advance for any advice or suggestions. I appreciate any input or feedback you wish to impart. I do not want to harm any of these objects, so I am hoping to get a good idea beforehand of what works, and try it on a less valuable object first.

Thank you,
Anthony

Attachments

• bang bang.JPG
    bang bang.JPG
    186.4 KB · Views: 422
  • seated dime and LC.JPG
    seated dime and LC.JPG
    129.9 KB · Views: 439
Electrolysis won't hurt the gun at all. You will be surprised at how well it will clean up. Some people use baking soda, I use washing soda. I preserve my iron by spraying wd-40 on it. When dry I coat with lacquer. That's my method. Other people would have their own way to preserve it.

Thank you for the reply. I have used electrolysis on small silver coins and jewelry that I have found on the beach with success, but I have never heard of using washing or baking soda. I have used salt and lemon juice mixed in the water, a stainless steel spoon, and an ac adaptor with alligator clips on the ends. Is this not the method for cleaning iron?
Thank you,
Anthony

I used peroxide on the LC per Don's method. I am not sure if I did it right, as the coin just is not what I had hoped for. I could make out the date at least, 1849. Strange thing about it is that the letters and numbers in ONE CENT and the date appear to be recessed, instead of raised.

I used electrolysis very briefly on the dime, and it is much less dirty. Was very pleased til I looked at it under magnification, and the coin is horribly scratched, but only under magnification. Not sure if I did that, or if it was like that initially. Only left it in for about 3 miniutes total. Oh, and the alligator clip made a small dent ont he rim too :(.

I don't use stainless steel. I've read that it gives off a poisonous gas. Instead I mainly use old lawn mower blades or circular saw blades. I put enough wash soda in the water to make it feel slippery.

Narthoniel said:
I used peroxide on the LC per Don's method. I am not sure if I did it right, as the coin just is not what I had hoped for. I could make out the date at least, 1849. Strange thing about it is that the letters and numbers in ONE CENT and the date appear to be recessed, instead of raised.

I used electrolysis very briefly on the dime, and it is much less dirty. Was very pleased til I looked at it under magnification, and the coin is horribly scratched, but only under magnification. Not sure if I did that, or if it was like that initially. Only left it in for about 3 miniutes total. Oh, and the alligator clip made a small dent ont he rim too :(.

I am sorry you were not pleased with the results :(

Not all coins will clean up well, and I would not think your first time cleaning them would be perfect.
Can I see a picture of the results?
You could see a date on the large cent, that more then you had when you started :thumbsup:
You said the letters looked recessed, that could be because they chipped off, you have to watch out for that when you are cleaning.
I have a Large cent I can show you later were this happened bad, and I had to stop cleaning it or lose all detail. I did not even get to use peroxide.

As far as the silver, scratches under magnification are normal. The coin has been in the ground, its abrasive. I would like to see
a pic of both coins if you could.

HH,
Donny

I have always used olive oil on my copper coins. It is a natural preservative as well as a good cleaner. It may take time for some coins to clean up using it, but I don't think you can harm a coin with it. It softens the organic crud on coins , then remove the crud with toothpicks. I like olive oil because it leaves the hard green patina on the coin. If you try to take off that patina you can end up with a clean coin that is so etched that it is often hard to tell what it was.

The dime looks like it has the classic "salt water oxidation". This light green/grey/black oxidation on silver coins is actually etched into the surface of the coin. If there is no visible crud on a blackened coin, it doesn't necessarily have to be cleaned. For the most part, this kind of oxidation can be removed with "non-sudsing ammonia". It will leave the surface with a hazy or etched appearance or a blotchy whitish coloration.

No two coins ever seem to clean up the same. Some will come out great while some won't!

Cleaning coins is a personal thing! If I have a cruddy coin that I never intend to sell, I would rather clean it to the point where it will at least be recognizable.

Good luck! HH

Here are some photos of the coins cleaned. The LC was wet so it appears more green. When dry, it is more white.
1849 LC.JPG
1859 Seated Dime.JPG
Here are two coins I found today that I cleaned in the same manner. This LC cleaned up much easier, but, it is horribly worn, as you can see. Only "TATES OF" is visible on the reverse, and the obverse has no detail at all. It perterbs me, I like to at least know when it was made :(. The half dime was a surprise, but it cleaned up a little. It was very similar in detail to the dime before cleaning.
No Date LC.JPG
1857 Half Dime.JPG

As for the salt oxidation - the soil here is very sandy, and it is not far from the ocean. Now that you mention it, the silver coins I have found at the beach look very similar. Thanks for the comments and suggestions MEin WV.

Anthony

I'm not sure of the peroxide method you use, but, this is the one I use and it works great.
I use a small plastic condiment cup, pour in about 2 inches of peroxide and then put it in the microwave and
heat it until it boils, then remove from the micro, and insert the coin. it will start to bubble and fizz right away,
I leave it in there until the bubbles stop, then remove and rinse well. It usually removes everything but the patina, with one treatment.

I do about the same, except instead of wrinsing in water, I use a Qtip to gentle wipe the coin. Don's guide to cleaning suggested using that, so that is what I did.

I think that 1849 cleaned up real well if you asked me.
Here is that Large cent I wanted to show you, one of my worst shape ones.

DSC02450.JPG

DSC02451.JPG

With the patina like that, any further cleaning will likely take off the date and
most other details.
You can just see it at the bottom of the patina, an 1853.
This one was found in a soggy hay field with a variety of others.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,157710.0.html

HH,
Donny

Wow, that looks a lot like the second LC from this site. I sure hope that is remains the worst I ever find, I cannot even get the date.

I found two fat indians today, and the patina looks a lot like the LC there - what detail is left is highlighted by the remaining patina.

hmm, I might have to try that.I was also told vinegar will take off everything, including the patina. I am ok with that, would like this coin to look more like it once did, but he said it changes the color a little.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back